H22 knock sensor....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
i kno that this is probably an age old topic thats been talked about from the beginning of the entire swap generation but can someone enlighten me on the whole issue of the knock sensor and how it poses a major problem with H22 or any VTEC motors and how do u solve this issue?...i plan i gettin an h22 very shortly but i wanna kno exactly what to get cuz i dont wanna run into any unexpected problems during installation and i think that this might be one so before i get the motor someone please explain to me whats up :poop:

It senses gas ping and retards the timing accordingly to save wear and tear on your engine. If you use premium(Super, high octane) fuel and drive properly, then you shouldn't have a problem with gas knock.

The P13 has a knock board that "listens" for knock and tells the timing what to do. If it doesn't recieve the correct signal, it trips the CEL.

The knock sensor CEL is a bad code for performance. The computer goes closed loop, and retards the shite out of your timing. The engine is sluggish and instantly drops about 25 horses according to my butt dyno. You can "feel" the light come on. It's a huge difference.

If I were you, I'd buy a chipped P28, which has no knock sensor board, and run JDM P13 fuel/timing maps. That way, your paying about the same, not messing with the sensor at all, and have the ability to trade chips for tuning purposes later.

I guess it really depends on the engine you get. My JDM H22 never had a problem with the knock sensor (except when I broke it by dropping the intake mani on it). I wasn't running any engine management, so it was nice to have the knock sensor there in case I got a bad tank of gas, etc.

I liked the idea too, except for all the false CEL's. I can't explain it. You may not have any problems at all. Or, like me, it will be a thorn in your side until you do something about it.

It is your choice.

Back