h22a swap into my 90 accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sniezek66

Yes i am serously considering doing the h22a type s swap into my 90 accord. My question is will the swap be the same as the h22, in other words will i use all the same components as i would on the h22. Since it is obd2 i didn't know if i would need something else or would have to add more then four wires to it. Let me know

thanks
kurtis

I think 1990 Accord didn't have any obd. You'll might need to get a OBD1 ECU Jumper. The ECU Jumper allows the adaption of a JDM or USD OBD1 ECU into an 88-91 civic/crx or 90-91 Integra. Also, since the Type - S is a OBD2, you'll probably need another wire harness to convert your OBD2 to OBD1.

OBD1 ECU Jumper is a wire harness to convert non-obd vehicles (88-91) to obd1 (92 - 95). JHPUSA.COM offers these jumpers.

Technically, you are OBD 0. But, for all intents and purposes, you are OBD 1.

By switching from OBD 2 to OBD1, you'd be creating a lot more hassle for yourself. I'd stick to OBD 1. You can switch the distributor, injectors and such to convert the engine, but that wouldn't be much fun either. I have heard of this swap being done, but it requires a lot of rewiring to the crank, cylinder position, and TDC sensors. Plus rewiring the injectors and such.

I wouldn't do it, but it can be done.

thanks for the advice guys, so basically the h22 i would be buying from a prelude si would be obd-1 and all that would be involved is runnignt he four wires you told me about? Also this past engine build with my other motor was a freaking nightmare and that is why i'm reluctant to go through another engine build. Importbuilders seem like good people, but very expensive for my taste. What do you recommend i do

kurtis

Originally posted by sniezek66@Aug 29 2004, 10:32 PM
thanks for the advice guys, so basically the h22 i would be buying from a prelude si would be obd-1 and all that would be involved is runnignt he four wires you told me about? Also this past engine build with my other motor was a freaking nightmare and that is why i'm reluctant to go through another engine build. Importbuilders seem like good people, but very expensive for my taste. What do you recommend i do

kurtis
[post=383480]Quoted post[/post]​

92-96 Preludes are OBD 1, except for the 96 in the US. In the US, all cars moved to OBD2 in 1996. 92 Preludes in the US didn't have VTEC.

Just search for a JDM H22A from 92-96, or USDM 93-95.

IB is kinda spendy, but his parts work, and he knows Hondas. If I were you, I'd concentrate on pistons, because of the weakness that I told you. After that, look into more parts depending on your budget and power needs. I'd love a 1200 hp Honda, but I can't afford it. We all settle depending on budget.

Otherwise, I'd be driving a Lamborghini. :lol:

Back