h22 or gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Vtec Andy.....

i have 92 hatch and im buying a new motor etc. from www.hmotorsonline.com and i would like to know which is better and easier to swap for maxium speed and acc. if you can give me some info that would be great....

Thanks,Andrew

hatch as in Civic? Go with the B series (GSR)... it's much more simple over the H22... less expensive and doesnt make the car useless for street applications (what I have heard)... the added weight of the H series doesnt do it justice... do GSR yO'

gsr my ass! H22 all the way. everybody says all this shit on what they have "heard"....actually knowing is different.
1,900 bux for a 200hp motor
2,900bux for a 180hp motor
you do the math.
i got one i love it. You'll be waxin gsr hatches!
if you do buy the h22 make sure you buy the mount kit from hmotorsonline.com also, he'ss give you a better deal on the HASport kit than HASposrt gives on their own mounts. get the half shaft from him too.

lol... see waht i mean i got few say one thing and few say other... all i know is that the h22 has 200 and 161tq and gsr got 180 and130tq

Originally posted by Vtec Andy.....@Oct 8 2003, 09:01 PM
all i know is that the h22 has 200 and 161tq and gsr got 180 and130tq

if thats all you know, you need to do a butt load of more reading before even dreaming about doing an h22 swap. it's not easy. it requires cutting your firewall, and all kinds of other gay shit.

if you ask me, h22s are for ludes/accords.

other than steph papadakis's old car, nearly every honda in the 8s and 9s on the pro circuit is powered by gsr's. doesn't that say something?

You've gotta decide what you want out of the car. If you want a drag setup with minimal cost, then an H22 is the way to go. If you want to take on the autocross track and still have decent drag times, go with a B18C1.

The reason the high-powered drag setups all run B-series is that they get bored and stroked to huge numbers anyway. They just happen to fit better in a Civic. If he doesn't have the thousands extra to bore and stroke and build the engine right, and still wants some killer drag numbers, the H22 is the way to go.

honestly, thats not true.

ed Burgenholtz its standard bore 81mm and standard stroke.
as is mike laskey making 650 whp
and i could go on and on...

in street cars, mike from motormatrix made 586whp on a std overbore (81.5mm) ITR motor at 10:1 compression.

Alright, point taken.

But these guys have thousands upon thousands of dollars to build and tune their engines. You can spend $3000 or $3500 on a B18C1 (call it $4000 swapped). If you take that same $4000, you can have a swapped H22 with a little extra left over. You're already starting with gobs more torque and a good amount of extra horsepower.

Just saying that, if you don't have wads of cash to throw at a drag car, an H22 is going to pwn a B18 at the strip.

average cost of getting an h22 in a civic is 4500 bucks according to a recent thread on H-T. so out of the box, its more money than a GSR.

at the same point, i've seen itr-swapped hatches stock own h22 swapped hatches stock.

even though it makes more peak power, the extra weight it has to pull kinda even's things out.

and then, you still have the gay shifter, a cut firewall, a pain in the ass of a swap, and banking turns sucks :/

Wel... Thanks Guys For your Help I Race My Car On 1/4 Mile Only.... Mostly On The Street Races And Most Kids Got Type r And H22 So I Wanted One 2... Few People Say Its Good And Some Say It Sucks... I Just Guess I'll See Which I Will Pick There Both Great Motors So either Way I'll Be Happy..........AnyMore Info Write on Here I"ll Come Look Later........

THanks Alot,Andrew

Don't pick an engine just because "other people have them too". Choose your engine based on what you want out of your car and the research you do on different types of engines.

Originally posted by Vtec Andy.....@Oct 9 2003, 12:06 PM
Wel... Thanks Guys For your Help I Race My Car On 1/4 Mile Only.... Mostly On The Street Races And Most Kids Got Type r And H22 So I Wanted One 2... Few People Say Its Good And Some Say It Sucks... I Just Guess I'll See Which I Will Pick There Both Great Motors So either Way I'll Be Happy..........AnyMore Info Write on Here I"ll Come Look Later........

THanks Alot,Andrew

:wtf: Whats with the first letter in every word capitalization??!!

H22: -transmission blows
- fewer mods that make as much power as comperable B series mods
- more of a bitch to install (have to use motor mount kit, unlike B series)
-custom axles if you want to use any decent power on the strip (a friend paid 1500 for his)
-and (drumroll please) the rings give up the ghost at around 80/90k *seen as low as 45k* and start drinking oil fast. This is not a Heard, but a Seen. (5 in a row now)

This is coming from someone looking to do an H22 swap himself soon, but I can rebuild them and put them in myself. I have more time than $ right now, so this is a good option for me. Soooo, if your a good tech do it, if not don't break the bank because the repairs will outway the money saved. If you tear up a GSR you can always get one of the millions of LS blocks to throw under it for cheap.

Originally posted by DropSquadCivic@Oct 9 2003, 01:49 AM
gsr my ass! H22 all the way. everybody says all this shit on what they have "heard"....actually knowing is different.
1,900 bux for a 200hp motor
2,900bux for a 180hp motor
you do the math.
i got one i love it. You'll be waxin gsr hatches!
if you do buy the h22 make sure you buy the mount kit from hmotorsonline.com also, he'ss give you a better deal on the HASport kit than HASposrt gives on their own mounts. get the half shaft from him too.

$1950 for the motor/tranny/ECU
$2199 for the complete swap (not including the HAsport mounts, or correct axles)

Then it isn't going to teleport there gotta add shipping (to both motors).

Now lets add the $490 he charges for the HAsports and the $200, hmmm..$2889, also you might want to think about that small things like gaskets, custom cutting and welding for the exhaust, and the cutting for the shiftlinkage, and what if the axle combo he sends is wrong, or has a blown joint? Also what radiator are you running, are you going to trim the fan shroud or just buy a slimfam? There's a lot more to a H22 swap than just dropping it in. Also handling and braking NEED to be addressed, as it weights about 165lbs more than your D series and sits at a different angle than the B or D series motors.
So yes, for about the same price you can have a H22 delivered to your house, but it is going to cost more to get it in a running, and the Hp difference isn't that big compared to the ease of a B series into a civic.

So you have $3100+ shipping+ added expenses for a bolt in swap with good hp torque numbers, or $2889+ shipping+added expense's for a not bolt in swap with a little better numbers.

IMO, the $211 is well spent on an easier install.

what reason do you have to beleive that an n22 tranny blows?

yea now thinking about it i'll just to a 95 gsr swap so its obd1 alot easier then obd2 few my friends said in the long run gsr will be worth it.. and if i stroke it it will be just as fast as a 2.2...... also the g sr mounts will fit in with no problems? and the vtec wiring hows that done? you have something to help me ..

Back