H22a4 Type-S swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1994HondaAccordEX

This guy said he can give me his h22a4 Type-S for the low low price than imaginable. However, I have couple of questions:

1. Is it good for turbo later on - 1 yr later with engine rebuild? The motor only have about 10K+ miles on it. Since the type S motor already has good rod, piston, etc. I'd ONLY need to resleeve + thicker headgasket wouldn't I?

2. I'm restricted to use auto tranny (I know it sux but due to many reasons), will the auto tranny of the other h22s be BOLT ON for this one - without any problems? I'd also need the H22 TCU, but from the auto or manual? If that tranny has Shifttronic or whatever, what can I do to to have that feature on the accord. The thing is that this motor i'm getting is manual, and another guy i know having the h22a4 with auto tranny. So we're gonna swap trannies, NOT motor.

3. I heard that it comes with cheap version of LSD, or some actually comes with real LSD :dunno:, can I use that in conjunction with the auto tranny from another h22a4?

4. Since my accord is OBDI, besidese the parts listed on the swap guide (originalte from h22a.org) what else would I need to make this a complete swap?

any other comments and suggestions are welcome.

Again, i know it sux having an auto, but i'll beef it up later on, hopefully to be something different. Already planned on level10 PTS tranny rebuild kit and PTS torque converter kit.

thanks everyone.

the type -s has 11:1 compression , you would want to change out the pistons anyways for turbo. The type-s is just a slightly better n/a engine than the other h22's. If you go turbo and do all the necessary internal work it wont really be a type-s anymore.

:werd:
and the fifth gen tranny is supposed to suck donkey balls.

It's a great NA motor stock, but if I were to turbo, I'd build the internals. This makes the extra compression unusable. The slightly higher flow rate would be negligable in a turbo setup.

BTW, an automatic has a TCU, a manual does not.

You have a 94 Accord.

You are OBD1, stay that way. You want auto? Grab a H22 Auto w/lsd, and the TCU. Build that fucker and show us the potential. Good luck.

The extra money for the Type S is not worth the money in a modified setup.

Thanks everyon, I just realized about the compression, totally forgot about it. Anyways, I don't plan on turbo any soon. So i'll stick with stocks. Hopefully he'll deliver the motor tomorrow. The reason I'm getting it is because it's so cheap, cheaper than H23 **cough cough**

One more question:

Okay, i'll use the auto from the other H22. If my motor+manual tranny that comes with it has LSD on it, can I use my LSD with the other auto tranny? I'm not famliar with these stuff, LSD is just LSD right? doesn't matter wherether it's on a manual or auto? I can just take my motor + the LSD it comes with and use it with the auto tranny from the other car?

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@May 15 2004, 12:11 PM
you know how to identify a type-s from a regular h22a right?

by external appearance: red valvecover

what else can I look for externally to make sure it's a type-S without praying it open to know?

intake manifold is differant, shorter runners no IAB's like the Euro-R Accord. Make sure the block doesnt say H22a4 lol

thanks everyone, what else would I need from his prelude in order to complete the swap? He said he took most of the stuff out already, the motor should be out sometimes next weekend when he has time.

Ummm yeah, as someone mentioned above, don't get the Prelude Type S confused with the Prelude Type SH.

The Prelude Type S (engine code H22A) is a 220 hp JDM-only engine, with beefed up cams, intake manifold and pistons.

The Prelude Type SH (engine code H22A4) is an engine no different from a base model 5th-gen Prelude. It's 195 horsepower, with nothing special about it.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 17 2004, 10:19 AM
Ummm yeah, as someone mentioned above, don't get the Prelude Type S confused with the Prelude Type SH.

The Prelude Type S (engine code H22A) is a 220 hp JDM-only engine, with beefed up cams, intake manifold and pistons.

The Prelude Type SH (engine code H22A4) is an engine no different from a base model 5th-gen Prelude. It's 195 horsepower, with nothing special about it.

Thanks dohcvtec_accord, you really cleared up the differences.

So now I know that I'm getting the SH instead. I was a tad bit confused when H22adesol said that make sure it doesn't say h22a4. I was sure it's the USDM version H22a4, but then never realize that it's type SH, i guess I was too overexcited and didn't notice. He said it's the type S with Red valve cover, but the car is USDM, so I guess that that guy weren't stupid enough to go and swap his brand new motor for a JDM type S. Must have been some minor cosmetic touch up or something.

So yea, it's just a plain old h22a4 usdm version from an SH. And it doesn't come with LSD right? just to make sure.

oh well, the guy hasn't call me yet, he did leave a message saying to wait for him a while, he has family problem and stuff. Hopefully thing'll go through smoothly and i'd be able to get that complete swap. In the mean time, I'll go and reasearch more about the swap to save myself some troubles later on.

Thank everyone again.

The other thing you can check, as someone listed above, is whether the intake manifold has secondary intake runners. If it does, it's certainly not a Type S.

I'm 99.9% sure that the Type S engine code is H22A. You could check with one of the major engine importers (like hmotorsonline.com) to verify.

But it sounds like someone is trying to scam you by installing a red valve cover on a USDM engine.

Some H22A4's came with an ATTS-equipped transmission. It simulates an LSD, but it's nowhere near an LSD in terms of performance. Plus, it's a bitch to make it work in a non-ATTS car.

Type-S = JDM H22A w/red valve cover, shorter intake manifold. OBD-2 ONLY!

H22A4 = OBD-2 USDM TYPE-SH... DO NOT BUY THIS MOTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE A PRELUDE SH SHELL. This motor is absolutely worthless. You can only fit in another car with extensive fabrication, including but not limited to: shaving the block, getting another transmission etc..)

If you're going to turbo, you have to build the bottom end (if you want it to last). I would stay the hell away from the type-s as you'd only be wasting your money.

Type-s is good for NA applications (especially if you're not going to do much more to the engine)....

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@May 17 2004, 03:03 PM
Type-S = JDM H22A w/red valve cover, shorter intake manifold. OBD-2 ONLY!

H22A4 = OBD-2 USDM TYPE-SH... DO NOT BUY THIS MOTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE A PRELUDE SH SHELL. This motor is absolutely worthless. You can only fit in another car with extensive fabrication, including but not limited to: shaving the block, getting another transmission etc..)

If you're going to turbo, you have to build the bottom end (if you want it to last). I would stay the hell away from the type-s as you'd only be wasting your money.

Type-s is good for NA applications (especially if you're not going to do much more to the engine)....

I'm pretty sure it's the H22a4 USDM version.

So you're suggesting that I shouldn't get it for my 94 accord? It won't be a drop in like other previous version? I thought that it would. Not even if it cost 600 + labor? Plus it's low milage too, ~ 10K+

Plus, I plan to go FI later on too. :( what to do

No, as sleepn_accord said, in order to get a Type-SH H22A4 into any car EXCEPT a Prelude Type-SH, you've got to do ALOT of work. A normal, non-ATTS H22A4 would work if you converted OBD's, but even then it's more work than you need.

Just start looking for a JDM OBD1 H22A. Cheaper in the long run, and almost a direct drop-in.

I know that it would be easier for a OBD1 H22a, but this motor is so cheap, only 600 bucks for a complete swap. Since this h22a4 type-SH comes with ATTS and MANUAL tranny, can I use the this motor and its ATTS with the AUTO tranny from the other H22?

The whole ATTS bullshit is integral with the manual tranny. I really don't know how easy it would be to bolt on an auto tranny.

Why is this guy selling it for so damn cheap? I'd be wary....

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 18 2004, 09:56 AM
Why is this guy selling it for so damn cheap? I'd be wary....

I don't know, someone rearended him pretty bad, he went to hostpital and sued that drunk driver. He got the new evo. Now just want to make some quick cash with his lude. At least that's what he told me.

I reiterate:

THAT MOTOR IS WORTH EXACTLY...................0!

The ATTS is integrated into the tranny... HOWEVER, the block is also different from regular h-series blocks.

Don't buy it if you don't have a TYPE-SH shell. TRUST ME.

You cant just bolt on another H22 tranny?

I'm asking cuzz someone gave me an H22a4 block and head. No intake mani, no header, no tranny. I was gonna build it up, but if you're saying I cant put on a different tranny....

Are the bolts in a different location or something? Can't I just run it off an OBD1 ecu?

Thanks for your help!!

Back