H22 in integra motor work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so i now have an H22A4 with extremely low miles on it and its going back into my integra...
i am looking to make some changes before i drop it in and was looking for knowledgable advice...

as of now i have an STR intake and greddy header

i was wondering if hondata IM gasket is all hype of if its a good purchase?

i also was given a pair of AEM adjustable cam gears...
so i was wondering about doing some cams, and while i;m at it doing the valve train as well...

suggestions?
i have not decided turbo or NA yet, and i;m sure that will make a huge diffrence...

what can an H22 lower end safely spin to?

i think the STR intake is good for high end so i was thinking of upgrading the valve train and spinning to 9K if i could still make power that high...

ideas?

The H22 makes power up to about 8 and then just plain stops.

The most ive heard of anyone getting out of a H22 N/A is 300 hp, but that is peanuts concidering what you can do with a turbo.

yea, i'm not really looking to do an all out NA build...
its not worth it...

but i want to get the most from the parts i already have, ya know?
and i figure i could pick up some gains doing a tune with the STR intake and greddy header, so i wanted to throw some more parts in to get the most from the tune as well...

just looking for ideas really...

The H22 makes power up to about 8 and then just plain stops.
thats just with stock cams right? can i make power higher up with cams?

i believe you can extend the rpm and make power with high cr pistons and some sick cams....in any engine...

SRD had an every day hatch with interior running 10.72
with a JDM h22 + 15psi on STOCK INTERNALS other than Type-S Cams, using V-AFC for tuning.

I'd go for the Type S cams, heard good thing about them.
[ they ran a 12.9 with slicks and Type S cams before turbo ]
They ran the setup for a year with no problems, and then decided to build it for Boost.
They now stripped it out, boosted from 15 to 25 and can't get traction and best time i think is 10.5 now.
They used different fuel management with a step-up boost system.
1st gear=8lbs
2nd gear = 13lbs
etc etc i don't know the exact boost numbers per gear.
h22+turbo = :worthy:
You could easily break 11s with their first setup in your teg.

i still dont see the car making power that high even with a type s cam. Id say you would need something like a crower stage 3 and new springs valves and retainers.

Quoted post[/post]]
i still dont see the car making power that high even with a type s cam. Id say you would need something like a crower stage 3 and new springs valves and retainers.
Maybe true, but ... this is still :worthy: ...
The original goal was to build a 10 second Civic hatchback (EG6) that was still comfortably streetable. Not only did we run a 10.72ET @ 127MPH, we did it with a 1993 JDM H22A with a bone stock longblock and ECU, on 15 pounds of boost with only an Apex-i V-AFC for tuning. The sheer number of dumbfounded, pissed off domestic muscle car owners who fell victim to the Civic was an absolutely beautiful and gratifying site!! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! A full motor build-up, flawless headwork, race fuel system, stand alone engine management, dropping some weight from the chassis, and a more aggressive turbo system with an exceptionally large turbo laid the groundwork for the big picture... taking the car off of the street and making her really fast.
But then..
1993 HONDA CIVIC DX
BEST TIME TO DATE: 10.52 ET @ 137.47 MPH
after doing all that they only got 2/10ths off :cry:

Type S cams are a waste of money, unless you can get them extremely cheaply. Think about it: A Type S H22A makes 220hp, while a base model makes 200hp. We know that a Type S has 0.5 higher compression ratio and a better intake manifold. That leaves MAYBE 10 crank horsepower to the cams. If you're going to spend money on cams (especially for N/A), go with something aftermarket.

not really. Good N/A cams have HIGH over lap, and good Turbo Cams have verrrry little over lap.

Quoted post[/post]]
tee hee...i like being right :)
As rare as that mgiht be right :mrgreen:
Just messing

I spun my stock h22 to 8 grand abuot a hundred times.
But on the 101 time it poped.
I still don't know what happened. I got the head off yesterday and my pistons look fine and my valves are intact. I didn't break my timing belt. So now I'm gonna pull the block and check internals.
The h22 has a shitty rod stroke ratio like1.5 something.
Thats a lot of rod angularity for a motor that your looking to take to high rpm.
If your realy going to build up an h22 look for that low end power. They are great motors for torqe

THats my 2 cents

Back