H22 or boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BadLude

I have a 94 Prelude with a dinky SOHC 2.2L. I have the car built exatly how I want it looks/handling wise. Alot of money and time went into it. Now it is time to do the motor and I am low on funds. ( i know I should have done it first) I allready have a Garret t3 turbo w/ intercooler, turbo timer, blowoff valve. Anyways, here is my options. SHould I install the turbo on this F22. Or should I sell the turbo and drop in an h22 but be forced to leave it bone stock. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have the time, email your responce to me at thejake@mikrotec.com. I will get it alot quicker. Take a look at the car @ jdmluder.onlineshowoff.com .. maybe it will sway your decision.

i would go h22, then boost later on...
a turbo for the f22 would prob cost you well over a thousand... even for a DIY custom setup...
and you can use your stock mounts and stock trans for the h22...
so just get the h22 motor and work your way up...

just my advice...

and your f22 pushes about 140 hp right maybe 160...
so even a 50% increase in horse power through a turbo, which would def be pushing it, would still give you just over the HP you have with the stock h22...

h22 would be more reliable...
i have two friends with h22's in accords and one friend with an h22 prelude and i think you will be very happy with the h22... and then work on your boost goals down the road...

best of luck...

EDIT: just saw that you already have some turbo parts...
add up how much it would cost to complete your turbo setup, versus an h22 and p13 ecu...
and figure out which will cost more for a $$:HP ratio...
and then figure out the ratios with the money you've already dumped on turbo parts..

so stock h22 and p13 would be roughly 1300 to 1500, estimates only...
and assuming you have a 140 horse f22 you're looking at 25 dollars per HP increase for a stock H22 with stock reliability and a whole world of potential...

so then lets say you have to spend another 1000 to complete your turbo setup...

if you got a hot looking car then you wanna get a decent manifold and make everything under the hood look pretty so i'd say another 1000 is a safe estimate...
so lets say you can get a 30% increase over your stock 140...
30% increase = 42 horses = 23.8 per horse
40% increase = 56 horses = 17.8 per horse...
50% increase = 70 horses = 14.28 per horse...

so the higher the increase the lower the cost per horse gets... but then you get into needing more fuel managment and pushing you stock motor and stock internals even harder...

so i still vote for the reliable h22...
you go turbo on the f22 and your motor will already be maxed out, where as the h22 can be built even more later on down the road...

please note that these are all estimates...
if your car has more than 140 stock let me know and i will re-run the figures...
and please don;t flame away if you think my figures or estimates are way off base... just throw a post on here to correct any misinformation i may have provided...
hope this helps...

and those HP to ratio numbers do NOT include what you have already spent on turbo parts...
throw me a figure and i'll calculate your actual costs...

sell the turbo pats and buy an h22 btu when u do be sure toget a motor trans combo.....this way u wont be stcuk with the poorly geared and weak f22 trans, oh and u will NOT be dissapointed

run the turbo at 15-20 PSI and drive it a few times till the motor blows :D ..then sell the turbo and buy and h22 and boost it later on...

just so u cam say ur runnin 20 lbs of boost

You can go turbo with the f22 but eventually youll want more power, thats where u wished u would of gone h22 then turbo.

As soon as my car is done ill tell you how 15-20psi of boost feels like :)

Thanks for the help ..
After thinking it over, it would be stupid to boost this f22. I know 2 months down the road I will want more power.
So I am now in the market for a JDM h22 type S if anyone knows where A good deal is. Perhaps a normal h22 if the price is excellent.
Oh yeah, If anyone is interested in a turbo/intercooler/blowoff/timer/piping .. shoot me a holler and make me and offer. I will cut you a killer deal. After all, a t3 doesn't add any extra horsepower to my garage. Hit me up on email if you need a quicker response. thejake@mikrotec.com

-Oh, and thanks again for the help

This is the email i got from flash options.

1994 ones - for the h22a..

1998 for type-s

H22A - USd1800
Type-S - USD3500
Both are front clips

BTW what blow off do you have?

Type S is a great motor, but overpriced IMO. A good chunk of the extra power comes from cams, ECU, and compression. Still, it's only 20 horsepower, and the higher compression won't help you much if you decide to boost.

A normal JDM H22A has a lot of potential. Dollar for dollar, I think it is a much better deal than the type S. Save the 1500 extra dollars and put it towards the boosting, or better cams. You could easily pick up another 20 horsepower with cams, cam gears, hondata, tuning, boosting, etc. The extra money would buy a few things at least.

Keep your F22A tranny if you decide to boost. The longer gearing will benefit you more in that regard.

Have fun goddamnit.

Back