H22 build help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

H22AdelSol

Hey I need some questions answered about boost.
First of all ive got about $10,000 to spend, i am leaning more towards boost but my mechanic says turbo will be a lot more unreliable and every couple of months something could break, such as blown motor. He told me turbos are really hard on the engine and run hot on hondas, that my motor would probaly last 60k miles. He said if i accidently misfhit i could blow the motor easily. Whether or not this is entirely true is what im asking.

Going turbo or NA obviously will not have any corners cut, Hondata would be used on both of them, built head and bottom end, injectors the whole nine yards to building a motor for turbo. I would be running at least 15PSI at the track and low as possible on the street. I dont need or can afford to be fixing it all the time. It needs to be somewhat reliable. Wierd idling, waiting for warmup and cool down is not a concern to me, just if its going to break all the time even if its built right. thanks

I think he is just trying to warn me of all the extremes. I had him extend my civic wiring harness and he did an awesome job, he added in the correct wires for the egr and iab sensors with plugs, looks like the harness was stock from the factory. But that is beyond the point. Im confident that he knows what he is doing.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Mar 1 2004, 08:59 PM
If tuned correctly a turboed honda can be as relible as any other car.

:truedat:

just don't drive the shit out of it all day everyday, or the likelyhood that something might go wrong can increase.

your mechanic blows lol jk....he right in someways and wrong in others...if you build it right, dont worry about it. if you spend the money on making it "bulletproof", you should put it to the test by pushing it to the limits....if your wanting 600whp for a daily driver and want it to run like a stock motor, thats not going to happen...with the power comes stress, more money and time spend to get it to a "reliable" point...i think you know what i mean man....btw thanx for the map :thumbsup:

my DSM is boosted.....and surprisingly (shut up lol) its as reliable as my accord was
with 10k you can run a very reliable system....its all about fuel
basically boost to what you need....just remember though, after a certain hp level shit just starts to break

btw thanx for the map

heh your welcome

Yeah ill make sure i dont cut any corners, originally i wasnt going to go with hondata but know that i think of it, i would be better off going with it and having it tuned right.

ok, i'm at work... time to explain.

stock = relaible. end of story.

when you get into the modding world, and thus, more power, shit breaks. I don't care how you get the more power, shit breaks.

nascar = allmotor v8s. they rebuild them and blow up all the time.
F1 = all motor v10s and v12s. they rebuild them and blow up all the time.
indy lites = turbo v8s. they blow up and rebuild them all the time.

see a pattern?

Calesta bombed the fuck out of 2 crvtec all motor builds, on moderatly high compression (12-13)- tuned.
joe schmoe with the fmu running 15 psi on a t3/t4 will bomb the shit out of his z6 in no time at all.

If you miss shift a CX motor- hit 2nd gear at 100 mph - it will gernade too.

all turbos run hot. compression releases heat as a byproduct. that's where intercooling comes in. as long as you don't live in the desert, you'll run just slighty above ambient temps most the time- the difference from driving in 50 deg whether vs 70- deg wheter is neglible, wouldn't you say?

The thing is- is that high power = high risk.
if you're not willing to take that risk, you're in the wrong sport.

I know several people with 350+ whp cars who haven't touched them in over 3 years of daily driving, other than typical main. stuff like oil changes, and checking on the hose clamps, etc.

ANYTHING is only as reliable as it's built.

all motor. the expensive way to go slow.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Mar 2 2004, 12:07 AM
driving a 600whp daily driver would get old really fast.

haha...only if your craving more power which i doubt youll need...

with that kinda horsepower you should be able to feather it until you get moving and then open it up and still beat the competition B)

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Mar 2 2004, 09:37 AM
with that kinda horsepower you should be able to feather it until you get moving and then open it up and still beat the competition B)

easier said than done when you don't have real traction till 5th gear

BRo you said you have ten grand? you could easily get all the parts and work done for less than that for a build and boost that would be bullit proof.

Back