h22a swap need help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a 92 civic hatch with a h22a swap in it running on a p28 ( i bought the car with the p28) my buddy says i can keep the p28 but upgrade the chip.

is this at all possible, or should i get a new ecu.

^^^ yep p28 is a good edu to use. To get started you could put a chip socket in and run crome. If you have the money go with hondata s300 or Neptune. Both are very good and user friendly. I would not attempt to chip your own ecu I would have the shop that's going to tune your car put it in.

i think im gonna go with the hondata s300.

i remember hearing that the p28 is highly customizable, but was told that i couldnt "step on it" and let it go past 4000 rpm otherwise the car would go into safe mode and stall out.

im fairly new to honda's but work at a mechanic shop where we fix wrecked cars so im not completely helpless.

A P28 "can" be used IF IT IS CHIPPED. But if you are chipping an ECU......its kinda like making a mix CD.....anyone can do it but not all can make a good mix.....some mixes SUCK.

Moral of the story....
1) P28 is just a base to start with (a good chip programmer can make a P06 work just as good)
2) Do some actual research on who you choose to chip an ECU or.......Hondata but you need to look at options.....
s100 vs s200 vs s300....b/c the s300 may have options you dont need and could be wasting money.

EDIT:
3) You need to find a tuner first.....see what he 'likes' to tune with and make it happen.
He will be able to lead you in the right direction and may have something local that makes this so much simpler.

Last edited:
Back