H23 block with H22 head!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

??? ...did you REALLY look up the definition of geometry?

I never said anything about it not being geometry... What are you talking about? I'm asking for the FORMULA for finding out the compression of a cylinder... <_<

Doesn't that sound relevant to engine design... :roll:

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Nov 28 2004, 08:33 PM-->
Originally posted by nismogod@Nov 28 2004, 08:03 PM
if you notice, the h23 has more torque. because of its longer stroke.

if you do this build....get the H23 crank, h22 rods, h22 Type-s pistons and be done with it.  thats the revs from the h22 head, the longer stroke, the longer rods and taller pistons. all kinds of compression. lol.
[post=423404]Quoted post[/post]​

K2e2vin
@Nov 28 2004, 03:39 PM
simple; h22=vtec and 200hp, h23=non-vtec and 160hp.  also theres geometry, the h22 is built to rev higher then the h23; more revs with torque=more horsepower.
[post=423278]Quoted post[/post]​

stroke, deck height, pretty much almost anything that is relevant to one another(ie, rod ratio, MEASURING COMPRESSION, ratio of rocker arms, etc.) is geometry. heres the definition of geometry: The mathematics of the properties, measurement, and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids. doesnt that sound relevant to engine design.
[post=423418]Quoted post[/post]​

correct, but my thoughts were more along the lines of "math" or "physics" rather then 1 area of either. i couldn't really call engine building "mechanical" as far as an area of physics, because then we'd be leaving out thermo, and metalergy etc.

i apologize if i seemed abrasive, i dont think common people would have associated geometry with anything much further then highschool classes.

as far as CR goes on the H-series. the h22 rods, with typeS pistons, on an h22 crank yeild 11:1 without milling the head or decking the block. you can find the compression ratio on this site somewhere, CR with the setup i said to use earlier. you should have all the info on hand; stroke of the crank, rod length and piston height. i think most of that is on here somewhere, then its "simple" math.

Originally posted by scottp11@Nov 28 2004, 08:58 PM
??? ...did you REALLY look up the definition of geometry?

I never said anything about it not being geometry... What are you talking about? I'm asking for the FORMULA for finding out the compression of a cylinder... <_<

Doesn't that sound relevant to engine design... :roll:
[post=423423]Quoted post[/post]​

Compression ratio = (displacement @ BDC)/(displacement @ TDC)

thats teh formula. lol.

How did you determine 11:1 compression? I know that displacement @ BDC divided by displacement @ TDC, but I'm looking for where do I measure from... I asked earlier about do I measure from, the crank while it's in the block w/o rods & pistons? I want to know how long my rods have to be to get the 12:1...

Didn't mean to be a dick when answering...

i knwo that the h22 crank + the h22 rods + type-s pistons yeild 11:1 because thats the compression of the type-s motor. with the h23 crank, my guess would be like 11.6:1 but i am probably off.

In your opinion, do you think it would be a good idea to use better connecting rods if I go for the 12:1 compression, or do you think the H22's will be sufficiant?

well, i think the biggest issue is pump gas vs. race gas. as far as the rods holding up, yea i think they would. i dont see it being an issue. i'd upgrade my rod bolts tho. thats just me.

oooh, I didn't think about the gas... The highest pump gas we have here in El Paso is 93 octane. What do you is the highest compression I can run on that? If I have to, I can get race gas, but...

ok, srry too take so long to reply... let me answer a few questions

A. I think my engine i will put over 300hp now with the combination of all the stuff i have now. Port/polish, cams, intake manifold, throttlebody, TURBO.
B. You don't need valvetrain upgrade, it is recommended but not required for the Crower Stage 2.
C. Why use the h23 bottomend when you can get stroker kits that go up to 2.6L for the h22? There is more parts availible for a h22's bottom end. Like the crank, connecting rods and everything is easily found while the h23 is a bit harder.
D. On the hybrid swap you are basically switching all the parts that your timing belt touches to a h22.
E. And to do the swap just to gain 100cc, and a little bit more torque. You really think its worth it? I dont anymore.

Honestly if i knew that i was going to spend this much money i would have have bought myself a Mini 500 (a 2 seater littlebird(oh-6)style helicopter)

calesta who is part of the administration on this site i belive is running somewhere around 12.8:1 compression on 93 octane in his civic....its all about the tune

lower compression means more allowable slop in tuning. that is why lower compression + more boost is easier to tune then higher comp and lower boost.

Hey, thanks!! I appriciate all the comments.

I think I'm gonna go with the stock H23 crank, maybe the H22 rods or custom rods to bring the compression up about .5, and Type S pistons. ARP bolts everywhere.

As for the head, it's at portflow now getting a full port & polish, oversized intake valves, ferrea valve springs, titanium retainers... They're just doing the machine work, but I'm gonna assemble it myself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!!!! :worthyp: :worthyp:

Back