h22 sputtering on vtec engagement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DVJr84

H22A4drCivic
Has anybody had this problem. My car sputters when my vtec cracks. I have my vtec set to 4800 and it stuppers until 5000 and then i gain some power. Could it be my tune?

take the vtec controller off they only mess shit up, lowering the vtec engagement will mess up the lost motion assembly

take the vtec controller off they only mess shit up, lowering the vtec engagement will mess up the lost motion assembly

Please elaborate on how it will damage the lost motion assembly.

If anything, increasing the vtec engagement would damage the lma's, simply because the vtec arm is not engaged and being bounced faster than Honda intended.

Lowering the vtec engagement can be necessary, but normally only for cams that modify the powerband. Lowering it for no reason will make you lose power.

Teh p0w3r 0f VT@k y0. Not at all.

duh, I feel stupid now. but lowering the engagement point will result in low fuel economy and it will reduce the toruqe curve, because your changing the air fuel ratio, hence your lossing gas and power by using one unless you motor is build and tuned using the vtec controller

:)

yup. adjust it via a dyno, not your butt dyno.

Yeah without a dyno there is no reason to mess with the changeover point. This is the procedure you would use at the dyno when you can overlay pulls that you have made. Set the vtec change over point at a fairly low rpm level and make a pull. Then make a pull with the vtec point set high. Overlay the 2 runs to see where the torque lines intersect. This is the optimal vtec changeover point.

If you are having problems and your motor is basically stock just pull up a h22 basemap. Then check and make sure everything is good like your timing before deciding it is a problem in your tuning.

A tune is not provided in a downloadable rom man. You need to take it to a shop that has a wideband o2 sensor, and adjust things like timing and air/fuel ratio to actually get a proper tune.

Since your pretty much stock, unless you feel it's fit to spend 300~600 for a tune, I would use the stock rom for your motor. The first link would be for a stock USDM engine, and the second link would be for a stock JDM engine.

Youre right about not trying to spend 300-600 on tuning right now.. I have a jdm so with the second link should i leave the vtec at 4800 with the air/fuel curves? I heard some ppl talking about not lowering it to much. i heard not to lower it less than like 5200. Then again I've heard it should be set with the high and low cam. So I guess my question is where would you set vtec to its currently set to 4800 in the second link???

Last edited:
I would leave it alone then. Don't adjust it period unless your on a dyno. Some people can talk all they want, but you've got to think of a tune in music terms. It's only for your instrument, due to slight variances and such.

So go with stock settings.

Back