h23 to h22 swap problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mtt1325

I just finished swapping a jdm h22 into my 93 prelude and am having issues with air flow and overheating. When the car is in neutral it revs normal, but once in gear there is hesitation in every gear, and it feels like no power is getting to the wheels. I am thinking that it has to be an air flow problem. I put a brand new ecu and AIB box and checked all the vacuum lines but I still cant figure out why it runs so poor. Also it overheats after changing the thermostat, the fans kick in, but they dont stay on long enough or something. Should I run a straight wire to keep my fans on all the time??????? Any help would be much appreciated.

You shouldn't be overheating. Water level, water pump, bad thermostat, fans. Cooling systems are usually pretty simple.

I would make your fans come on more if you overheat while moving at slow speeds. At higher speeds, wind cools your motor enough on it's own(most of the time).

When are you overheating? If the answer is all the time, then recheck your thermostat. If that is good, then take that motor to a shop. Hopefully your waterpump is good.

Last edited:
I might have a solution for you bro...

I have the exact same setup as you (H23A1 to H22A4 + JDM ECU) in my 92 SR, and I also had a bitch of a time getting it running...

I took it to a specialty garage in my area that are known for impossible swaps (I'm actually writing this from their garage as we speak), and the one thing you need to do when you put in a H22A4 is to use a BB6 (97' to 01') fuel pump. The stock BB1/BB2 fuel pump can't correctly power the H22A4 injectors, which is the source of your power loss / hesitation on any other operation other than idle.

I don't know if it'll solve your overheating problem, but this should definately work for the power loss / hesitation issue, especially if you've already confirmed your vaccum connections and hoses, and provided you are using the correct H22A1 injectors, and all your ECU wiring is correct - some of the wires in the harness need to be changed to make the P13 ECU work correctly in this car with the H22A4 swap.

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

if youre running lean, itll cause detonation, so it might be the source of your overheating. my power loss stopped after i finally got my car to start again (i replaced my fuel pump, main relay and fixed the timing) I no longer had a power problem and the over heating thing went away. I also have self switched fans that help with the problem.

id check your timing also man.. off timing could cause a bad flow of coolant also id check if that new thermostat is acutally opening when it needs to. if fir some reason its defective or its only opening at a higher temp then the car is going to run hot or overheat.

H23 to H22A4 swap code 1 light on problem

I did the same swap H23 to H22A4 with JDM (SR-V) automatic ECU, H23 harness, everything is obd1. However, the H22A4 motor runs strong until the engaging in gear; when I rev the engine up around vtec kick in (5500 rpm). the engine light is on (code 1). As I know the JDMs prelude (sr-v) have two catalysts, but the North American Preludes have only one cat. therefore, I wonder if this is the problem coming out.

Please Help me to find it out , dudes !!

Many thanks !

I might have a solution for you bro...

I have the exact same setup as you (H23A1 to H22A4 + JDM ECU) in my 92 SR, and I also had a bitch of a time getting it running...

I took it to a specialty garage in my area that are known for impossible swaps (I'm actually writing this from their garage as we speak), and the one thing you need to do when you put in a H22A4 is to use a BB6 (97' to 01') fuel pump. The stock BB1/BB2 fuel pump can't correctly power the H22A4 injectors, which is the source of your power loss / hesitation on any other operation other than idle.

I don't know if it'll solve your overheating problem, but this should definately work for the power loss / hesitation issue, especially if you've already confirmed your vaccum connections and hoses, and provided you are using the correct H22A1 injectors, and all your ECU wiring is correct - some of the wires in the harness need to be changed to make the P13 ECU work correctly in this car with the H22A4 swap.

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

i think the h 22f has potential for the upcoming the molecular value has gave the bmp(blinker fluid miles per hour) a lot more the valve stem just needs to be changed because all that tork and no tooth brush the thing with all the new hondas is they got all that computer their ante much room for an engine so just go with h383 itll do you well and handles great.

Could anyone help me to find out the problem? How about you "MagMan". You seem to know this a bit more from your friends. Please give me a hand if you can.

Thanks

might be kinda late on this post but did u check your headgasket, and which 1 did u use? the h23 and h22 headgaskets are diff.

Back