H22/H23 franken swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleeper485

hey im new to this site ad ill tell you what it already looks better then most of the honda sites ive belong to, and maybe i could get better info here.
i know the subject has been brought up before but i really would like to know about the h22/h23 hybrid. i already know that putting type-s pistons and cams in the h23 is pretty effective{dont tell me otherwise ive seen it done} but im super curious about this frankenstien motor. ive had people tell me ill lose vtec and horse power. i thought h23 was vtec and i really dont understand why id lose it. ive seen some wacky shit like a oddysey block with pilot heads in an accord v6 body with nitrous, why the fuck anyone would do that mix is beyond me, but that things got some friggin power. i just want some answers and im sick of hearing bullshit from ricers and people hyjaking my threads, and im especially sick of putting up these threads at midnight trying to think of what motor i want to put in my car. please help me.

First off, yeah, check the sticky at the top of the forum. Some great questions and answers.

Second, as 4short said, there is such a thing as an H23 VTEC from the factory, but they only appeared in Japan in the Accord wagon for a year or two, and as such, are hard to find for a decent price. Otherwise, 99% of the H23 engines out there are not VTEC.

If done correctly, you won't lose horsepower or torque. However, if you read through the sticky, you'll see that you're going to spend way too much money for what you're getting.

Also, on a side note, I'm curious as to why you'd put Type S cams in an H23 head? I can see the Type S pistons, as they've got a pretty high CR, but the VTEC cams in a non-VTEC head seem pretty worthless to me.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Aug 3 2004, 09:22 AM
Also, on a side note, I'm curious as to why you'd put Type S cams in an H23 head? I can see the Type S pistons, as they've got a pretty high CR, but the VTEC cams in a non-VTEC head seem pretty worthless to me.
[post=371904]Quoted post[/post]​

Not to mention impossible.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Aug 4 2004, 02:30 PM-->
@Aug 4 2004, 02:56 PM
Not to mention impossible.
[post=372637]Quoted post[/post]​

I was gonna say that, but I wasn't 100% sure.
[post=372646]Quoted post[/post]​

ya, on the non vtec motors, the cam caps are right where the vtec lobes would normally be.

Back