H22A4 type sh in a 6g civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SiKoNe

I dont know alot at the moment which might prove it self. I bought a 97 honda civic with a blown sohc non vtec for $1000 at a repo auction. It is in cherry condition but needs a motor. I found a h22a4 type sh with everything i need for a swap for $850 is this a good swap to make this thing haul some @ss. i dont know anything on motors but let me know what you think. :shrug2:

:imgone: , sorry i had to literally move to read the whole post.

do u know where the "caps lock" key is?
--------

I dont know alot at the moment which might prove it self.

get someone who knows, so you dont get ripped off.

later

If i could get a H22 type S for $850 i would walk to the moon to get it. Anywayz, im sure ur not getting everything for a swap considering you would needs mounts, linkage, customized harness, and so on. Get a B16 installed and you'll be good, but if u could get a H22 that would be better to "Haul Ass"

As far as I know, making an SH engine work in anything except a Prelude Type SH is tough. Has to do with getting the ATTS system to work and finding the correct combination of axles & halfshaft to use.

Originally posted by MXDesa@Nov 21 2003, 04:32 PM
If i could get a H22 type S for $850 i would walk to the moon to get it.

The H22A4 is not a Type S engine. The Base Model Prelude and the Type SH Prelude have the exact same engine. The Type S engine came in JDM Preludes only.

the type SH is the "top" american model.... it comes with ATTS.... its little more than some second rate traction control bullshit... it requires a shit load of wiring and doesnt really do much if anything for performance (learning how to drive > traction control)

so basicly if your gunna get the SH... just save a few bucks and get the regular H22

Well a little update for you all. It was a h22a4 type sh, therefore it does have the ATTS. I read up on that motor a little more and found out that it is the Worst motor of the h22a to do a swap involving heavy motor upgrading. Just cause evidently if you put to much power to it the ATTS kicks in and you dont get the power to the ground causeing traction control that you dont need if you know how to drive. Thanks for all the help guys and the search for a swap continues :angry:

Originally posted by SiKoNe@Nov 29 2003, 07:12 PM
Well a little update for you all. It was a h22a4 type sh, therefore it does have the ATTS. I read up on that motor a little more and found out that it is the Worst motor of the h22a to do a swap involving heavy motor upgrading. Just cause evidently if you put to much power to it the ATTS kicks in and you dont get the power to the ground causeing traction control that you dont need if you know how to drive. Thanks for all the help guys and the search for a swap continues :angry:

Yo can Get a nice B16 swap, its simple, not to expensive and you will be happy with it ;)

i'll quote this from www.sportcompactcarweb.com
"The only H22 to avoid is from the Type SH Prelude. The brilliant torque distribution system (an electronically controlled box of clutches bolted to the block that Honda calls ATTS) replaces the intermediate shaft and its mounting bracket. The engine and transmission code to avoid is H22A4 and M2U4, respectively. Again, when someone actually swaps this in functionally, let us know."

And there you have it in a nutshell heres the link to read in full
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0311scc_hybrid/

Just get the BASE PRELUDE...H22A..because TYPE SH has the ATTS shit...and i also heard that SH aftermarket isnt so great...a dude that had a 97 coupe with a H22A motor with an intake ran 14.2's...not bad...you would have traction problems if it was in an EG or maybe an EK(maybe).

Let me correct a few of the above claims....

- The Base Prelude and Type SH Prelude both were equipped with the H22A4. The same engine. The only way to tell the difference between the two is to either look at the tranny, or look at the back of the block where the unique halfshaft of the ATTS unit bolts up.

- The aftermarket support for the Type SH is exactly the same as the Base, and for any other H22A for that matter. There may be some slight differences in shapes and sizes of parts (example: the header), but finding parts for the H22A4 won't be any more difficult than with any other H22A.

so basically i could go with the type sh since its the same as the base, just change out the tranny and i won't have the ATTS right?

Well, the bolt pattern on the block for the halfshaft is different as well, so you'd have to do some (alot) custom fitting to get a non-SH halfshaft to work.

Bottom line, stay away from the Type SH.

BASE PRELUDE is the way to go ...trust me...Alot of people swapped the base because its not a pain in the ass to do the fittings and wirings...with the ATTS crap

Back