H22a4 or h22a?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im planning on swapping out my f22a engine out for an h22a...which should i buy? the h22a? could i use my ecu and just wire vtec?
or if i get the h22a4 with the obd 2 ecu would that work too? they both have around the same km's on it.
Just wondering which would be easier?

no... ur swamping from a f series to a h series. use common scene. u need a entire working h22 engine including wiring harness and ecu among with other little things.

as for chosing an actual h22 model al depends on ur pockets, h22a4 will be cheaper but guaranteed more miles. h22a can be about the same price as h22a4 if u get OBD1, if u want obd2 its bout double the obd1

how would u even wire a vtec into ur old ecu? are u planning on cutting it up so u can run wires to the board and have nothing to plug in to?

and also i didn't see the same KMs part on ur post. So if they both have same KMs then u have to think what u want to do with the engine. h22a has better compression. h22a4 will be an easier swap. if ur planing on tuning it u will need an after market ecu for an OBD2 engine. but an OBD1 can be tuned

so you cant use the wiring harness from the f series?
both i cant get for the same price, im just wondering what would be an easier swap? i will need a new ecu anyways right?

no... ur swamping from a f series to a h series. use common scene. u need a entire working h22 engine including wiring harness and ecu among with other little things.

How about YOU use common sense (not "scene"). Some Accords were equipped with VTEC. In that case, it's fairly easy to use the Accord's harness. Also, adding VTEC wiring to an existing harness isn't exactly difficult...

as for chosing an actual h22 model al depends on ur pockets, h22a4 will be cheaper but guaranteed more miles. h22a can be about the same price as h22a4 if u get OBD1, if u want obd2 its bout double the obd1

Why would an H22A4 have more miles or be cheaper? H22A4s came in the 97-01 Preludes, whereas the H22A is the designation for JDM engines, so an H22A could be anything from 92-01, so it could be cheaper or more expensive depending on a lot of factors (age, mileage, condition, etc.)...

how would u even wire a vtec into ur old ecu? are u planning on cutting it up so u can run wires to the board and have nothing to plug in to? and also i didn't see the same KMs part on ur post. So if they both have same KMs then u have to think what u want to do with the engine. h22a has better compression. h22a4 will be an easier swap. if ur planing on tuning it u will need an after market ecu for an OBD2 engine. but an OBD1 can be tuned

Why would the A4 be an easier swap?

Last edited:
so i can or cant use the harness from my f22a, i think im going to pick up a h22a (JDM) with a manual ecu which should have vtec in it already.
and ya i thought you could use any ecu just have to wire in vtec, im just trying to avoid it.

so i can or cant use the harness from my f22a, i think im going to pick up a h22a (JDM) with a manual ecu which should have vtec in it already.
and ya i thought you could use any ecu just have to wire in vtec, im just trying to avoid it.

If you don't feel confident wiring in VTEC then you should probably get an H22 harness. What car exactly is this going into?

its just 2 wires isn't it? and im pretty sure i have to also wire a knock sensor and an IAB (not sure what that is) does anyone know how to wire all 3 of these. Its going into a 92 prelude. Ill be getting an ecu from a 95 so that will still be obd 1 right?

How about YOU use common sense (not "scene"). Some Accords were equipped with VTEC. In that case, it's fairly easy to use the Accord's harness. Also, adding VTEC wiring to an existing harness isn't exactly difficult...

Why would an H22A4 have more miles or be cheaper? H22A4s came in the 97-01 Preludes, whereas the H22A is the designation for JDM engines, so an H22A could be anything from 92-01, so it could be cheaper or more expensive depending on a lot of factors (age, mileage, condition, etc.)...

and also i didn't see the same KMs part on ur post. So if they both have same KMs then u have to think what u want to do with the engine. h22a has better compression. h22a4 will be an easier swap. if ur planing on tuning it u will need an after market ecu for an OBD2 engine. but an OBD1 can be tuned

Why would the A4 be an easier swap?[/QUOTE]

my bad i didnt know u were with the grammar patrol.

Did your car come with Vtec? and a ECU that can hook up to a H22? Have you ever tried plugging in a mouse into a microwave?

A h22a4 will be cheaper because it is already in the U.S. and there are more available. JDM parts are expensive . if you dont believe me... let me help you look for some JDM engines Let me google that for you. A h22a is OBD1 and OBD2. OBD2 is 1997-2001. Most JDM motors come with around 35k because that is the law in Japan. ~35k you swap engine or find yourself a new car, as where in the U.S. (h22a4) it could have 200k.
Because the H22a4 will be almost a perfect drop in and play and you can get away with short cuts. The h22a has a few differences which became pain in the ass. Also u could have a h22a be as almost as easy as a h22a4 swap, but u need no get everything from the ECU to the harness, without it being cut at all. And look around for a whole package ul see the prices.
And if you are planning on rebuilding and going for boost or anything then h22a or h22a4 will not matter because it will end up being the same.

AND JDM H22A is something like the 6th most used engine for swaps. Another factor for more $$$$

did i miss anything?

dude stop saying whats more expensive or cheaper, i can get both for the same price and thats not what im even asking...i know the jdm h22a will just pop right in im just unsure about the wiring and i dont think i will be able to find a wiring harness so i will have to use the one in my current car.
Im going to get the jdm h22a cuz the guys sellin me the ecu with it (no wiring harness) and it only has 60 xxx km's

my bad i didnt know u were with the grammar patrol.

That wasn't grammar, that was just flat out using the word...

Did your car come with Vtec? and a ECU that can hook up to a H22? Have you ever tried plugging in a mouse into a microwave?

Yes, my 94 Accord (both of them actually) came with VTEC. As for the ECU, when did I say to use the Accord one? No, obviously you'd use the Prelude ECU or another ECU that's been chipped and tuned to run an H22, but if we're talking same OBD between the engine and the chassis then it's not difficult to make an H22 swap work using the Accord's harness.

If you want it plug n' play, then get the Prelude harness. If you can handle some elementary wiring, then the Accord harness will suffice...

A h22a4 will be cheaper because it is already in the U.S. and there are more available. JDM parts are expensive. if you dont believe me... let me help you look for some JDM engines Let me google that for you.

No, it won't necessarily be cheaper. And yes, I'm well aware of how to use Google. Thank you for that worthless link that tells me nothing specific. Now here's some specific links to prove MY point:

Complete JDM H22A swap for $2,200: http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30017

Complete JDM H22A swap for $1,300: Tiger Japanese Auto Parts LTD - H22A OBD1 DOHC VTEC Engine 5 Speed Transmission 92-95

Complete JDM H22A with LSD tranny for $2,200: Tiger Japanese Auto Parts LTD - H22A OBD1 DOHC VTEC Engine 5 Speed Transmission 92-95

And keep in mind that these are for engines that have low mileage (like you said, around 30K), and have been quality inspected and are ready to swap in. Show me a complete H22A4 swap that includes transmission and everything else you need to drop it in that's in good condition with 30K miles and then I'll believe you...

A h22a is OBD1 and OBD2. OBD2 is 1997-2001.

Yes, I believe I already explained all of that, but thanks for the refresher...

Most JDM motors come with around 35k because that is the law in Japan. ~35k you swap engine or find yourself a new car, as where in the U.S. (h22a4) it could have 200k.

Exactly, so maybe it's a better idea to purchase a low mileage JDM engine that's ready to swap in rather then some 100K H22A4 that's been beat on, right?

Because the H22a4 will be almost a perfect drop in and play and you can get away with short cuts.

It won't be plug n' play if it's going in to an OBD1 chassis, which, in the case of this thread, IT IS!

The h22a has a few differences which became pain in the ass.

Such as?

Also u could have a h22a be as almost as easy as a h22a4 swap, but u need no get everything from the ECU to the harness, without it being cut at all. And look around for a whole package ul see the prices.

No, you can modify a USDM harness and make it work...

And if you are planning on rebuilding and going for boost or anything then h22a or h22a4 will not matter because it will end up being the same.

This is the one thing you said that I wholeheartedly agree with...

AND JDM H22A is something like the 6th most used engine for swaps. Another factor for more $$$$

According to who? Sounds like a statistic that you pulled out of your ass...

Look the jdm h22a swap should come with a harness ecu tranny and a few other things. Get one that is a full swap. I would keep the oem harness but that is just me. The jdm h22a is better than h22a4. By better i mean more power. So even if you boost i would say go with the h22a. I have a 92 prelude with a jdmh22a and its boosted i got about 500hp give or take. I have rebuilt it twice the second time i did it right.

alright well i just picked up my jdm h22a long block no tranny. Im going to bolt up my f series tranny. it just came with the p13 so no wiring harness. So im trying to figure out what im going to have to change or add to make the swap work with the harness i have. Any help is very appreciated!

Back