H22 type S

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Also you have to think what happends when you add a cold air intake equal length
headers, and high flow exaust you will always be faster than a base H22
Dont be a fool, honda wouldn't make it if it wasn't worth it.

I'll have pics of mine up here soon along with a dyno chart

turbo= base H22 or H23

NA/ supercharged= H22 Type S

so basically the (roughly) 2500 dollar difference between the h22a and the type s. you are saying that you can't do any better?

lets look at the main differences here.

cams
pistons
Intake manifold
throttle body
lsd
port and polish.

yeah i'd make more power with a good ol jdm h22a.

I've seen the Type S go for much less than that. It's tough these days, since it's much more in demand. You used to be able to get the Type S for $500-$1000 more than an H22A.

Yeah those are the main differences but it comes down to what you want to do with the engine, if you want to go all out fully built turbo charged with over 350
to the wheel hp then dont even think of having the H22 Type S, because all though
you could use the stock head, you would have to reinforce the block, get new rods
new pistons, crank shaft, its not worth it. Save your self some money and get the base H22.

But if your like me and want a wicked NA H22 motor the type s is the shit!

Cause with simple bolt on parts you can get some crazy HP gains, and your a Honda guy right? Lets be honest 200hp isnt shit now a days really has never been a big deal, but lets look at some other great cars the NSX = 290hp??????
= 12.9 quarter mile Thats nuts, but its because its not all about HP it's about how the motor gets it to the tranny and gets it to the wheels, Honda has it down
S2000 = 240 HP quarter mile in 14.1

Skyline = 280 hp Quarter mile in 12.6

So it comes down to prefference all i wanted to point out is that this engine get put down a lot and people dont really see past the 200 hp vs 220 its 20 hp more than what you started with and if its a money factor than thats everyones own bussiness
I paid 3,000 for mine complete with ecu, axles longblock and tranny.

i dont think you can get a port and polish job, a bigger throtle body, 45 degree valve seating, and different pistons for 1,500 bucks not counting labor and being out of a car for a while, but like i said its about preference.

Originally posted by El MaLiGnO@Oct 24 2003, 10:31 AM
But if your like me and want a wicked NA H22 motor the type s is the shit!

i dont think you can get a port and polish job, a bigger throtle body, 45 degree valve seating, and different pistons for 1,500 bucks not counting labor and being out of a car for a while, but like i said its about preference.

:werd: :withstupid:

Edit: Don't forget the cams.

Well, I have a Euro R H22A(Accord Euro R in Japan, Accord Type R in UK... H22A7)

I enjoy the hell out of it, the tunability is amazing. I have a Hondata S200 P30 running it. It eats fuel, but it's a monster.

I thought the Type S had a blue valve cover??? I don't know mucha bout the engine, some sites have it listed has 220hp but not 163hp, something in the 150's. What's the deal with that? And I thought ps wasn't the same as hp. wouldn't it be 212hp? same with the Euro R in it's stock form. I dunno, I have no frickin idea... :) I think the Type S/Euro R is definitely worth the money. Then again, I'm a purist, and what I paid for my swap and all the ancillary parts, I could have boosted a H22A4...

Lastly, about the internals, I just recently rebuilt mine after having some oiling issues(Euro R has a deeper oil pan than a the A4). The crank is forged and balanced from the factory, if you don't believe me, I got pics. :) It has slightly larger main journals than the A4 and thus slightly larger bearings(I had to get Honda bearings from UK for my motor). Rods are cast, obviously, they need to be light.

I enjoy it. You should too. :)

manifold/tb=250bucks
mild p&p=250
type s cams=550
type s pistons(with rings)=350
brand new quaife lsd=700

2100 bucks. for a far superior setup. i have a better flowing head and i have better traction(quaife lsd).

and thats going after a setup much like the type s stock.

i could turn that around into an aftermarket setup for roughly the same amount of money. and i'd make more power.

what people don't see is that the type s is basically a slightly modded h22a from the factory. if you go all stock oem shit. then yes the type s is the best bet. but if you are planning on going crazy n/a or crazy boost. save the money and get a regular h22a. because when it comes down to it. you are going to be changing everything on that motor. everything that makes the two motors different and more powerful than the other will be changed. so now you are left with two identical products. but i'll guarantee you that i spent less.

got a question, with the ATTS tranny, is it harder to swap into an accord, i think SCC, magazine did a h22 accord swap and they said the ATTS couldnt fit into the Accord

The Type S has the red valve cover. The SiR-T has the blue valve cover.

The problem with the H22A4 with ATTS is the intermediate shaft, I believe. I think you need custom axles to make that swap work in an Accord or Civic.

Originally posted by ludegirl@Oct 17 2003, 07:43 PM
Personally, I don't think that type-s motors are worth the extra money, plus they are difficult to find. If I were you I'd get the H22a swap, then spend some money building the H22. The extra hp shouldn't be too hard to gain.

Thats exactly what I'm doing. I"m getting the entire H22 swap for less than the type s motor costs alone.cams pistons and a valve gob and I'm sure I can get that 220 hp.

Originally posted by jdmlude92@Oct 24 2003, 06:24 PM
manifold/tb=250bucks
mild p&p=250
type s cams=550
type s pistons(with rings)=350
brand new quaife lsd=700

2100 bucks. for a far superior setup. i have a better flowing head and i have better traction(quaife lsd).

and thats going after a setup much like the type s stock.

i could turn that around into an aftermarket setup for roughly the same amount of money. and i'd make more power.

what people don't see is that the type s is basically a slightly modded h22a from the factory. if you go all stock oem shit. then yes the type s is the best bet. but if you are planning on going crazy n/a or crazy boost. save the money and get a regular h22a. because when it comes down to it. you are going to be changing everything on that motor. everything that makes the two motors different and more powerful than the other will be changed. so now you are left with two identical products. but i'll guarantee you that i spent less.

where did you find these prices

I've noticed this topic being brought up quite often in other threads. I got my jdm h22 in my 96 4dr accord and I like it a lot but I still wonder what a difference a type s would make.

hey guys is it just me or is this like the 50th repost??? I swear I've seen at least 3 posts on this in the past 2 months! Somebody should pin this or something!

lets add some more to this

you will not be able to get ATTS to work in a non ATTS car. (prelude SH)
there is an accleration sensor, Yaw rate sensor.
the front suspension is set up different on the type S and SH

ATTS wont take a lot of TQ. it will break something inside.

you cannot take ATTS off of the tranny. cuase you will not be able to use a regular intermediate shaft and axle on that side. ATTS Shaft to plug into DIF. is 5mm larger.

so unless you have a 5th gen SH that you fried a piston in. and you dont plan on making more than 300 or so hp. thats the only way its a logical swap.

im going to put one in my 4th gen lude later this year. but its not going to be active. its just going to hang out there. and im going to be happy with about 200whp cause its my winter car.
its coming out of a 99SH that im installing a fully built turbo H22A1 in next month. in exchange for labor and shit.

ALSO if you have ATTS you CANNOT do a ECU reprogram. WITHOUT lossing ATTS. the input/output codes are proprietary from honda and they wont release them to anybody like Hondata or AEM. they plan on using ATTS on more Cars in the future.

OH AND 1 MORE THING...........
BEFORE Honda brought the ATTS system to market in 97 THEY HAD ALREADY PROFECTED AND AWD VERSION.............. YES AWD ATTS.. there just waiting for the right time to bring it out........ maybe somewhere around 2006-7 maybe an AWD RSX TYPE R w ATTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES PLEASE........
Look out Subaru.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
hopefully they will beef up the internals so it will handle more power.

oh and if its a type S it has ATTS
USDM type SH and JDM type S HAVE ATTS
JDM SiR has LSD and 200ps
JDM SiR S spec has LSD and 220ps

1PS = .987hp
220ps = 217.14hp
200ps = 197.4hp

and if you saw a number you thought was way to low like 150 something
it was Kw
150,000watts / by 746 = 201hp
746watts per 1hp

basically type S is like c1 and c5 differences, so if you want a turbo get a regular H22, all motor get a type s a H22a4, but I don't like the ATTC Idea, though,

my .02

I want to see a AWD honda, and put a turbo on it too, lol, :)

ok, now it's time to wake up...
:)

there is a awdgsr-t rex somewhere
seen pics and slips how does 7.2 in the 8th at only 70mph sound....haha sounds like mad traction..... also a awd rsx type s wont have shit on a wrx still doesnt have enough trq to take it off the line

your forgetting that honda is getting passed up right now in the HP battles

come on 250whp neons.........
Saturn Ion Redlines 200hp
Cavaliers and Sunfires offer SC from parts department.
and the new Chevy Cobalt is suppost to be EcoTec Turbo.
its replacing the Cavi.

WRX
EVO
Golf R32
soon to come out Scion xC celica replacement its going to have a bump in HP and possibly AWD.
atleast Scion will have 1 Respectible Vehicle in there lineup.

Honda has shown that the DC5 is the Tuning platform for then next years to come.

There just waiting in the wind. to let everybody else play there cards and then there GOING TO CLIMB BACK ON TOP.

Honda has Extensive Turbo Technology from japan. they offer many Turbo deisels in there goofy box vehicles.

and the fact that the Dualnote is experimenting with 300hp to the rear wheels and 2 50hp electric motors up front, 1 on each wheel. shows that there up to something.

I dont see there Tuning Car the DC5 coming with electric assist. but i would like to see them do the AWD thing.

There will be a day when
Honda Straps a TURBO on a K series or the Next generation of it.
or certain cars like the S2000 see something along the lines of 3.0 V6's with about 330+hp in type R trim w/8500+redlines, and 2.2's 250-60hp in there base.

and AWD is going to be inevidable. they already have 4wd accords in japan.
there just really wasnt a market in the US till now.
with everybody coming out with AWD luxos, G35, BMW's, Subi, Mitsu, VW, audi, etc...

HONDA WILL CLIMB BACK ON TOP!!!! :worthy:

hey it might not be the DC5 but it might be a new version of a Prelude late this decade.
with everybody upping the price of there cars from what use to be low 20's is now low 30's and by that time there going to be up in the high 30's
So honda will sell performance cars that are priced in the 30's

oh and another thing the prelude and accord have been avalible in japan with 4WS. they didnt kill it off like in mid 90's with the prelude.

this would be a dream come true.
DC5R K24 TURBO AWD ATTS 4WS 2650lbs
dont fool your self into thinking they dont have the Technology.

hey they might already have a test mule running laps around motegi. or nurburgring.

just my .02 :blink:

oh one more thing

its not all about getting off the line to run straight

its about getting around the Road Course!

Back