H22 have weak sleeves?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

H22 Crank= Forged
H23 Crank = Not
Both heads flow well stock.
H22/H23 Frankenstien = not plug and play, and not stomp and go
There was a guy on H-T who overbored the FRM to about 3 weeks of success

And Sol is right about the balancing. We easily have the loudest and most "mobile" engines. That is part of the reson Honda went to open deck with the 5th Gen H22. Couldn't really tell you "why" it is balanced so poorly, but urethane mount bushings are a popular Prelude mod.

As for the F22B, yes, it is a real DOHV non-VTEC. H-Motors dosent carry it (Just the Accord SiR F20B VTEC), but if you ask a local shop about them I'm 100% sure they could get you one.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 9 2004, 03:57 PM
are you sure about that?

the frm is PART of the sleeve... its a moly mixture...
[post=374493]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd say I'm 95% sure. I did alot of research on this a long time ago when I had the H22 and was considering building it.

Also, I could be remembering wrong, and the situation could be like this: Forged pistons aren't possible AT ALL (due to the type of coating used), and things like Type S pistons or JDM H22 pistons in a USDM engine can be used only with a standard overbore. Anything above .025", and you need a resleeve. See, it just doesn't make sense that Honda wouldn't allow for one standard overbore, even for people who aren't into modding, but have fuxored their engine somehow. Anyway, it's been so long, I really can't remember.

see, putting in type S pistons nulls out your reasoning-

yes its .5mm over, but at the same time, the type S ALSO has the frm sleeve, and thus, it wouldn't matter.

Actually, my reasoning was that, boring over the standard overbore would require a resleeves for ANY piston, not just forged (although why you'd want to use a non-forged piston in an overbore is beyond me). My reasoning was based on the assumption that the FRM occured under the outer coating on the sleeve, which is what I think is true, but it could be false.

ok so none of this would ahve anything to do with if i just wanted to hone the block and run type s pistons? right? i dont beleive i should have to bore at all if im just gonna run stock type s psitons....hsouldnt i just be able to hone the block and run them?

Originally posted by driver1@Aug 10 2004, 10:41 AM
ok so none of this would ahve anything to do with if i just wanted to hone the block and run type s pistons? right? i dont beleive i should have to bore at all if im just gonna run stock type s psitons....hsouldnt i just be able to hone the block and run them?
[post=374812]Quoted post[/post]​

That's correct.

does the h23 botom end have the same prob's as the h22? i was thinkin of boltin the h22 head on the h23 block after getin it sleeved ... they just bolt up right cuz there in the same series? is the crank and all that stuff in the h23 still outa balance?

Originally posted by [Freemantle
,Aug 9 2004, 09:00 PM]
H22 Crank= Forged
H23 Crank = Not
Both heads flow well stock.
H22/H23 Frankenstien = not plug and play, and not stomp and go
[post=374552]Quoted post[/post]​

Ever quote yourself before?

if you used rings of the same material as the honda factory rings in the h22, could you then use aftermarket pistons? perhaps an idiot statement, but its worth a shot.

It is more about heat than clearance. And heat then becomes an issue of clearance.

Forged pistions have much better heat rejection than your stock slugs. That heat has to go somwhere, like your charge and your sleeves. This is my #1 case for leaving stock internals (though i wussed out). This is the same reason why nobody does ceramic coated pistons anymore (and if you do, then you are introducing loads of hurt to your preignition threshold).

Your FRM sleeves will take the heat plenty well, but expand in the process, giving you those trademark scuffs you can see on many a prelude/s2000 forum (and the seizure of your pistons and rainbow rods).

Your sleeves have to get really hot, or else that energy has to be turned into heat in your compression mixture. This throws your chances of running pump gas out the window.

Back