h22a vtec not kicking in??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

austinJDM

i have a h22a and the vtec sometimes doesnt kick in at all or it kicks in at diff rpms like 5500 or 6000, jw why it would do this. if im drivng and down shift it wont kick in i shut the car off and then it would work?

I'd also check your wires and ground, also the engine will not go into VTEC if the load isn't enought, its not warm enough, your oil presure is to low... Another thing is check the wires going to the brain and also what brain are you running? p13?p14? p28? or p72? a few of them need to be re maped for you car... Also the engine kicks it self down to give it the apearance of VTEC but actully its not.. anywayz good luck with the problem

Or you just can't hear it some days...well tuned vtec's are not supposed to even sound/feel different, but one smooth transition

Or you just can't hear it some days...well tuned vtec's are not supposed to even sound/feel different, but one smooth transition

Not all wayz... the motor is going to sound diffrent due to the ammount of air / fuel mixture it changes :).... But it shouldn't be going in and out, honestly I think something is off in his motor or maybe his ECU is having some issues

take your vtec solenoid screen off and see if there is something clogging it

i would agree with bluejcivic...remove the vtec selonoid and make sure the filter screen isnt clogged up or dirty...also make sure ur oil is full otherwise u wont have enuff oil pressure to kick into vtec...if those are kewl i would then jump to ur wires and ecu...good luck

Is your check engine light on? If so find out if your throwing any codes & fix that, it could be something small that you wouldn't think of. I actually have a h22a & my vtec wasn't hitting simply because my tbs was unplugged. I guess vtec goes into "dormant" mode when the check enigine light is on.

I don't totally agree with that, I'm running on a hondata on what I'd believe to be a very good tune and when my tec kicks in I FEEL and HEAR the engagement, the car practically SCREAMS...it's wonderful, I love it.

Got to remeber the H22 at 4,800rpms also has something the motor does that can feel like vtec but its not, i dont remeber the exact wording for it, but yes u are right u should FEEL and HEAR vtec...

Back