H22A2 help needed!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bradw116

Probobly not the normal first post but hey here goes...

Basically me and a friend have brought an unfinnished progect involving putting a H22a2 engine in the rear of a peugeot 106 making it RWD.

106VTEC.jpg

We have the completed the bodywork and are now attempting to sort out what the prevoius owners has done with the engine!

The problems are as follows.

1. The idle will not settle it hunts from like 1-2k rpm. I have read on this site that people need to chech and clean the fast idle valve and the ICV but i dont know exactly which ones these are. Does anybody have a picture or write up of what to do here?
  2. Secondly the VTEC will not engage. We have tried all the usual things like the solenoid wireing and the oil level/temp but to no avail. We think the problem may be when the prevoius owner installed the engine he cut alot of the wireing loom away. All we have left now as you can just about see in the photo is 1 red plug left I dont know if this is any use or not!
To get us started on the VTEC problem does anybody have a list of exactly what peramiters/readings the ecu needs to allow VTEC to engage?

Also is there any way of wiring up a light to the ecu to access any error codes that may been stored. Obviously the front part of the loom is no longer there to access this!! If this is possible does anybody know what wires would need to be connected together.

The serial number for the engine is 2800153 H22A2 if that helps.

Photo-0028.jpg

Photo-0027.jpg

Any ides would be most welcome.

Ummmm I cant help you with your problem..........But damn dude that is some great craftsmanship.

Awesome project!! I'd love to see more pics and maybe a vid when your done.

For the hunting idle:
Bleed your coolant - air affects the fast idle thermo valve, which opens when your motor is cold
Check the voltage for the TPS - .45v closed throttle
How To Clean IACV :: How To: Clean Your IACV - Team Integra [they have great articles, bookmark that!]

For vtec:
Usually vtec requires a pressure check. if that passes, then it will spool, meaning pressure will be exerted on the pin by oil. then it should engage. i cant remember, but some ECUs may not do the check. you can disable the check if you chip your ECU. you shouldn't have to do that though. vtec also requires the engine to be above 120 degrees f, i belive. if not 120 then some other value.

Get yourself a helms, chilton, or hayes manual for your particular engine. Those have wiring diagrams, and also tell you how to clean the IACV, among other things, such as the red plug.

What codes are you throwing??

May or may not be related, but my '00 ex has a similar sized green plug, which i *think interfaces vtec. idk... it's swapped tho, b16 obd1 from obd2

cool car too! what country are you in?

Last edited:
YBLEGAL - Thanks for your speedy response and sorry for my delayed response! Unfortunately we dont know what codes it is throwing up as there is no dashboard in place we have put an all in 1 Stack type dash inplace. Is there any way of wiring up the MIL light seperately? If so what colours do we need to jump to make it flash?

A bit of an update.....We found a pinout diagram for the p13 ECU and went back to the start!

Bad idle

We started by removing the intake manifold and cleaning everything! Anything that moved got cleaned and if it didnt look like it moved we cleaned it anyway! This all made no difference.

We then found that the EGR valve wasnt connected as the wire had been cut at the plug on the ECU also we didnt know that there was a EGR solenoid as this was also missing! We brought all the relavent pieces that were missing but when we put this all into place we needed the wire for the plug in the solenoid but acdcording to our wiring diagram the EGR solenoid valve wire (red/white) is already connected to the EGR lift valve in the 3wire connector? (I think that makes sense!):confused:

So the question is does anybody know what colour the pinout in the p13 ecu is for the EGR solenoid valve. The motor is H22a2 if that makes any difference.

The VTEC

Whilst reserching on the internet I found that the H22 has an electronic speed sensor which has to be connected to let the ECU know the vehicle is moving to allow it to engage VTEC. Unsuprisingly this wire had also been cut at the ECU plug! We connected this back up but it still didnt work. :( We have also checked the VTEC solenoid by putting a 12v direct source to it when the car was idleing and it did work so atleast thats OK!

We are now out of ideas for this so if anybody has any other ideas please HELP:)

With regards to everything else we are based in Bournemouth in the UK and as soon as it is up and running i will put up some vids and more pictures.

Thanks

Can anybody let us know if the oil pressure sensor in the bottom of the engine under the oil filter needs to be connected to allow the VTEC to work?

Thanks

haha, i assume so! it relies on oil pressure...as i'm sure you know. deffinatly hook it up! ^_^

please someone!!!!!

Hi im the other friend with this car and still no luck. i have just grounded the engine to the chasis as this was not done can someone give me a list of all the wires/sensors that need to be working to make this vetc work. i have no was of pluging a prelude dash in to find out what codes its throwing out so its a little blind. its redlining at 6500 donig 62 mph.

any advise welcome im lost

Your in what's called "Limp Home Mode". Your TPS may not be hooked up properly, or your ECU may not be able to read it's internal ROM. Or you have the wrong ECU...

You can re-chip your ecu (replace the ROM) w/ hondata or something like it and connect your laptop or pc to the ECU in your car. This will allow you to read all sensor's information, along w/ seeing any error codes your car may be throwing.

There must be a way to connect an LED someplace on the wiring harness for the check engine light, but I have no idea, and got no help when I've asked around before.

Check your map and tps plugs, they are very similar

thanks for your help. this conecting a laptop to my ecu sounds interesting but i am a compleate novice and really have no ida where to plug it in can you elaberate on this? cheers raz

He was talking about using Hondata, which interfaces with the ECU and allows you to connect you pc/laptop to the ECU and change settings and read the sensors and such. Do a search on it and you'll see what hes talking about, its a pretty sweet type system.Which Ecu do you have in there tho? -Gary

ok thanks for all your help now the dam thing is running on 3 will this car ever work,ill look into this Hondata. ive done a voltage check on the ecu and all the voltages are good only thing i havent tested is the speed sensor i need to take it up the road apparently it pulses at 12v any advise is still more than welcome thanks raz

Back