H22A Vs. H23A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up Hondaswap peoplez? Currently, I'm planning to go turbo on my H22A. I know the JDM H22A block is an open-deck, and a H23A is a slightly close-deck, which allows for higher boost. Also, the H23A is a 2.3 liter, and the H22A is a 2.2 liter. So, this is my plan:

If - H23A Block: I plan to go with a sleeve block, new low-compression pistons, rods, crank, balancing/polish, bearings, pumps, and seals. Since the H23A block is a 2.3, it has a slightly bigger displacement, but will I see a bigger gain in power verses a H22A block with the same build, but only with a 2.2 liter?

So, which block will be a better build; H22A or H23A block?

Isn't a H23A a non vtec? And a H22A is a vtec motor right?
I could be wrong but I think I am right. For all motor it does not matter which motor you go with but I think boosting you would want a H22A.
I hope I am right.

if your going to sleeve it, which deck it has doesnt matter, as you can sleeve it either open or closed deck. to make life easy, and still have 2.3 liters +, add a mm or 2 of overbore, and you can also use a h23 crank and rods in the h22a block. id personally run that setup- h22a block, slight overbore, h23 crank and rods. probably end up with a 2.4 or 2.5 liter motor.

OBD1 H22 = closed deck
OBD2 H22 = open deck
regardless of USDM or JDM..

H22 head will not bolt to H23 block easily, so there is little point in building a higher displacement block while loosing the vtec head...

there is however rumor of a H23 Vtec from either JDM or EDM, i have no idea if it exists or not, but it is said to cost about a thousand dollars more...

so if you can afford an H23 vtec then go with that, otherwise just stick with H22 head and block, OBD1 for boost, or sleeved to your choice of deck...

Originally posted by b204dr@Nov 17 2004, 01:54 PM
h23a vtec is from euro r accords blue top i think and yea it is more expensive like 1000
[post=418364]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope.

Here's a link to a Japanese website, use your favorite website translator: http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/ModelData/accor...-708/index.html

Here's a link to a great thread on H-T that explains alot about the different H-series engines, including the H23A, which was VTEC, and came in Accord SiR wagons ONLY, with an auto tranny ONLY (a 5-speed will bolt up, however): http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641555

i can't get my translator to work correctly for now...

am i seeing this correctly? the 2.3 vtec came with 4WD in the accord wagon?

and whats the HP specs for the H23A vtec

I had trouble getting my translator to work correctly as well. I'm not exactly sure on the specs for the engine, but I believe it's still only 200 hp, and about 165 ft-lbs of torque. However, I think the slightly increased displacement allows the torque to occur a little lower.

I don't know about the 4WD aspect, but it wouldn't surprise me, since we get the junk over here in the US. <_<

Originally posted by b204dr@Nov 17 2004, 02:54 PM
h23a vtec is from euro r accords blue top i think and yea it is more expensive like 1000

:no:

H23 1993-1995 Prelude Type S (JDM)
H23A1 1992-1996 Prelude SE/Si

Taken from our very own reference forum. The H23 did NOT come in the Euro R.

This post contains no personal comments or opinions; only facts.

Originally posted by civicious+Nov 18 2004, 09:01 AM-->
@Nov 17 2004, 02:54 PM

:no:

H23 1993-1995 Prelude Type S (JDM)
H23A1 1992-1996 Prelude SE/Si

Taken from our very own reference forum. The H23 did NOT come in the Euro R.

This post contains no personal comments or opinions; only facts.
[post=418688]Quoted post[/post]​

True, neither the H23A1 nor the H23 came in the Euro R. Only versions of the H22A came in the Euro R (the H22A7, I believe). However, if you read my link to the post on H-T, it shows that the H23A (note the lack of a trailing numeral) came in the Accord Wagon

Edit: And yes, it had a blue top.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 18 2004, 09:27 AM
SiR = Euro R?
[post=418699]Quoted post[/post]​

No. They're different.

The Accord Euro R had an H22A7 (DOHC VTEC, blue top). The Accord SiR had the F20B (DOHC VTEC, blue top).

Nyquil, to answer your question in a simple form: h22/23 frankenstein is a pain in the ass. if you have a h22 already keep it and turbo it that way. watch out for certain turbo manifolds. <--- makes sure the flange for the turbo housing is more to the left side than the center cuz it'll give you problems with fitting your alternator (thats what i was having with until i we built this blocks to space the alternator out in which we'll be done with that very shortly)

edit: oh and if displacement is important to you and you have all the money in the world stick with the h22 cuz they make stroker kits that go beyond 2.3L. not sure howfar i know they go to atleast 2.4 but they might go as high as 2.6L with the stroker kit and boring. i cant remember the website anymore... if i remember i'll post it

wow.

would this be considered thread jacking a dead thread?;)

its not thread jacking =P

just the engine
rebuilt only about 400 miles on it
the total engine..no ideal, supposdely everything was replaced..there was an auto tranny but i didnt want that..i actually trade my wrecked del sol...for the engine i kinda lost out..the guy that had the prelude wrecked it right after he got it rebuilt..wrapped it around a tree...passenger door was almost in the drivers seat .....yea...but if you come get it ill let it go cheap...500....400..something like that sound good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back