H22, B18, LS, 454 I'm so confused???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

friz

A month ago I knew that I wanted a gsr swap in my 93 lx sedan. But after reading posts on this site for a month I am not so sure. I have worked in the car biz since I was a kid. Have owned a 280ZX turbo and have driven alot of fast cars. Now I am "Married with children" and do not have the same budget for cars that I once had. I drive my honda 120 miles round trip to work every day. It currently has 145k on it and I am planning a once over this winter including a swap. My honda is fun as is, but I want it to be as exciting as some of the cars from my youth. What would you guys recommend? By the way I have experience engine building and fabricating so I am up to the challange of what ever you can throw at me.

By the way I have really enjoyed reading your posts.

1st things 1st...find out how much money you're willing to spend...find out how fast you want to go....and then try to determine what you think would best fit your needs.

I've had the same motor and tranny sitting in my garage for 8 months. I still almost change my mind on a daily basis on what I want to do with my car. If you've got a wife and kids, that may be a deciding factor in your build. So will the 120 mile round trip that you make everyday.

Personally, I think a GSR swap is the best all-around/cost-effective motor that can be put into a civic chassis. I'm sure others will differ. All motor or turbo, a b18c1 will be exciting to drive and put down decent numbers. Some people would rather do a b16 swap, while others will say ls/turbo, crvtec, a mini-me or whatever. It's all about what you want out of your car and how much you're willing to spend.

I am doing this instead of buying a new si. I drove the new si and was not that impressed. I like the way my G5 looks and drives, almost as well. (Although the little steering wheel an stick location were really cool.) I don't want boost. I don't like the unattached feeling you get through the gas pedal. In my 280zx I had a good three second count before the turbo spooled up. I am willing to spend, but not foolishly, thats why I am asking for your advice. My dream is a reliable 12 second daily driver. how close can I get?

b20 crvtec all motor and slicks might get you close

B18a all the way good for daily driving. Eazy swap and cheap compared to most. Hell if you ever want to it is just right for boost. I got one in my 5G hatch and love it. I am saleing my other one for $650 but if no one buys it by the end of this month i'm putting it in my del sol :)

OK To get get to 2 liters, am I better off stroking the B18c or going for the crv motor ( The crv motor doesn't show very good numbers). I have noticed that no one has anything to say about an H22 swap. With a modified engine what ecu upgrades will I need to make. Hondata etc. Speaking of compression, How much compression can i have and still use pump gas.

Thanks for the replies

crvtec...... buy a b20 and put a vtec head on. calesta has one/had one read up on what parts and stuff he use..... theres a link in every post he makes

I wouldn't use an H22 because your ride and suspension will be Sizzzit. Way to heavy.

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Aug 2 2003, 12:32 PM
h22 is like 60 pounds heavier then a b something or other

Yeah the H22 motor isn't really much heavier than the b-series. What the problem with the H-Series is, is the positioning of the motor and the way the block leans. (Leans backwards instead of straight/forward i believe - Not too sure) And the fact that its hard to position it just right, even with good aftermarket mounts, it throws off the handling incridibly. So if you want the ease of a fairly simple yet very good swap, IMO i would go with a B18C1. Or if your up to the chanlenge, do the suggested CRVtec swap. Its a little more time comsuming yet its cost affective when it comes to building because you would have awesome displacement and you wont have to shell out the many $$$$ to stroke a B18C1. Just my $.02

if your even thinking of doing a crvtec build, just skip the b20 block completely and have a gsr block sleeved to 84-85 mm.

i say gsr block because it comes with piston oil squirters and a crank girdle already. so it will be able to handle the added power much better.

if you want to really bump compression get a hondata ecu and have it tuned. these are much higher quality than anything else on the market.

on the endyn web site they did a crvtec build that was completely n/a and was able to hit more than 300 whp at over 10,000 rpm. so this can be a VERY POWERFUL build.

Thanks for all the help. You guys have got me back on the B-series track. I will probably be going over to engine building to explore my b-series options.

Many Thanks

I think you would be very happy with a b20/vtec but ive talked to a lot of ppl and some that are building them and its very very time consuming and gets up there in money....no one ever thinks about the non-vtec integra motor...its very strong (b18b-ls) the rods are able to take hella hp, and compression is low, so its perfect for boost. personaly for a daily driver i think the only way youll hit 12's is with boost but some ppl will disagree...

Originally posted by 96civic4door@Aug 13 2003, 11:55 PM
personaly for a daily driver i think the only way youll hit 12's is with boost but some ppl will disagree...

Yes. I'm one of them. I disagree with you. :p

go for the 454 as stated in the description in the post.

hehehehe jk

I like the idea of the CR/VTEC build...mmmm tasty

personally i have a 2.0L LS/VTEC... i say go with a GSR as Brian stated... it would probably be the best bet for you... you can make high HP, nice Torque and make 12 sec. passes...

Canek [dvs_prelude on hondaswap] just hit a 12.7 [i think] in bakersfield... when i was with him in fontana he was hitting 13.1's

mind you this is ALL MOTOR, DAILY DRIVEN...

so again i say go with a GSR

B) B)

if going on motor get some good gearing like from the JDM R, it has a decent lsd, great 1-5th and a awesome final drive.

You can go fast with oem parts also, GSR bottom, oversized ITR pistons, CTR cams, ITR intake manny, hondata, smsp header, testy, 2.5 back, decent intake.

It can be done, the more research you do the better the chances you will come out with a good bang for the buck ride.

Milan

Back