H22 vs H23

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Trigger Jack

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it admist the threads, so I'll ask anyway. I've got a 1993 Prelude Si, with the H23 engine, and like pretty much everyone else, I want more power from it. Problem is, I can't figure out whether I should keep the H23 and rebuild it (it's got about 160k miles on it) or swap it out for a H22 vtec. This is going to be a daily driver, all motor, and no NOS (for those of you who were going to ask/suggest those). I want to be looking at about 250 hp at the flywheel when I'm done with it. I've looked into the normal internal work; pistons, rods, camshafts.....got confused with the whole sleeving/boring out thing, to be honest....but I still don't know what I'd actually need, or what would just be good to do while I've got the engine apart. I'm military, so I'm by no means rich, so please don't give me a suggestion that's gonna end up costing me 10 grand by the time I'm done with it. Anyway, any advice would be great. Thanks.

I'd swap in a top model JDM H22- the ones that are supposely rated at 220hp at the flywheel, then strap on a decent intake/header/exhaust and add some good aftermarket cams. You can hit 250 crank hp easy with a setup like that.

the type S h22 is a hell of a lot more money for an extra 20 horse...

i would swap out the h23 for an h22, and then do the intake header exhaust...
if you're going to change the internals you can easily get a h22 to 250 horse with a high enough compression ratio...

the type s is slightly more aggressive cams, i believe a slightly high compression ratio, and a factory port and polish on the head...
not worth the extra grand in my opinion

and i would highly advise AGAINST building an H23...
i have found them to be less than race motor type reliability...
as in they tend to spin bearings and just can't take a beating in general like an H22 will...

and i would highly advise AGAINST building an H23...
i have found them to be less than race motor type reliability...
as in they tend to spin bearings and just can't take a beating in general like an H22 will...

So your saying that H22 is better then the H23?

i have a site that you can buy type S pistons from that way you can up your CR without having to worry about the honing/boring issue. factory pistons, just up the CR in an h22 to 11:1 roughly. plus you can do as mentioned earlier I/H/E plus a cam upgrade, many companies available, and should get your wanted power. to go the lil extra distance, i also have a link to a place you can get an intake mani that has 1 TB rather thena primary and secondary, meaning you can get a chipped computer and not worry about the secondary never opening.

my friend has a 92 prelude si with a h23. he has a intake, header, and a exhaust. his car is faster than all the h22 preludes he raced. its crazy fast. also have him beating a type-r on film.

Originally posted by gotLX?@May 10 2004, 02:37 PM
my friend has a 92 prelude si with a h23. he has a intake, header, and a exhaust. his car is faster than all the h22 preludes he raced. its crazy fast. also have him beating a type-r on film.

Sorry, but I'm calling :bs: on this statement. All you have to do is look at the figures. Almost equal torque, but the H22 has 30-40 more horsepower, depending on whether it's OBD1, OBD2, or JDM.

An intake, header and exhaust will, at most, add 10-15 horsepower. I'm sure the H23 is faster with those mods, but no way will they enable a Prelude Si beat an Si VTEC. Probably, the driver(s) of the VTEC's were just bad. Or maybe automatic trannies.

Anyway, to answer the question at hand, as suggested above, swapping an H22 is probably the best bet. I'd stay away from the Type S, as you'd have to convert to OBD2, and it really is kinda overpriced for what you pay. Buy a regular JDM H22, find yourself an LSD tranny, and spend the money you saved from not buying a Type S to beefing up what you've got.

Back