h22 has no spark how to check?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22sleeper

Hey fellows..I made a trade for a 91accord it has a h22 in it. It ran great the couple of times I ran it however today I tried to start it and it wouldnt start. It was a daily driver prior to me purchasing it. I checked the spark by pulling a plug and found it had none? I have the internal coil and what I would like to know is how to properly check the dist out to determine what I need. I have multi meter. I just don't know what goes to what and what each item is. I'm not to familiar with Honda's, yet so please forgive me. Oh yeah where is this main relay on the accord normally? Thanks for your help fellows its much appreciated.

please tell me you grounded the plug to the valve cover before determining that "You have no spark".

The main relay is under the dash near the steering column. This will cause you not to have fuel...wont effect your spark.

As for determining the problem, you might wanna verify that you are getting power to the coil (yellow wire on the two wire plug thats connected to the dizzy), if so, your coil or igniter need to be replaced. Couldnt tell you how to check which...maybe someone else can.

yea, it most likely is your coil or ignitor. those bitches like to go out a lot on 90-91 or pretty much anything that is internally coiled.

how hard is it to swap to an external coil and from what engines/cars can I grab the upgrade out of? Can anyone tell me? Also how do I determine what year my H22 is?

I've got a crashed 92accord with the f-series motor in it. Can I use the cap and xternal coil/igntr from it in the h22. I'm looking at swapping the internals to get this thing running again. I later plan on going with some upgrades from MSD or someone like that. Thanks again for the help..

yes you can. Just make sure that you use the H22 shaft and housing, and just swap over the electronics. The housings are the same basic shape, except for the shaft and bolt pattern. There are a lot of little screws holding it all together, so be careful

yea, make sure that if you take all the connections off, you make sure you KNOW where they were.

I have a 92civic HB and it was just sitting for parts and it turns out it has the internal coil. I pulled the coil and it was the same part number and I placed in the h22 and she FIRED right up.....Thanks for all the assistance...Oh yeah on the external coil thing how is that hooked up I don't have enough connectors on the H22 to do it so can someone tell what I have to do to wire in teh coil?...

I'm now thinking of putting the H22 in the HB as its much lighter and making it somewhat a drag car?...can I use the accord tranny in the HB or do I have to get it out some other car?

Back