H22 into a Del Sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

V92C

My son in law is working on a 95 DelSol for me (it's been sitting in a garage for 5+ years, needs fenders, hood, etc) and we came across an H22 from a 99 Prelude. He's done a few swaps (including an H22 into a civic hatch, I'm not sure of the year) but I'm trying to find out if the a/c & power stering from the prelude will fit in the DelSol. (My son in law could probably fabricate any necessary brackets for relocation, if necessary) I like the idea of the extra hp & torque, but I think of the car as a daily driver, and dont want to give up either the a/c or ps...

I've read a lot about the pluses & minuses of this swap, so really all I'm trying to find out is - will it fit?

Thanks in advance,

It will fit, yes, and you can keep the A/C and power steering with some customizing. Be forewarned though, the H22 into a Civic isn't exactly a "drop it in and bolt it up" kind of swap. You'll need to either fabricate custom motor mounts, or buy expensive after-market ones. Also, mounting the H22 transmission into that chassis will require some cutting of the transmission tunnel (and you must use the H22 transmission , your stock D-series tranny will not bolt up to an H22; you can use a B-series tranny as well, but it requires an expensive adapter plate).

One other thing to consider is that if the motor is from a 99 Prelude, you're going to be looking at an OBD conversion. You'll either need to convert the car to run OBD2, or convert the motor to run OBD1. You'll probably need to order a custom conversion wire harness.

If this is a daily driver than you may want to look towards a B16 or B18 swap instead. Easier install, plus you can just purchase an OBD1 motor and tranny to start with.

Back