H22 Swap Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DjMcPhatty

I have some h22 questions....ive searched the forums and from what I've read this is what I've gathered: The h22 is a great daily driver/na drag motor, handleing isn't great (cant autocross) but its not so horrible that you cant turn.... There are some hidden costs but overall its not to bad. Now my questions... How much did you pay to have it done (h22 swap with axles and mounts installed...i would install it but im not much of a mechanic at all) second what type of suspension set up do you have?? My budget is fairly small. I could max pay $3500 for the swap...and as far as the suspension goes I plan on something under $400-500 total (what would be a good combination, i know you need stiffer springs to handle the weight but what type of springs should I go with), other than that is there anything else I should know????? I like the idea of a decent daily driver with a nice amount of power NA. I would someday like to autocross, but right now thats not available to me and I enjoy drag racing....I cant wait to see their faces when the slowest guy in the group pulls up and whoops their asses, (completely sleeper car, the only thing i have is an exhaust and 16" slipstreams). Thanks for all information.
oh btw my car is a 1992 civic vx hatch

Originally posted by DjMcPhatty@May 25 2003, 09:14 PM
My budget is fairly small. I could max pay $3500 for the swap...

average cost of doing an h22 swap, personally done = $4300

hidden costs are are bitch.

if you have 3500, get an sir2 + install

thanks, after calling a shop today (lightspeed performance in st. louis) and they wanted 5 grand. So there went that idea. Back to my original, B16, drive it for probably a year or two and then when i get the rest of the money, build it and turbo it....thanks b

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+May 26 2003, 03:00 AM-->
DjMcPhatty
@May 25 2003, 09:14 PM
My budget is fairly small. I could max pay $3500 for the swap...

average cost of doing an h22 swap, personally done = $4300

hidden costs are are bitch.

if you have 3500, get an sir2 + install

How does it add up to that much? As soon as my 300zx sells I am ordering my h22a front clip, lsd tranny, hasport mounts, Integra Axles, and Accord Intermediate shafts all for $3200. Granted I am not paying a shop to do it so i save a lot there, but with another $1100 left before i hit $4300 I dont see how it adds up that much. If someone could let me know if there is any huge expense i am overlooking before i embark on this swap let me know.

-00Evan

4500 guy at schools hatch and the handling sux ass but it sure as hell was fun to drive straight!!!!

handling is not a bitch, its fwd ne wayz, how is it gonna be effected, its like only 80lbs more,, that is like the same ass how a b series is to the d series engine, it just that u need axles because of the different geometry of how the engine sit, trust me when u have it dont, you would be satisfy, i have it in my 97 hatch, it kicks ass, plus my friend has it in his coupe too..soon to be turbo that is.but u would kick ass.try to save up a lil more money so u can get it done, dont get no sir or b16 or watever, so are slow. since it seems that u want speed, you should just save a lil and wait rather than be unsatisfy at the end

First of all 4300 for the total swap is just about right. That's about what I'm spending and I'm putting it in myself... no labor costs at all!!! I got JDM H22A complete swap(motor, tranny, linkage, shifter, p13 ecu, harness, axles, hasport mounts etc.) from hmotorsonline.com(Steve there is awesome!). The complete swap with the correct axles for my 95 Civic Coupe with shipping was 3014. The rest of the stuff I'm getting should actually put me over 4300 but that's only because I'm converting from auto to manual and splurging on a good clutch kit (ACT Xtreme pressure plate w/ street disc $350, Del Sol Vtech Radiator $100, FAL Thin Radiator Fan $150, Pedal box assembly w/ clutch master cylinder & boot & center console $150, 2 Tokico HP shocks $150, springs $200, HCP EG A/C adapter plate $125) there's a few other tid bits not mentioned like radiator hoses, belts, water pump, etc. which also add to the cost. Alot of the stuff I got was at cost too so I did not have to pay retail so that saved me quite a bit.

It's definitely worth it though. Don't listen to anyone who says it will be a sled or that it doesn't handle, that's just ignorance rearing it's ugly little jealous b16 head. Invest in good suspension (use integra springs in the front since they are designed for a heavier car) and invest in good stopping power(disc brakes in the rear from a GSR should do fine) The hasport sight actually has a lot of really good info on this swap. There's also a link to some guys web site in here where he documents the whole install in a civic hatch, if I can find it again I'll post it.:worthy:

I will be documenting the whole install so keep your eyes peeled.

Oh yeah, there's the conversion wire harness from hasport that's another 299 out of your pocket. Hasport requires two cores though, the harness from the h22 and the harness from the civic. You send it to them, they do their magic and send it back. Holeshot racing has one that you supposedly dont need to send a core for and those are 275. I chose the option with hasport and sending them my cores only because it is a jdm mator harness and ecu and I wanted to make it as plug and play as possible. :blink:

Back