H22a4 in 96 Accord AUTO to STICK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CivicLS

hey guys wuz up. i'm working ona accord that my boy has and we put an h22a4 but automatic it was running and everything.
everything was good but it was just waaaayyy to slow. i even had to change the plugs on the dizzy to his original plugs. everything went well it was an external coil type.
but now when we conveted the car to stick. i have everything in the car everything is good everything is done, im using the wire convertio n harness, and all computer gives fuel and all, but spark. no spark what so ever, i only get positive signal. so i told him to buy new dizzy and when we got it. SHIT same thing. nothing. fuel yes but no spark, so i changed the ECU's to stock and nothing. grounds are good and all. i also changed to the obd2 gsr ecu i had here and still no spark. can it be the dizzy again???/ we did buy it used but now we cant return it because we cut the plugs to change it his kind of plug.
has anyone had this problem??
or knows about this problem ???
this is killing me because this would be some luck if the dizzy is no good this would be 2 dizzy now.

You can try another dizzy if you have one laying around. Even if the housing is different, IE accord dizzy. Just twirl the shaft by hand and check for spark.

if im correct, accords have internal coils and h22's/ preludes have external coils. did u make sure you converted the engine from external to internal?? and if you did , make sure u didnt disconnect or connect the wrong wires together

well when i did the swap, i first did it and left it automatic, and i had to put an MSD external coil. thats what i did and it was working just fine then thats when we had gathered everything for stick and we converted it to stick, and from 1 week motor sitting from waiting for more parts, it just stoped working (THE DIZZY) when i put the motor back in. my boy bought another dizzy, but USED (EBAY) so im having doubts about it. im trying to get a friend with the same car to let us try there dizzy. but he lives far so i cant get him to come by.
hey by the way how is that crome p28 working out. cuz im looking into going with my boy to tune it but i dont know what program to ask for. i have crome on my laptop now and i like it, it has good options for boost but i dont know???

92CivicLS said:
well when i did the swap, i first did it and left it automatic, and i had to put an MSD external coil. thats what i did and it was working just fine then thats when we had gathered everything for stick and we converted it to stick, and from 1 week motor sitting from waiting for more parts, it just stoped working (THE DIZZY) when i put the motor back in. my boy bought another dizzy, but USED (EBAY) so im having doubts about it. im trying to get a friend with the same car to let us try there dizzy. but he lives far so i cant get him to come by.
hey by the way how is that crome p28 working out. cuz im looking into going with my boy to tune it but i dont know what program to ask for. i have crome on my laptop now and i like it, it has good options for boost but i dont know???

well. usually a lack of spark comes from something part of the ignition becoming faulty or something not wired properly. all i can think of is...... assuming since you've done an auto to manual conversion, you've also changed the ECU's as well. now this is not likely to happen but you coulld have a faulty ECU or the ECU may not be regualting spark to the dizzy. reason why i say this is becuase the auto to manual conversion really has nothing to do with anything else electrically in the car except for the ecu, which ovibously has to be changed out becuase the auto ecu will not work with the manual set-up. besides that everything is mechanical ( clutch, clutch petal, clutch cable, slave cylinder ETC.)

what ECU are u using?? is the h22 an OBD1 or OBD2 motor??

as far as the crome p28, hands down its the best program ive ever ran on my car. i had this guy named PROJECK TUNING burn the program for me (i think hes part of hondaswap as well) and he was able to burn me a chip exactacly to my specifications which is what i exactacly needed becuase im running DSM 450cc injectors. try it out youll defiantely notice a difference but make sure you use a p28

ok well im putting in the obd1 P28 ECU but right now im putting in the stock ecu because i thought the ecu was bad, but no it still does nothing with the stock ecu, and i put an obd2 gsr and still nothing, and i've used these ecus before so i dont know.
BUT I TRIED THE DIZZY ON MY FRIENDS ACCORD AND I PLUG IT IN AND GROUNDED IT AND MOVED THE THE IN THE BACK AND I GOT NOTHING, JUST LIKE ON MY BOYS CAR WITH H22.
SO I THINK HE BOUGHT THE DIZZY THAT WAS BROKEN (USED) SO WE HAVE 2 DIZZY'S BROKEN RIGHT NOW. FROM MY UNDERSTANDING.

WHERE IS THIS GUY LOCATED AT TO CHIP THE P28 I GOT. OH AND ITS A OBD2 H22A4 IN A OBD2 96 ACCORD EX. FUNNY THING IS THE INJECTOR PLUGS ARE OBD1, SAME GOES FOR MY OTHER FRIEND WITH THE ACCORD 97 OBD2 BUT WITH OBD1 INJECTOR PLUGS.
HEY!!! IS IT OK TO USE THE 450CC INJECTOR ON ALL MOTOR SETUP I MEAN HE WILL BE USING (NOS) ONCE IN A WHILE. U KNOW. CUZ I GOT 450CC INJECTORS FROM DSM FOR MY TURBO SETUP BUT, I CAN GIVE TO HIM FOR NOW. SO HE CAN TUNE ALSO WE WILL BE PUTTING 255 WALBRO, YOU DONT THINK IT WILL BE TOO MUCH FUEL????? FOR MAINLY ALL MOTOR SETUP, STOCK BLOCK AND HEAD. WITH ALL BOLT ONS.

i think the guy that did my chip was from pennsylvania but i cant remember..its been a while. as far as the 450cc DSM's, i would highly recommend using them especially if your going to be using Nitrous. i personally am using a naturally aspirated set-up as of now. the main reason why im using them is because.....to make a long story short.....my stock h22 345cc injectors got stolen by the kid who helped me do my swap and he switched them with my old f22 injectors. i know that sooner or later i was going to be boostin' so i decided to just go ahead and get the 450cc DSM now rather then replacing them with stock 345cc since i had the oppertunity. if you get the proper chip and get the car well tuned, those 450cc injectors will become a benifit to you especially using all motor. nitrous is more effificient when there is more fuel present especailly if your running a wet kit. but the larger injectors will make good if you also want a little bit more top end during VTEC. i personally felt a big difference when i put the 450cc injectors and the programed chip on my H22. alot less sputtering during takeoff and seemingly alot more power during VTEC.

i also am running the walbro 255 as well and i would defiantley suggest that you get an adjustable fuel regualtor beucase the walbro is going to boost you fuel pressure way higher than your going to want it so your going to need to adjust it. i think th stock pressure right now on most honda blocks are around 35-40 im running mine at about 48-50 with the chip.

ok great! thats good because he was going crazy trying to find 380cc injectors that he saw 1 time so i told him let me find out about the 450cc i got. so you can use them.
as far as tunning i will be taking it to FINE TUNE in miami, and i heard they have diffrent programs to use with, so since i played around with crome i kinda liked it, and you did it and you say you like it i might go with that you know.
but hey thanx for the info if i do have more questiuons i will be writing to you.
as far as the dizzy goes nothing has happened yet cuz we are waiting for a friend to get a swap with the dizzy we need because my friend doesnt want to spend money again on another dizzy.
i hope this car comesout running good. cuz i've spent alot of time on that car.
one more question.
HEADERS, what kind of headers you got. and what should my friend invest in???
Thank you !!

450cc dsm injectors are very easy to find and cost alot less than RC's or denso and fit right in with some modification to the fuel rail rubber "O"- rings.

as far as the headders go, to be honest with you ....im actually using some Ebay knockoff headers. the reason why im using those is because.....when i was first doing the swap, i thought i was going to have an issue with fittiment being that i was swapping out smaller F22 and putting the larger H22. i thought that he h22 headders would be too short to fit onto the accord DC sports catback system that i had so i went and just bought some BullShit ebay headders just in case i had to mod them to fit, i didnt wanna spend money on a good set of headders if they had to be chopped up. but they wound up fitting with no modification needed whatsoever. the only reason why i havent changed them is because i just havent had the the time to and to be quite honest with you, theres really nothign wrong with them. they seem to be perfectly fine.

me personally, all headders seem the same. i mean, besides the fact that they come in different materials (chrome, ceramic) all a headder is doing for you is opening up more airflow for the release of exhaust fumes. the stock exhaust manifold and aftermarket headders arent really that much different. a afetrmarket exhaust headder maybe have max total of a 1/4 inch larger opening than the stock exhaust manifold but thats really about. some people spend like 3 bills on headders . i spent 80 and they do the same exact thing.

if you looking for a good invenstment man,....unless you plan on running turbo i would highly recommend investing into a set of aftermarket CAMS. vtec blocks love cams and thats where you can make some good HP by getting rid of those stock cams and getting a set of skunk2 or crower cams . easily with PROPER TUNING you looking at a possible 10 -12 wheel horse power increase.

Last edited:
ok good because my boy, got those same chrome headers you see on ebay, hehe, but you know its funny i think the same way about headers and just the other day one of my friends has a 2006 type s rsx and he bought comptec headers $1000 !!!! and i was like damn bro you could of bought something cheaper and i told him the same thing.
but then a while past and one of his friend has the same car, and got cheap headers and its they got the same mods, but one gets beat by like 3 cars plus so he got mad and took it to get tunned with VAFC and still same shit, gained power but still gets beat.
so he got mad and bought dc sports headers $350 race headers. and they raced again and sure enough he stayed by his door all the way. so i said to myself i wont tell anyone else what i think.
but yea he should be getting the dizzy tommorow, so hopefully it starts!!!
so i can take that car to the races soon, after we tune it. im actually looking at the hondata one of my other friends left here, and went online and i dont really like it, its complicated a little. i just need time to get use to, so i dontknow we might go with hondata too, but like i said I DONT KNOW I WILL HAVE TO TALK TO THE TUNNER.
Thanx for all the help, i will be writing back if the dizzy srtill doesnt work. im gonna be pist bro.

ok im pist, as hell. i tried my dizzy on my friend car again, this time in my friend with a sohc stock. and it plug right with now problems just doesnt fit on motor, anyways, it Fu**** starts his car but when i put it in my boys h22 it doesnt work still, with external coil. msd, his car is original internal coil so i i did his external but maybe i wirring it wrong now, does anyone have wiring diagrams for that year prelude 1997.
im going crazy i've tried everything.

92CivicLS said:
ok good because my boy, got those same chrome headers you see on ebay, hehe, but you know its funny i think the same way about headers and just the other day one of my friends has a 2006 type s rsx and he bought comptec headers $1000 !!!! and i was like damn bro you could of bought something cheaper and i told him the same thing.
but then a while past and one of his friend has the same car, and got cheap headers and its they got the same mods, but one gets beat by like 3 cars plus so he got mad and took it to get tunned with VAFC and still same shit, gained power but still gets beat.
so he got mad and bought dc sports headers $350 race headers. and they raced again and sure enough he stayed by his door all the way. so i said to myself i wont tell anyone else what i think.
but yea he should be getting the dizzy tommorow, so hopefully it starts!!!
so i can take that car to the races soon, after we tune it. im actually looking at the hondata one of my other friends left here, and went online and i dont really like it, its complicated a little. i just need time to get use to, so i dontknow we might go with hondata too, but like i said I DONT KNOW I WILL HAVE TO TALK TO THE TUNNER.
Thanx for all the help, i will be writing back if the dizzy srtill doesnt work. im gonna be pist bro.

usuaully the header is the same. same diameter and lenght. its the collector that is the weakness on the cheap ones. they will make and awesome header and a smalle collector. usually u will just have to modify, i.e., cut and weld on, and bigger one. we did this to a megan header on my boys h22 in his accord and i had to to my b18 in my civic. works well.

let me ask my boy for u. we did a auto-mani h22 swap in his accord last year. he has ran into every problem in the book in the last year. see what he thinks. i know we had a hella of a time with his distr. once. but it was the ignitor that went twice. he even went through a new jdm dizzy once i beieve

ok guys this is going to be the most dumbest thing you guys have ever heard happen.
well as you all been reading, is not my car, is my boys accord, i got one 2 but 1992. anyways. my shit is OBD1 i dont need the crank angle sensor, to be hooked up because the dizzy reads it, for OBD1, and OBD2 civic and integras,
but when it comes to accords the dizzy doesnt haven that shit, in it. it has it on the crank so me thinking it doesnt need it.
when i was doing the timming belt, i took it off saying hey OBD1 dont read this shit, let me take it off.
wrong!!!! it needs it totaly, i put it back on anf vvrroooom it started.
so now this is my setup if you guys want to know. the owner will be posting in about 2 or 3 weeks, the dyno sheets, for everyone to see.
set up is 1996 accord, auto, converted to stick, with h23 tranny inserts front and back, balance shaft belt removed lightweght flywheel, XTD clutch (ebay) stage 3.
ebay headers. wrapped up. 2& 1/2 inch piping. intake. 450cc injectors with p28 chipped and dyno tunned.
right now it has 450cc injectors, on a AFC with p13 jdm ecu, using AFC to control injectors. i little big for factory ecu.
then after its done tunning, NOS 75 shots, for now, and in the near future, 100 shots direct.

Back