h22a type s swap ecu question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

willy

Honda Prelude Type S
Hi

I have a 1992 Prelude 2.0i (F20A4) with P11 OBD1 ECU. And I have orderd a 97 H22A Type S engine. Wich uses a P5 P OBD2 ECU. If I understand this right, I will need a OBD 2 -> OBD1 conversion harness and a P13 OBD1 ECU from 92-95 H22A?

I have been talking with a tuner to night, he told that if i use a Hondata S300 i wouldent need a conversion harness or a P13 ecu. but to use a S300, and that I would need a P28 or P30 ECU, is this right?

I`m planing a turbo in the near future, within a year or so. So Hondata should be the way to go? Have i got it right now? please correct me if i`m wrong..

edit:

maybe i misplaced this..

Last edited:
Hi

I have a 1992 Prelude 2.0i (F20A4) with P11 OBD1 ECU. And I have orderd a 97 H22A Type S engine. Wich uses a P5 P OBD2 ECU. If I understand this right, I will need a OBD 2 -> OBD1 conversion harness and a P13 OBD1 ECU from 92-95 H22A?

I have been talking with a tuner to night, he told that if i use a Hondata S300 i wouldent need a conversion harness or a P13 ecu. but to use a S300, and that I would need a P28 or P30 ECU, is this right?

I`m planing a turbo in the near future, within a year or so. So Hondata should be the way to go? Have i got it right now? please correct me if i`m wrong..

edit:

maybe i misplaced this..

Hondata works great, but is also kind of expensive for the s300. Consider using crome pro it is about $150 and works every bit as good as hondata. Here is their website < C R O M E > If you are going to be tuning right away go ahead and get a p28 or p30. You can load any basemap into it through the software and if your tuning right away it doesnt matter anyways. That would be the best way to go. Obd1 is the only way to go!!

oki.. thanks, and its just plug and play?
and where do i buy? how is it to tune?

Last edited:
be careful with crome. make sure that your tuner is willing to tune it before you buy it. my tuner has tried it in the past and hated it when compared to hondata. however crome has gotten better and can play with the best of them. my suggestion is hondata (its what i use). hondata has a great support team and there are a lot of people out there that know hondata like the back of their hand.

I have used both hondata and crome personally. Crome is easier to use in my opinion, but again they both work really well. Crome is nice because it is cheaper and unlike hondata s300 their isnt shit you have to add to the ecu, making it quicker and easier to set up.

Yes it will be plug and play once you get the jumper harness. Good luck!! ;)

talked to a another tuner today, he recomended me to use aem standalone ecu, this will cost 1700$ but i will have to se how much money i can afford to spend. planing a turbo build nesxt year so.. have a motorcycle i can use in the summer also, so its no hurry with the car..

AEM are nice but it isnt worth the money. There is not really any advantages of using one. You pay more for it, and you pay more for the tuning. When tuning with CROME or Hondata you are modifying factory fuel and timing maps. With the AEM standalone you dont have shit for a good base map, so you spend twice as much time at least tuning it. There are some nice features, but you have a Honda. Honda has the luxury of having the easiest to hack ecu. With CROME or Hondata a Honda ecu is as standalone as it gets. You can spend your money how you want. But if I were you I would go with CROME or Hondata and put that hard earned money else where, like your turbo setup!! I would only use a AEM standalone if I had a highly modifyed vehicle other then a Honda.

I'm using crome, and I love it. I hadn't done jack as far as tuning a FI car and I figured it out pretty easily. I used the free version with the ostrich rtp though.

Back