h22 or b18c5 stroked?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i've been wanting to do an h22 for some time b/c of torque and just instant power. now i know it's a little tough to swap and takes some time but it's worth it imo. on the other hand i was thinking....what kind of hp would a stock b16a head with a itr bottom end make with a jun or toda stroker kit? i say stock b/c i want to know the platform i'm working with. if course i'm going to build it. i believe the kit strokes it to a 2.1L. would it be the same hp? i'm asking b/c the b16, itr setup would be so much easier to swap into my eg hatch.

thanks for any help

dont waste your money on an ITR block if you would just be ripping it apart anyway .... get a GSR block (its the same thing)

personally i dont like either option you have given here ... so ill just leave now :)

its funny-- 2 stock hatches
1 stock h22a4
1 sotck b18c5

swap drivers...

the itr powerd car still rocked the h22 car everytime in the 1/4

if i find the vid again, i'll post it

yeah thats another thing i was wondering wich would be fast stock. i always figured that the h22 would be faster b/c of torque and has power through out the rpms.

i said itr b/c i was told that it was a stronger block wich i dind't think it was any different then the gsr so i'll stick with the gsr and save some cash lol. so yeah i still want to know what the power would be with the b16,b18c setup. thanks if anyone can help

forgot to say.... the reason i'm wanting to do the b16,gsr setup if i dont do the h22 is b/c i know a guy who has a b16 head with toda b spec cams and valvetrain, port and polish with a stock itr bottom end not stroked (stock) and he's running conssitant 12's. 12.6s. so i figured if it were stroked it would be better

how much money are you willing to dump into this project? be aware that when you start stroking and doing custom internals things only become as reliable as you build them and that costs alot of $$$$$. i say get the gsr swap, you dont' need the b16 head, use the b18c head and put a skunk2 intake manifold on it. the gsr head will give you about .2 more compression ratio and it is just as good as the b16 head.

Yo dood,
Both are great choices. As I have said before in my other posts, if you wanna go fast now, go H22 all the way, wanna go fast later, go B18C5. Both are insanely fast. I have destroyed mildly modified Type R/EG hatch hybrids with my H22 powered 5G on numerous occasions. But then again, I have also been smoked by one before as well. Just one piece of advice....if your going to go H22 like me, save up some extra cash to deal with the weight handicapp on the nose.
My opinion, go with the H22, before you install it get some prelude type S pistons and cams (all OEM parts), port and polish the head pretty agressively, if you can throw in a block gaurd to re-enforce the H22's thin cylinder walls then do it as well.... make it breathe better (intake, exhaust), hit it with a 40hp shot of laughing gas and smoke down the quarter in just over 11. The money you would be saving from buying the H22 over the itr, makes it worth it alone. And no, the swap really isnt that hard. You can still fit the power steering and A/C in there, but if you take out the A/C, it saves on alot of weight. Good Luck either way! Peace!

ITR is a all-motor setup and should be kept that way with all-motor mods, h22 is a boost or nitrous loving beast. biuld it and boost it or throw lots of nirous at it and you have a bad bitch. i guess im partial to the h22 cuz i have one.... :p

yeah i agree with both of you. i really like the h22 b/c i know someone who has one and that thing is fast! lol uh well i was going to go after market on the build up. teh type s is only 20hp more. i want to keep it all motor though. i'm not really one for boost or spray. also i plan on putting a/c in my car b/c i live in FL, it gets kinda hot lol. i'll deff get a block guard also.

i still need that info on the b16.gsr setup!! oh and i was sanyi gb16 head b/c you can get one for like 300-3500$ so i could put the whole setup together for less than the gsr would be.

oh yeah the suspension will be done as well to handle the weight. i never forget about handling!

i just want to know what power a stock b16 head and a stock c5 bottom end will make.

then i want to know what a stock b16 head and a c1 bottom end will make witha stroker kit (jun looks good) i want to know this b/c i might do this if it's equalivant to the h22 stock b/c it's a better fit.

thanks

well, with the stroker kit, it would vary.
a b16 head and a c5 bottom would be an ITR, minus the valves, springs, retainers, and cams and the slight port on the intake side of the head. the ITR head is a b16 cast.

yup the pr3. it would be the same as the itr minus the internals but i was just wondering what it would make with teh stock b16 head to see what platform i would be building from.

Hey, I just read part of this thread, and the guy said he wanted to talk to someone with a B16 head on a GSR Block, well I'm your man. Feel free to ask any questions, as I have some experience with it. My opinion is that the GSR intake manifold sucks, I can't stand the duel butterflies, and long runners. Just my opinion, though, and there are a lot of people out there who would say it didn't matter. Anyways, ask away.

Ian

finally someone to help! lol well yeah see i wanted to know what kind of power it made with the stock b16 head and stock c5 bottom. then what it made with the stock b16 head with a stroked bottom with a jun stroker kit wich is 1.8L. i want an h22 but if it's almost equalivilent in hp then i would get the make shift itr setup b/c it's a better fit in the eg hb.

i know the hp wont be close without the stroker kit but i wnated to know that also.

thanks

Originally posted by littlehatch@Dec 25 2003, 12:22 AM
finally someone to help! lol well yeah see i wanted to know what kind of power it made with the stock b16 head and stock c5 bottom. then what it made with the stock b16 head with a stroked bottom with a jun stroker kit wich is 1.8L. i want an h22 but if it's almost equalivilent in hp then i would get the make shift itr setup b/c it's a better fit in the eg hb.

i know the hp wont be close without the stroker kit but i wnated to know that also.

thanks

I guess it's because I came into this a little late, but you want a B16 head on a Spec-R block? Well, I can tell you now that won't make the power to compare with the H22, but it will make decent power, probable 160-165 to the wheels. On the other hand, if you plan on tearing the entire thing apart, and doing a stroker kit, the money would probably would be better spend going H22 turbo, then nothing could beat you. (well almost...) The weight distribution issues with the H22 aren't that big of a deal when you go with a nice suspension setup, and you can get the entire swap, the right axles and mounts for 2850 from hmotors. If I understand your situation correctly (which I probably don't, but oh well) you should go the H22 Turbo route, but that's just my .02...

Oh with the stroker kit on a b16, it basically makes it the same as a B18, you're better off to go with a B18C crank, rods and pistions in my opinion.
Ian

a stroked b16 is NOT a gsr.

the b16 block is physically shorter than a b18cs, and will NEVER share the same geometry

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 25 2003, 06:52 PM
a stroked b16 is NOT a gsr.

the b16 block is physically shorter than a b18cs, and will NEVER share the same geometry

sorry, my bad.

I know it is not a GSR, but doesn't it have the same properties though? 82mm bore, 87.2 stroke? At least with toda's kit it is. Also, won't it make around the same power, if the new compression is the same as the GSR?

Back