H22a W/ Accord Auto Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drock42

I know the H22 will bolt up to the 5-speed tranny of the accord, but what about the automatic. Here's the deal. I bought an H22 without a transmission....now I'm selling that engine to a guy with a '91 accord with an auto transmission. I just want to make sure it will bolt to his tranny before I sell it to him....I'm not trying to screw anyone over.

:ph34r: I am in the middle of my swap and yes the auto tranny bolts up. I am puting a h22a into my 94accord lx and using a 91 accord tranny. But if the tranny can take a 200hp pounding, I dunno??? cause I THINK stock accords make around 140-150 hp. So if the drive is a ricer I dont THINK the tranny gonna last too long. he or she might fry the torque converter. well this is just my take on it dunno untill i find out for myself.

Originally posted by BlackJDMdeath@Feb 19 2003, 06:44 PM
oh good lord why would you do such a thing?

Sell the engine or put it in an automatic car? I'm selling it because it's just the engine, no tans. or ecu. I can get a deal on another one with ecu and H22 trans and since I'm going NA it'd be better to have the lude tranny. As for putting that engine in an automatic car...I don't have a clue why anyone would do that!! :p

I'm doing a swap to an automatic tranny, for a few reasons.
1. I spun a bearing on my first motor.
2. I tried to get out cheap with another F22, and spun a bearing, within two days.
3. I wanted some more poop, but I'll never see a track.
4. I already have a hot rod.
5. I would rather buy a car with a five speed than do a 5 spd. tranny swap.

It sounds silly, but I like to cruise, as well as drive. I could get in trouble in a Yugo for god's sake. People can spend hundreds on bolt-ons just to get the same performance as an H22. I just like the idea of leaving a great engine alone. If your gonna go, go hard, or go home. I'm picking up some economical, fun, shit-eating grin ponies. No hard feelings, I'd love a five speed, but it's not in the cards right now. But hey, a lot of people say they're gonna do this or that, and never come through, I'm for real.....and I HOPE that it works out for the best.

Originally posted by tab@Feb 21 2003, 02:22 AM
I'm doing a swap to an automatic tranny, for a few reasons.
1. I spun a bearing on my first motor.
2. I tried to get out cheap with another F22, and spun a bearing, within two days.
3. I wanted some more poop, but I'll never see a track.
4. I already have a hot rod.
5. I would rather buy a car with a five speed than do a 5 spd. tranny swap.

It sounds silly, but I like to cruise, as well as drive. I could get in trouble in a Yugo for god's sake. People can spend hundreds on bolt-ons just to get the same performance as an H22. I just like the idea of leaving a great engine alone. If your gonna go, go hard, or go home. I'm picking up some economical, fun, shit-eating grin ponies. No hard feelings, I'd love a five speed, but it's not in the cards right now. But hey, a lot of people say they're gonna do this or that, and never come through, I'm for real.....and I HOPE that it works out for the best.

i have a 96 accord and have a jdm auto h22 tranny
i love my setup and will be boosting once i get my turbo. i have all but the t3/t4e i am looking for...

you wont have problems installing or getting it running.. just wish i was obd1.

plus everyone knows a truely built auto will woop any stick anyday

no ping no miss shifts and spooling from the line.. oh my

Originally posted by Kteller8@Feb 21 2003, 01:42 AM
plus everyone knows a truely built auto will woop any stick anyday

no ping no miss shifts and spooling from the line.. oh my

Please oh please do us the favor and explain yourself.

What's a ping?

Misshifts happen most often to inexperienced drivers, or those with a bad tranny.

Why can't a 5-speed spool from the line?

How about auto trannies losing sometimes 10% more power than a 5-speed counterpart?

What about most auto trannies being longer-geared 4-speeds?

What about auto trannies having agonizingly long times between shifts while the tranny decides what gear it wants to be in?

I'll take on a similarly built auto tranny any day.

lol any day? chances are you wouldnt know what to do with an auto tranny to get the performance of a 5 speed, it can be acheived, but it is soooooo boring! you do realize you're turning a shitload more weight with an auto, right? the only way that an auto is superior to a 5 speed is consistancy, the ability to dial your car in perfectly. dont think that because something does all the work for you that you are a good driver, it just doesnt work that way lol ill take a 5 speed over an auto in an import every day of the week.

I'll admit, I love to carry my 20 oz. bucket of coffee in my right hand on the way to work. That's a great automatic tribute. But........there's still that feeling you get, when the R's are perfect, the tires are sticky, and you're next to a similarly built car, and you smoke em'. The perfect launch, every time is different, but you don't forget those.....Later

Originally posted by BlackJDMdeath@Feb 21 2003, 01:48 PM
the only way that an auto is superior to a 5 speed is consistancy

:werd:

Just means that you have to work harder and practice more to get a 5-speed to win at the track.

hmmm well come to think about it, is a stock accord can take a 50 shot NOS it should hold up to a h22. And the reason i am doin such a swap is because it's a cheap solution. I bough a JDM motor for 1500 with everything but the trans, i was gonna but a h22 tranny but Y spend more cash when i can convert to 5sp later. For the condition of my motor and the price, no regret. I'll just blow up the accord tranny later then swap to 5 speed. :D

LOL just blow it up huh... boom, like that? nah dude, if you plan on fucking something up, its not like you're going to be able to control everything it fucks up... my dads clutch exploded in his mustang... wow, woopdy doo, his clutch is fucked, right? wrong. it shattered the bell housing on the tranny, fucked the back of his block, his flywheel cut his master cylinder off at the fire wall, cut one of his hood springs in half and blew a 2 square foot hole in the pavement. if you plan on fucking something up, thats stupid. you're going to regret it the second you succeed. and BTW it is Nitrous not NOS.

i was speaking of a fully built auto tranny. untill you put some money into sure
a stock five speed will be faster

have you ever been or drove a tranny that as been built for race pursposes?

with stalls speeds

all that luxuriouis lag crap taken out

you can even drop gears and hold rpm levels with a built tranny..

so much more then a run of the mile stock auto..

thats what i was saying!!!!!!!

hey mike- good to see you here!!

FYI KTeller8 is the guy i got that kick-ass exhuast from
</shameless plug>

anyway, as for building boost off the line in an manual- hello and welcome to hondata :)

Originally posted by tab@Feb 21 2003, 02:22 AM

It sounds silly, but I like to cruise, as well as drive. People can spend hundreds on bolt-ons just to get the same performance as an H22.  I just like the idea of leaving a great engine alone.  If your gonna go, go hard, or go home.  I'm picking up some economical, fun, shit-eating grin ponies.  No hard feelings, I'd love a five speed, but it's not in the cards right now.  But hey, a lot of people say they're gonna do this or that, and never come through, I'm for real.....and I HOPE that it works out for the best.

Hey everybody.

I'm in the same situation as Tab.
I drive a 1991 Accord EX. It's a 4dr, auto with the sportshift button, dark blue with blue interior and 190000 kms on it. I'm the second owner and the guy who owned it before me kept it in near mint condition. The engine is the F22, I think. It's also a Canadian model, seeing as how I live here. ;)

I also want to drop an H22 in but I'm new to the custom side and am not sure which year or type I should put in. WHEN I do it, and I WILL, I'll be getting a new harness and ecu, but I'm hoping to keep the stock tranny for now. I know that oem will wear out faster with the extra power but, I'm hoping to get a 'Lude auto tranny later on.
Will I have to change the suspension and axles? :huh:

As much as I'd love to get a stick, it's just not viable right now and the hassle of conversion from auto to stick is more than I want to deal with at the moment.

Teach me. I need to learn. :worthy:

Back