H22a Turbo Or N/A?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22adelslow?

TEAMBEAR!
hey guys i have been asking myself (should i turbo it or not?). i would really just like to build the engine na but i like the idea of having turbo. i dont want nos as a power adder but how much would it cost to maybe have the motor (h22a) get to around 250hp? i have looked at some websites that have dynoed the engine and the are all mostly in the 170hp range. im guessing and have hope that i/h/e would get me to maybe oh about 190hp or close to that? what would be some suggestions on the basic bolt-ons and some of the more advanced parts that are available for this engine. oh and i dont have the motor yet, im supposed to maybe get it in like two more days! so what do you guys think (turbo or N/A)? so how much for 250whp? some input would be highly appreciated. thanks :)

you arent' going to get there na without taking the block apart. and that will probably take you over your budget. if you want 250 a bolt on turbo kit is the best way to go. if you want to just do regular bolt ons or stay na without taking the block apart get some good cams, intake manifold, cam gears, and a lot of tuning.

you barely wanna turbo an h22 without without taking the block apart. The FRM sleeves and the weak ring lands really hurt the reliability of that block. If you go much past 8psi its gonna blow. Its a fact of running an H22.

reikoshea said:
you barely wanna turbo an h22 without without taking the block apart. The FRM sleeves and the weak ring lands really hurt the reliability of that block. If you go much past 8psi its gonna blow. Its a fact of running an H22.

an h-22 at 7-8psi is still better than what I/h/e will benefit you though. save for a turbo or build it right and go all out.

damn is it that expensive? well im thinking like $2000 just to get it to maybe the 190-200hp range. am i way off? oh and with the basic boltons and stuff. hey how much does changing the pulleys and belts and all that crap actually give you? im planning on changing just about everything, you know just to get it or restore it back to stock(ING wires plugs and distributor) and maybe the pulleys and what not. what would really be the best way to go. say to run mid-low 13s with full interior on a del sol?

you can put together a turbo kit for $2k if you shop around. tuning is the key. you will be hard pressed to get to 190 for $2000 NA. like I said before. the only way you could do that is with i/h/e and a small shot of nitrous. even though you don't like nitrous, opening up the block for an NA build will cost you well over $2000.

oh man i had no idea it would be that expensive just to get the motor to put out at least 200hp(what it claims)to the wheels. well thanks for the info guys and i guess i now have to sit down and punch in some numbers to see how much i can really dish out for this build. thanks again

well, a stock h22 only puts about 165, maybe 170 to the wheels. if i/h/e adds 10 total hp. that's only 175. you have a long ways to go.

no question i figured, go turbo. if you are happy with doing a littl ebit here and a little bit there then keep it NA, but otherwise i would say get a freakin turbo

cost to HP ratio is way better, but upfront it costs a fair bit more than i/h/e

You can get to 200whp N/A without TOO much difficulty on an H22. You should already be pushing 10:1 to 11:1 compression stock, so you're ready to make power. You can get intake/header/exhaust and a decent set of cams/cam gears for $2000.

What will really open up the engine and get you to your power goal is tuning. You can convert to a Hondata setup or use some of the free tuning solutions to rewrite your fuel and timing maps. Get rid of a lot of the "dumbass error" that covers for putting in bad gas or other things and you can gain a good bit of power. Play with the cam gears to trim things in, tune for the best fuel you're willing to buy all the time, then add in a bit of a safety zone. I'll bet you can get to 200whp without many problems at all- plus you'll have the quick response of an all motor engine.

thanks calesta. thats one of the reasons why i went h22. i had heard that its not that difficult to get that motor to make some power . ive been thinking maybe stage II cams froms skunk. the JUN cams might be a lil to much for me. but any idea how those are?

I've never played with cams on an H22, so no I can't tell you how they are or how hard they are to tune. Search around for dyno plots on the cams- you can usually dig them up pretty easily. 200whp NA without going inside the block should be cake for that engine, especially with some tuning.

ntpog.org has a few. The dynos were done at the place in Calesta's sig a few years ago. Itll give you an idea of what your lookin at.

The h22 is pretty high strung from Honda. There's only so much boost you can add before you have to completely rebuild the engine. If I were building up an h22 i would use a supercharger, especially since the Vtec engagement point is such a drastic jump, you'll actually have power sub-5krpms.

a sc is a good idea, but jrsc has clearance issues with a 4th gen prelude., im willing to bet there would be some big issues with firewall clearance on a civic.

Back