H22 closed deck?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
What does a closed deck do or mean? I heard on the 92-96 prelude over here have the closed deck, and all jdm...but the 97+ do not. Whats the pros and cons of this? Thanks

<--noob still learning :worthy:

Your above statements are correct.

Open deck means that there is a water jacket between the cylinder walls and the block. Pros are better cooling. Cons are weaker cylinder walls.

Closed deck means it's solid between the block and the sleeves. Pros and cons are the opposite of open deck.

Can anyone help me out with any pictures for illustration purposes?

is a closed deck faster, cuz I have a friend who drives 96 Prelude with H22a1 in it and he is jest killing the new stile Ludes.....

No, the 4th gen Preludes are a heck of alot lighter, and don't have all the OBD2 messiness to deal with. The 5th gen Preludes only have 5 more horsepower, so their power/torque-to-weight ratios aren't as good as the 4th gen's.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Nov 20 2003, 06:13 PM

Open deck means that there is a water jacket between the cylinder walls and the block. Pros are better cooling. Cons are weaker cylinder walls.

Closed deck means it's solid between the block and the sleeves. Pros and cons are the opposite of open deck.

Gotcha, thanx dohc

If this is true and i'm understanding this correctly, B-series use open deck correct?

Also, does anyone know why they changed the H series from closed to open?
Just a curious guy...IN A CAR KINDA WAY!! :ph34r:

Originally posted by Sleepyboi925@Nov 21 2003, 01:54 AM
how would i know if the h22a motor i have is a 4th generation or a 5th generation?

Did you buy a JDM engine?

Check the date stamp on the head, located right above the exhaust manifold. You'll probably have to remove the stock heat shield to see it.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD+Nov 21 2003, 02:09 AM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@Nov 20 2003, 06:13 PM

Gotcha, thanx dohc

If this is true and i'm understanding this correctly, B-series use open deck correct?

Also, does anyone know why they changed the H series from closed to open?
Just a curious guy...IN A CAR KINDA WAY!! :ph34r:

No problem.

Yes, you're correct, B-series, along with every other Honda engine, are open deck. The only ones to use closed deck are 4th-gen H-series engines.

I don't know why Honda did that with the 4th gen's only. My guess is, that, Honda always used the Prelude to test out new technology (ATTS, 4WS, etc.). I can only guess that they used the Prelude as a guinea pig for closed-deck engines.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Nov 20 2003, 04:13 PM

I love quoting myself. :D

Back