H22 Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I am thinking very strongly of boosting my H22A. I want to increase my torque more than just my topend.

My buddy has an old MX-6 turbo that I could pick up for a song. Does anyone know any details about the size/trim on that turbo? I did a bunch of searching last night and all I come up with are performance numbers on the engine.

I'd make my own manifold, brace it, etc. I am just curious about the turbo and the intercooler for a mild turbo application. I want more power in the 2-5k range, on a budget. I'll also listen to other suggestions for turbo sizes, etc.

I'm not afraid to read articles if someone wants to link me any pertinent info.

Thanks guys. :)

check the junkyard turbo list in the refrence section for info on the turbo

and i think the mx6 was either a 2.0 or 2.2 liter right?
in which case that turbo should work well on a H22

MAZDA 626, MX6 88-92 2.2L IHI RHB52W

from the articles - read only section on here...
stock car turbo list or something like that in the turbo information section

2.2 liter mazda to 2.2 liter honda
seems like a match made in heaven :)

check for specs on a IHI RHB5W
no idea what that means besides its an IHI turbo

I searched for specs on that turbo.... couldn't find anything after a quick search. I would check the redline on the Mazda engine and what the stock boost with that turbo was- that way you can at least get some idea of how well it can match up to your H22's rev range without seeing a compressor map.

i had an mx6 turbo revs up to 6k , stock boost i think is 6psi there was some one on here with one for sale not to long ago

i had a probe gt for the same year, same motor, and i think same turbo
i think it pushed 8psi, but could push up to 12 with wastegate tweeking, but thats not a good idea on stock fuel systems :/

hondas have a very high VE (near 95-98% up top)
an oem turbo motor, will not have these kind of numbers... 75-85 most likely.

IMO, its too small.

yea the turbo is to small for an h22, h22 was built for a slighter larger rev and has a larger stroke than the mx6 would recommed a t4! heh go large

bigger housing t3 will work perfectly fine. t4 is for major power i'm shooting for over 500whp on my h22 and sticking with an .82ar t3 housing, i've seen ,63 ar housing do fine around the 350ishwhp range

The H22 has great power up top. I am not expecting a HP monster on a budget. I was kinda hoping to change the powerband, even if that means no big gain up top. I've driven that MX-6, and it pulled pretty good from 3k until you let off of the gas. I never pushed that engine past 7, because I knew it wouldn't hold together. I've pushed the H22 up past 8, with no ill effects. With NA, I'm looking at well over $1000 just for cams, springs, retainers, etc. That won't even give me much more low end, where it's needed.

Does a turbo spool slightly faster with higher compression engines? From what I've read, the MX-6 was a SOHC, and I'm guessing fairly low compression.

This is my daily driver.

I want all around driving power, not just balls to the wall schizo talking in my ear power.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!! :thumbsup:

im not sure about spooling faster from the higher compression, but generally speaking, a motor with more compression will make more power than one with less compression. So an engine with a higher power output level i would assume would spool a turbo fatser than one wiyh a lower power output. Also remember that an engine with higher compression will make more power on the same boost levels as that of one with lower compression. i hope ive bbeen of some help

more compression does spool faster.

regardless of if you want to make serious power or not... the turbo is too small. after a certain point, it will just be blowing in heat and making you run hot up top, let alone not making any power. heat leads to detonation detonation leads to, well, you know boom

That turbo is too small.

Food for thought, my built (stock compression) H23 has embarrassed three seperate Turbo MX-6, each lightly modded, since I've lived here.

That's not even close to the kind of turbine you want hooked up to your H22, which has even higher flow capacities than my engine. In the upper powerband, it will act less like a turbo and more like a soup can clogged in your exhaust mani.

Overspooling a turbo that poorly matched will do hell to your charge air temps, which will then remove a degree of saftey. You have a nice engine, treat it well.

OK, intelligent answers.

What size would any of you suggest to give me quick spool, and good low-midrange power?

Back