h22 in 90 accord ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

need2bfaster

this summer i am planning on putting an h22 in my accord i was wandering how reliable it will be or if it will be a money pit like replacing parts all the time ... for now the motor will be stock so... will i run into any big money issues with installing that motor

The only money pit will be buying the motor LOL!

Have you considered Turbo'ing the F22? Im selling a mani, turbo, wastegate, socketted ECU and turbo map. It would cost a LOT less and net WAY better results then just that swap. Just my .02

even if you dont want my shit, a DSM modified setup can be made for 1000-1500 and again, net way better results then a H22 swap.

this summer i am planning on putting an h22 in my accord i was wandering how reliable it will be or if it will be a money pit like replacing parts all the time ... for now the motor will be stock so... will i run into any big money issues with installing that motor

The install will be as reliable as you make it. Do it right, and it should be just as reliable as a stock car. Screw it up, and who knows what will happen...

i have considered turboing my f22 but they make so many more parts for h22's and i am going to buy the h22 swap guide just so i dont screw anything up

They make plenty of parts for the F series. What all do you need? most of the parts are interchangeable as well.....

i have considered turboing my f22 but they make so many more parts for h22's and i am going to buy the h22 swap guide just so i dont screw anything up

Like I said, if the install is done right then it should be every bit as reliable as stock. The H22 into the Accord will bolt-up just like a stock motor, so you won't have to do any cutting or fabricating of the engine bay. It's basically just a few minor wiring changes and you're good to go. I would still encourage you to get the guide though, especially if this is your first time doing a swap...

I wanna know what you're doing, or was done to that engine to make it a "money pit". that is one of the most reliable engines you'll ever come across.

i already replaced the motor in the car it was blown up so i have swapped a motor in and out but have never re did the wiring i am aware of that it is direct bolt up and i was just wandering when i said money pit i mean will the accord parts be safe to use with the h22 like the axels and such or would i have to look into getting better parts i am asking all this is because i am doing the swap this summer and my dad thinks it will be unreliable as my daily driver

Last edited:
im not real up on building my f22 up since the h22 im my opinion will be more fun so im not really looking for any parts but thanks

What is fun to you? Have you seen any vids of boosted F series Accord's? My car with a ghetto setup made 250wtq at 4K rpm, it would rip out of turns. Ran a 14.5 on low boost, H22's arent touching that.....

i saw a few but i have rode in my friends civic with an h22 also the h22 is 200 hp vs f22 with 125/135 id have over a grand in getting the f22 to 200 hp so could put over 1,000 into a motor to get 200 or i could put 1,000 into a motor that already has 200 hp and get 250 to 300 hp

i saw a few but i have rode in my friends civic with an h22 also the h22 is 200 hp vs f22 with 125/135 id have over a grand in getting the f22 to 200 hp so could put over 1,000 into a motor to get 200 or i could put 1,000 into a motor that already has 200 hp and get 250 to 300 hp

h22 into a civic is a completely different monster then putting an h22 into an accord. if you put it into your accord, expect low to mid 15 second time slips.

dont quote me on this, but i would imagine putting the h22 into an accord would net similar results to putting a b16 into a civic.

why would it be low 15's when an accord is max 400 -500 lbs heavier than a civic

Dude i have the f22 motor in an 91 accord right now and my freinds 97 prelude has the h22 motor. My car is the automatic ex andi can still beat the prelude off the line and in top speed. Now he does beat me when he enters 2nd gear but off the line i am quicker also my car has 250k miles. If it was me i would stick with the F22.

Your top speed is higher because the gears in your transmission are longer. It doesn't necessarily mean your car is more performance-oriented than his. As far as the beating him off the line thing goes, maybe he just sucks at driving?

why would it be low 15's when an accord is max 400 -500 lbs heavier than a civic
an accord is about 700 lbs heavier.
civic about 2300lbs
accord about 3000lbs
check out Turbo&Auto's web page (link is in his sig) he's got some videos of his accord.

Dude i have the f22 motor in an 91 accord right now and my freinds 97 prelude has the h22 motor. My car is the automatic ex andi can still beat the prelude off the line and in top speed. Now he does beat me when he enters 2nd gear but off the line i am quicker also my car has 250k miles. If it was me i would stick with the F22.
I call :bs:. I can't see an accord being quicker off the line, it's got les torque and is heavier.

Unless you drop 1K on NOS youre not getting 50-100hp with boltons.....

Think about it like this:

H22 motor swap - ~2K with all the parts. Gets you 200hp, not whp, a bit different

Keep the F22 and turbo it - ~1500. Gets you 200WHP and a LOT more Tq. Tq will move the car off the line faster as well as be a lot more responsive on the street.

I would highly recommend you do your homework before you decide based on what you've posted. H22's are nice but there's nothing wrong with what you have already.

Back