***H22 SWAPS...GENERAL QUESTIONS***

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
ok....this topic is for all you HONDA guru's and tech gods...this forum should answer almost all of my question as well as anyones elses questions about h22 swaps in to an accord or any other h22 swap...after 4 months of procrastinating...i finally got myself an h22. now that i have it i wanna know where i should go form here and some other question that pertain to the motor itself....first off.. i have a 92 accord with the stock F22 motor which is ovibously comming out to put the h22 in but all i have is the motor as of now..( no tranny,ecu) my questions about that are :

1) will my stock 5 speed f22 tranny fit on the H22

2) if so are there any mods required for fittiment ??

3) am i able to use my same wire harness off of my accord for the H22? i heard something about adding 5 wires for the VTEC to work?? is this true

4) i also heard theres some kinda trick that i can use my stock f22 ECU and buy an APEXi V-afc and use that as my vtec engagement??

5) if i were to purchase an ECU for the motor...what would be the best to get? a p13, p28, or a p72??

6) the motor have is an OBD1 93-96 h22...does it have a knock out sensor and if it does what ecu makes provisions for the knock sensor. the last thing i want is to run into a problem with the KS??

7) what is an IAB and what does it have to do with your ECU??

8) can i still use my stock axels, motor mounts, and shift linkage??

9) even tho the steering column on the jdm motors is on the right hand side..does this pose a problem during installation??

:D

Last edited:
1 yes
2 no
3 It is in fact easier to use the stock harness. yes, but not all of those wires are just for VTEC
4 Just buy the right ECU, even though that might work, it's not worth the hassle. Either buy a chipped P28 or chipped P72, or buy a plain JDM P13
5 JDM P13 stock for stock. Modified P28 for tuning and losing the knock sensor. Modified P72 for tuning and keeping the knock sensor.
6 Knock sensor, see #5. I'd go with a chipped P28 if you keep the car running right and use good gas, but that is only a preference due to my own troubles with that particular sensor.
7 Intake Air Bypass. Changes the path of air through your intake to influence runner length, changing power characteristics. Gives more torque down low, and better top end also. The ECU triggers a solenoid that uses vacuum to open a butterfly.
8 yes
9 Not that I've heard of, but I honestly don't know.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Sep 22 2004, 10:21 AM-->
@Sep 21 2004, 08:47 PM
9  Not that I've heard of, but I honestly don't know.
[post=393279]Quoted post[/post]​

This is definitely a "no".
[post=393426]Quoted post[/post]​

I misread/misunderstood the question. The answer as he said is definitely no. The wiring harness on the JDM motor comes in on the wrong side, but since you are re-using your stock left-handed harness, that doesn't matter. The JDM fuel rail has the fuel coming in on the other side also. Just lengthen the fuel line.

is this swap a relatively easy swap to do??...is it something that possibly me and a couple friends can do wit the right tools and an engine hoist or is it more invloved?? :poop: :poop:

Originally posted by TeamUrbanChaos@Sep 25 2004, 07:39 PM
is this swap a relatively easy swap to do??...is it something that possibly me and a couple friends can do wit the right tools and an engine hoist or is it more invloved?? :poop: :poop:
[post=394688]Quoted post[/post]​

I did mine with no prior honda experience and the right tools.

You can do it. The help in this forum is much better that it used to be. There are many more of us now. dohcvtec_accord used to do his best, but he was overwhelmed by all of the questions. We are a much larger stronger group now.

Good luck

tab is the man these days when it comes to Accord/H22 questions. I've moved on from the Honda world, and my knowledge isn't what it used to be. :)

ok i took of the valve cover to inspect the internals and when i took it off there were wads and chunks of oil caked up under in the head?? is this normal?? i mean i know the motor was probably sitting for a little but does this come from that or is it something else??? also the oil that was in there was really black ...kinda like it hadent been changed but once again that could have been from sitting??

also now that i have this motor what should i do to prep for the swap...i kno the timing belt, water pump, distributor, plugs, and O2 sensor need to be changed but is therer anythign else that i might need to change??
:poop:

A little bit of crud under the valver cover is normal, but all of your valves and cam area should be oily but not cruddy.

Black oil is fine. Change it.

I wouldn't change the distributor or the O2 sensor unless you have a problem with them. Timing belt, definitely. Water pump, maybe. I know of hondas with 3-400k and no water pump problem. Your call. Plugs, plug wires, rotor, and cap, I'd replace with new OEM parts.

Check your vacuum lines for dryness or cracking, and I'd use new accessory belts.

The fuel filter on the firewall isn't a bad idea to change, and it's much easier to do with the engine pulled. Plus, you have to extend the fuel line anyway, so you could pull that line off the filter and lengthen it comfortably.

since your able to use an accord tranny on an H22...are the flywheel and clutch intercahngable as well?? the motor i got didnt come wth a flywheel but the bolt pattern of the f22 flywheel and the pattern on the block of the H22 look the same so it should bolt right up right???? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Yep, they're the same. I once placed an order on a website for a clutch/flywheel combo for my H22, and when they sent me an email invoice, it said "94-97 Accord Clutch/Flywheel".

OK and as far as my motor mounts are concerned.... all my 92 accord motor mounts will work and fit on the JDM H22 right?? i head somethin from one of my friends that i might have to get a undercarriage mount from a prelude becasue the accord one isnt big enoughf. dont know how true that is but someone please let me know. :blink: :blink:

for mine i had to buy a prelude driver side mount and shave it to get it to fit but i have a 94 so i cant say 100% what u need to do mounts wise for yours....tab should ber able to tell you he has an h22 is the same gen accord as u have

Your mounts will work fine, no modifications whatsoever.........

The H22 mounts right in like it was meant to be there.

aight cool.....and what about the power steering pump...the motor i got didnt come with one and the accord power steering pump looks a little to big to lit on the H22 and the metal bracket that holds the Power steering pump in place looks ALOT different from the one on my F22 now so will i have to go out and by another PSP for a prelude??? :poop:

Some of the other guys have mentioned using the stock accord pump by using the bracket that attaches to the engine. I haven't tried it. I heard that two out of three bolts holes are present, and that should be enough to hold the pump in my opinion.

If you could find a Prelude(h22 or H23) pump for cheap, then I'd do it. If you could get the hose also, that would be even better.

ok i just realized that the h22 has an internal coil and my accord has an external coil...how the hell do i convert that?? ...do i remove the internal coil and just run it with the external coil already there? :blink:

Back