H22 type S

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ferrarikiller

So I'm ready to do an H22 swap into my 96 accord and I was gonna do the normal h22a but came along a prelude type S motor and was thinking why not. has anyone ever seen or heard of this swap. does it fit the same as the H22a? Any feedback is apreciated.

This motor the type s... has 220hp vs. the normal 200! Your choice on which one! I would'nt pay to much more for the type s! If im wrong on the hp rating someone please correct me.

no your right and they do bolt up the same but they do normally cost quite a bit more money for 20 more horse

Yeah, the Type S has the 220hp. I know it has different pistons and maybe longer cams?, not sure. And some speculate that the rings are the same as the USDM motor. I just know the pistons are different.

Alright, let me clear a few things up. The H22 Type S is more than an H22 with 20 more horses.

- It's got a few extra foot-pounds of torque, due to higher compression pistons.
- It's got a hand-ported intake manifold
- It's got a more free-flowing exhaust manifold
- It's got more aggressive cams
- It sometimes came equipped with an LSD tranny

Oh yeah, it also came equipped with a red valve cover, good for 30 or so extra horses to the wheels. ;)

In any case, it's a great engine if you can get your hands on one for a few more dollars than a normal JDM H22.

Thats the swap im doing in my 96 accord too, good motor expensive, but good

u forgot to mention the internals are forged.. stock hehe

Originally posted by IDMaxGuy@Oct 16 2003, 11:37 AM

u forgot to mention the internals are forged.. stock hehe

wrong. they are not forged.

the only real difference internally is the pistons really. i've heard rumors of the rods being a little beefier but not much.

does the type-s come with atts? and do i need to hook it up if it does?

one of the USDM prelude motors came with the ATTS, you dont want that. The 97-01 Type S's mostly came with LSD, if you order it from Hmotorsonline.com i think they give you one with LSD because the LSD optional $300 is not on there, so im assuming they ship you one with LSD, when u buy the motor jsut ask or im sure someone on here has a tranny code reference thingy thatll tell you how to check yourself.

all type s's were lsd. it was a standard factory unit. if you get a motor without the lsd. then you got screwed because that is the only tranny used with the type s.

Is the atts the big clunky fuck that is underneath the intake manifold and in between the axles with all kinds of electrical connections?

Personally, I don't think that type-s motors are worth the extra money, plus they are difficult to find. If I were you I'd get the H22a swap, then spend some money building the H22. The extra hp shouldn't be too hard to gain.

for the extra money you spent on a type s motor, you could probably have yourself a nice port job and racing cams and make more power than the type s engine. not to mention if you have money left over you can have yourself a str intakemanifold and/or throttlebody to get most of your intake side finished :D

Okay guys lets wrap this up, coming from Honda Motor Company, tech,
The Type S is worth it reasons why...

The H22A Type S 220 HP, 163lbs @7200 RPM

(1) The Type S boasts an impressive 100hp/liter engine, producing 220ps from
2.2 liters (2,156cc) utilizing its VTEC technology.

(2) It also comes with the new Prelude's signature ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System) with a new LSD five speed transmission, and the Type S is treated to an active-control ABS that improves braking through turns.

(3) With its smooth torque curve, lower intake resistance, higher compression, and secondary balancers on the engine...its a materpiece.

(4)Type S engine, like the Type R engine, receives a port-&-polish job from Honda.
Honda created a new piston head that increased the compression ratio to 11.0. By doing so, the burn-off response increased, helping heat dissipation, as well as improving torque throughout the power band.

(5) As far as cams go the valve lift on the intake reaches 12.2mm, while the exhaust end reaches 11.2mm. As far as production engines go, these are really high numbers.

(6) Utilizing what Honda calls "dynamic chambers." The throttle body was also bored out from 60mm to 62mm. Even the material used in the inlet manifold was changed to a more fine, granular one in order to make it more smooth. The valve seat was re-adjusted from 60 to 45 degrees. Finally, the cylinder head and intake port was treated to a manual port-&-polish job by Honda technicians.

(7)The exhaust manifold, while retaining its outer diameter, had its opening size increased. The dual-pipe design to follow was made truly cylindrical, (as opposed to oval) and the wall lining was made to 15mm -- decreasing exhaust interference. The catalytic converter was also increased in size, and the exhaust piping increased from 50.8mm to 57mm. The silencer efficiency was increased from 97 liters/second to 113 liters/second. This completes the improvements made on the air flow efficiency of the Prelude Type S.

http://www.accordwagonclub.com/images/a26big.gif
http://www.accordwagonclub.com/images/28big.jpg
http://www.accordwagonclub.com/images/51big.jpg
http://www.accordwagonclub.com/images/a25big.gif

Back