h22 stuff

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nismogod

firstly, i'm curious as to anyones impressions on phantom grip. thanks in advance

secondly, how high can a factory h22 rev? the bottom end is what i'm concerned about mainly. i can get the valvetrain to rev to 10k with the aftermarket parts, but what does the factory bottom end hold up to?

i'll probably just end up gettin the rods and bolts anyway, i'm just curious tho.

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 7 2004, 11:41 PM
firstly, i'm curious as to anyones impressions on phantom grip. thanks in advance

[post=428174]Quoted post[/post]​

I sure hope that you aren't serious about this question... lol.

well, i haven't heard much about them. i know there is a phantom grip setup in a pretty fast car that runs the NOPI circuit. and i was just curious as to if there were any alternatives to Quaife. which is expensive as all hell. and honestly id like to hear peoples experiences on them, not their "experienceless opinions"

Do a search this was beaten to death this week....but here is the cliffsnotes: Phantomslip is a piece of garbage not worth its weight in scrap steel.

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 8 2004, 06:57 PM
any personal experience? lol
[post=428859]Quoted post[/post]​

No way! Why would I subject any of my cars to that piece of crap? lol. No, only a real LSD for me. But you can go try it out first. :p Anyway, at the time of my first reply, this post was right underneath it.

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 8 2004, 06:57 PM
any personal experience? lol
[post=428859]Quoted post[/post]​

Not personally owning one, I would not be stupid enough to buy one. I have seen the aftermath of what it does to a differential, and installed an LSD to replace the piece of shit. Ask all you want, but anyone with personal experience with them is usually too emberased to come forward and claim they owned one of these useless pieces of shit. Stop for a second and think about how it works, and if it does not seem like a bad idea to you, well then you deserve one.

And why do you want to rev to 10k? :blink:

is OBX an acceptable alternative?

why rev to 10k? i wont need to, just a safety factor. besides, i'm sure my crower cams make power above stock rev limit, and i'd liek to take advantage of it.

the 10k number was merely the number set by the manufactuer.

i apologize for the post on PG, i just figured i'd incorporate it in the more significant point i was seeking.

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 9 2004, 12:01 AM
is OBX an acceptable alternative?

why rev to 10k? i wont need to, just a safety factor. besides, i'm sure my crower cams make power above stock rev limit, and i'd liek to take advantage of it.

the 10k number was merely the number set by the manufactuer.
[post=429077]Quoted post[/post]​

To the first question, I would say maybe. OBX is to Quaiffe what an aftermarket part is to OEM. My feeling is that you get what you pay for and if it sounds too good, then it's not. I've heard that they may be noisy due to the sharp edges but over time it gets better. I heard that someone on H-T uses an OBX for drag racing and hasn't blown it up yet. What type of hard driving are you planning to do? And do a google search and you are bound to come up with articles on other boards with other people's firsthand experiences. From reading the threads on this board, it seems that our membership doesn't mess around much with cheaper solutions. So find people that were brave enough to try it and have put it to the test. When it comes to my cars, I'm kind of a chicken with experimentation. lol. And lastly, if you are going to open your tranny, might as well put in something decent.... unless you like tinkering a lot and this is not your daily driver to go to work in. I think that what most of the knowledgeable people on this board recommend is Quaiffe with their lifetime guarantee.

As to the second question, perhaps a shiftlight install is in order.... or have someone like nfn rechip your ECU and turn your check engine light into a shiftlight at whatever rpm you want. Just a thought. I'm going to have Matt do that to my Si as I switch often between her and my sedan and they both have different redlines. I also like that last solution as it costs nothing in parts (for me) and it's such a stealth mod.

i dont know if the stock blocks can do this but JUN's prelude revs to around 8000rpm....and makes ~260hp.

i rev my jdm h22 to 7500 all day long with complete stock internals....i think tab has said hes takin his upwards of 8000 without any issues and also on stock internals

o, i'm puttin in aftermarket rods and rod bolts eventually. i also figured my cams would make power at high RPM . crower stage 2's.

i guess i'll just wait and buy a quaife. loll.

rods and valvetrain is next then. lol

Back