H22a1 Sitting here, I want some performance, help?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

opiateofsorrow

Hello all,

so I recently managed to purchase an 95 H22a1 Engine, and I am -aware- of some of the options open to me. I was going to just throw it in to my 93 Accord, but I figured seeing as its out now, this is the cheapest time to work on it (or have someone work on it.)

I'm not looking to spend tonnes of money, as I won't really see it back from the car. But I am willing to sacrifice about 1500-2000 dollars to make it purr a bit more.

I have an understanding, though novice, of some of the options out there for me. I'm aware that some of these are probably above my price range, but...

-port and polish
-increasing bore and stroke
-turbo/supercharger
-lightweight pulleys?
-??????

I come here as a novice, seeking advice from people who have tested and tuned H22a1 engines before, for say about 2000 what could I do to the engine, like what would work together the best for that price? I'm looking to have a nice, clean engine, with extra ballls inside.

pass on everything except the turbo. build a turbo kit for about $1500 and get a good tune. you'll add 50% or more hp. everything is will cost too much with too little results.

Okay, I've heard hearsay from a few tuning shops that they won't turbo h22s because they blow up... But aren't there steps I have to take in order to prepare my engine for turbo? Or can I run it with a turbo stock?

Okay, I've heard hearsay from a few tuning shops that they won't turbo h22s because they blow up... But aren't there steps I have to take in order to prepare my engine for turbo? Or can I run it with a turbo stock?

they do tend to blow up due to bad tuning (oooooooo sick burn).

The Fiber Reinforced sleeves are usually to blame for this. It's best to resleeve an h22 before running any kind of forced injection.

Since you asked the question however, you can get a set of stage 2 crower cams, spring and retainer set, higher compression pistons (id stay with mahle since they have pistons specially designed to work with a stock h22 block), Eagle rods, and a tune for around 2 grand. might come in a bit higher because the cost of tuning is an unknown quantity.

Mahle Gold Series Pistons Eagle Rods H22 Stock Sleeves:eBay Motors (item 290334032552 end time Sep-22-09 13:49:45 PDT)

Crower Cams & Equipment - What's New

Crower Cams & Equipment - What's New

You might be able to find these deals even cheaper. A little known fact in the sport compact community is that you can get a lot of parts from the v8 drag engine builders cheaper than your average tuning shop. The reason is that those guys have distribution contracts with the company's you're interested in and a lot of times they'll cut you a good deal, much better than you get at most tuning shops.

hahaha i never thought of it that way. but true, i'll just stay away from that shop to be safe.

and thanks so much for the information! you've really helped me a lot.

so, now that it -is- in fact possible to run the h22 without resleeving, should i spend the extra money and do it anyway? or are the results the same? i'm guessing that the higher the amount of compression the more likely you should resleeve.

If you go NA (see above) you dont need to resleeve. it is highly recommended you resleeve any h22/h23 making more than 300HP.

i have seen several h22's with a jackson racing supercharger and nothing else done. they are pretty quick, but will still get beat by a gutted gsr hatch.

you just need to determine what you want the power for and how much you want.

iirc the jrsc kit for the h22 made 280whp. Which is still under 300hp. its pretty much the reason why i used that number because i know that it's been done multiple times on stock internals with no issues.

Alright, cool. I think that is what I will aim for, the Jackson Racing Supercharger. Now that being said, should I aim for a P28 ECU perhaps? What would you recommend for ECU?

I failed to mention, I am planning on making the prelude engine remain an automatic (that is what my car is right now.) Do you know what TCU and ECU I should use?

p13 is born of fail. a p72 is a better choice for an h22 since it can control the butterflies.

Get any vtec ECU, get hondata, i recommend the S300, and get it tuned, it will be so much easier in the long run, as you modify and change things. And by getting hondata, it doesnt matter what ECU you use as long as its vtec, so you dont have to worry about finding an over priced p72.

Get any vtec ECU, get hondata, i recommend the S300, and get it tuned, it will be so much easier in the long run, as you modify and change things. And by getting hondata, it doesnt matter what ECU you use as long as its vtec, so you dont have to worry about finding an over priced p72.

Applications By ECU

Please don't spread misinformation.

yeah okay, cause the $595 s300 is exactly what you need for a low budget build.

< C R O M E >

hondata s100 is all you will need. ftw. you really dont need an s300 unless you are going all out.

Back