H22/h23 Hybrid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I don't know who you are, but yes, I try not to lie at all, and if I see that I said something thats wrong, I like to fess up to it right away and change it.

I will do the most detailed, rediculous article for you guys. I have alot more interest in it since its my own car.

Also, what will be fun, is I will release a "Video" of the G-Sensor datalogging accelleration, skid pad, etc.

So we can compare the cornering to a Ferrari Enzo or something. I wonder if I can hit 1.1 G's in the Turns. My friends track car hits 1.3 G's on the turns BARELY. Of course, its a full race car.

Jeff

ok, does anyone if an h23 crank will fit to a h22a block and head, and is it good or bad

hey im new here but i would just like to suggest that the best way to do this is to find someone that has already done it and ask all the ??? you can. ive only seen one and it was owned by a shop in miami. it was a 23 block with a 22 head turbo in a gutted hatch. never seen it run but im sure the parashoot in the back wasnt put there for looks. anyways the shops name is RICKY'S. however i do not recomend buying anything from him unless your willing to give up your first born. but he should provide you some kind of info. :ph34r:

hey whats up. i saw all the posts and curiousity about the H22/H23 ls vtec H style questions. well im doing a h22/h23 right now its done just got to pick up the bottom end and put my motor back together. we'll se what i dyno and i will post it here. just for info. on the H motors the bores are the same and u can bore em i think a max of 25 over. 30 over and u run out of the coating thats on the cylinder walls of the block. what i did was bore mine out 25 over running h23 rods cuz the longer stroke, H23 crank(micro polished), type s oversized H22 pistons with floating wrist pins and the rods have to be prept to fit these pistons. i dynoed 205 hp at 7400rpm and 160lbs. of torque at 5900 with the 22 before with stock head stock h22 block stock cams with type s pistons and the bolt ons i mentioned tuned by sinister in morgan hill,ca. we'll see what no.s i put down now. thats all i have done to the block the head now has a stage 3 port with upgraded Valves,springs, etc. with stock ported intake manifold. no cams stock. emm intake, header(kamikaze4-1)clutch,flywheel,pulley,skunk2 sohc ecu chip, i think p28. and vtec cont. with fuel reg. as everything else stock. im hope i put out at least 210hp with 175 or so torque. but the thing is when you bore out this motor you have to break it in not sure how many miles till break in but i will find out tommorow. then i will dyno , i guess i have to keep it under 3000rpms for a while. that sucks but i will post the hp no.s soon.

Quoted post[/post]]
ok, does anyone if an h23 crank will fit to a h22a block and head, and is it good or bad
yes everything is pretty much universal in H series motors. bore same. h23 has a longer stroke. if u use a the h23 crank your gonna have to use the H23 rods cuz of the different stoke length other wise u will drop compression if u use the 22 ones. or have custom rods made or upgraded h23 rods so that the lengths are the same as far as the piston it doesnt matter same bore size, unless bored out but then everyone should know that. then u get into custom shit.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
yes everything is pretty much universal in H series motors. bore same. h23 has a longer stroke. if u use a the h23 crank your gonna have to use the H23 rods cuz of the different stoke length other wise u will drop compression if u use the 22 ones. or have custom rods made or upgraded h23 rods so that the lengths are the same as far as the piston it doesnt matter same bore size, unless bored out but then everyone should know that. then u get into custom shit.

The townsend car just went 11.4 in the 11Xmph

H23 crank and rods in a "stock" jdm h22 with a b-series tranny.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

The townsend car just went 11.4 in the 11Xmph

H23 crank and rods in a "stock" jdm h22 with a b-series tranny.
that is extremely fast..i dont think it takes much to get big no.s out of an H22 motor. these motors put out 210hp easily with all bolt ons no internals. i think its the best motor to go with if you going all motor with a honda.

i guess, but really i think that b is the way to go...we havent done it yet, but i think we could get over 700 out of a b...its on the list of things to do before i die.

I WILL HAVE MY CAR DYNOED NEXT WEEK IM GONNA GO PICK MY BLOCK UP TODAY. BUT I HAVE A BREAK IN PERIOD ..I WILL POST MY HP NO.S AFTER THE DYNO JUST TO LET THE CURIOUS PEOPLE KNOW HOW WELL AN H22/23 HYBRID WORKS. I HAVE A PORTED HEAD/INT MANIFOLD WITH UPGRADED VALVETRAIN/STOCK CAMS AND CAM GRS AND A BORED BLOCK 25OVER. WITH TYPE S PISTONS. MICRO POLISHED CRANK AND ALL NEW BEARINGS. SO ITS A NEW MOTOR BASICALLY. HOPE I DYNO AT LEAST 210HP THAT WOULD BE NICE.

:dry: looks like no one is going to be able to see my h23/22 dyno cuz it didnt happen i had the car for a week to break it in and the bearings spun. ya i think my oil pump had gone out cuz i never took the rpms over 4k. really sucks so im putting my stock crank back in. i will post those dynos though next week or so. :cry: :dry:

What about a non vtech h23 head on a jdm h22a motor? I got one sitting here and i need a car. The h22 vtec head has bent valves.

you can do it, but it would be easier just to buy new valves.

about 400 for new springs and valves.

erm ya but i need a car to drive till the machine shop is done with the pnp and 3 angle job on the h22 head, and i still dont even know what valves to get. Some say skunk2's are only for low comp (i plan to to have an effective comp ratio of 15.1 in the future with the right turbo) some say get arias. i still have a lot of learning to do i guess. will the h22a intake manifold work with the h23 head? I need to clean that thing out too damn its dirty. I guess i take all the sensors off to do that huh. Swap the ecu back to the p14, change wiring ect.

Last edited:
The H22/23 setup if done right will give you great benifits especially if you boost the motor I am currently running the same setup in my 92 accord coupe H23 block is fully sleeved running a T3/T4 turbo with a log manifold and I opted to use the H22 crankshaft much stronger than then the h23 when under boost conditions compression is dropped to 8:5 as we know the h23 block makes great torque especially when sleeved I had the H22 head lightly ported and polished also using the skunk2 intake manifold and a swift1 racing intercooler at 15psi on a Dyno Jet dyno car is making 510hp to front wheels Im no engine genius but this was done a year and a half ago and the car still runs lovely with no problems so if your will to invest a little money it can be very good set up and with the blocked being sleeved I am capable of running much higher boost levels but why, besides who needs traction issues

I was thinkin about doing one of these setups but after reading this I really don't think I wanna anymore. I really like the b series but I also wanna try a turbo h22 in a 94 civic coupe. Question though. This h22 I am thinkin about pickin up has an auto tranny, how hard would it be to just swap it with a 5spd. Just take of and put on or what? Never had to do any work with a tranny before. Thanks.

Not able to help you on that one but it can be done, you can run boost on the h22 without sleeving it (not recommended) a stock h22 can run about 320 to the wheels on stock internals dont let the fact that you have an automatic deter you the engine is very solid and 320whp on the street is pretty decent

great trying to get pictures to you guys so you can see the building process in action, I have made a few changes since my last reply. I have now gotten a new manifold which was done by spoolin performance it is there all out racing manifold with equal lenght runners, I have also upgraded the turbo to a garrett t- series turbo, I also have upgraded the cams to type s cams from brian crower as well as springs and valves (dual) also for any accord owner sedan or coupe if you boost your engine and are running over 375 to the wheels your going to have traction issues there is a company in Washington State called ExplicitSpeed.com that will build you a custom traction bar set up, as I said I will work relentlessly to get these pictures uploaded so that you can see, also upgraded the wastegate to 48mm tial of course the h23/22 setup is the way to go I have had no problems what so ever and I mean none the only problem is the gas prices and the C12 race gas the car should be finished in about 2 weeks also got the manifold and intercooling piping jet coated inside and out

i just put in an h23 in an ek this week and will be dropin the h22 head in a month or so.... u gain over the h22.... and its just that much cooler. im ntot shure abut any issues but i would recomend it. when do u plan on doing this swap?

Really old thread dude.............

Back