H23 turbo, dsm parts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96prelude

ok, i already know that i can use the exhast manifold, and 44o injectors.

my questions have to due with the turbo and tuning.

1. the turbo. no one really seams to know how much psi the 14b puts out. i have heard anywhere from 7 to 12. i really need to know what it actually puts out so that that i can plan my build. i don't reeally have the money to build the bottom end so i guess i'm looking at a max psi of 6-8.

2. ok the tuning. i don't want to go the route of the hack, and hondata and aem are too much money, so it looks like uberdata or crome.
ok so these require that i switch to obd1. this presents several questions.
A. what ecu do i run?
B. the chipping process is very unfamiliar to me so i'll need a basemap?
C. will my map sensor work or will i have to get a gm 3 bar

thanks in advance for the info.

-km

first off, www.dsmtuners.com is a great place to buy anything from a DSM car! ur turbo or manifold and injectors! its a great site..u'll learn something to! As for the 14b turbo stock psi is between 8-9 psi! the lowest you can run on a 14b turbo is 7psi! And the maxium amount of boost through a 14b 16-17 psi on pump. If you have a modded sidemount, 18 psi. Front mount with 550 injectors and a AFC, 20 psi max. At 20 psi, expect the life of the turbo to decrease and porting is recommended. I would rather upgrade the turbo than run a 14b at 20 psi though. Thats just my .02 for the day! hope some of this helps you!

1.The wastegate actuator on your average dsm 14b is set at 8psi. "but a 14b is to small for an h23. If your going dsm use a 16g." but hey if thats all you got it's all you got. it's gonna build boost real quick and fall of at high rpm's

2. Switching to obd1 is easy just buy a conversion harness. it plugs into your stock obd2 harnes on one end and obd1 on the other that side plugs into your chipped obd1 ecu.
A. you can use a p06 ecu from a 92-95 civic. you can find a conversion harness at [url]www.xenocron.com[/url]

B. Yes you will need a basemap chip so you can get the car to a tuner after you do the install. Before you take the car to a tuner make sure everything is mechanicaly sound NO check engine light. no boost leaks and good brakes & tires.
To street tune a car you have to drive really fast doing third and fourth gear pulls.Usaully on straights on narrow backroad to avoid johnny law :ph34r:
So make sure the car drives nice.

C.The stock honda map sensor is fine for your goals it reads up to around 11psi. Well within your 8psi plans. GM sensors are glitchy inconsistant and generally harder to tune with anyway. Motorola 2.5 bar sensors are a much better part. imo if you ever decide to build the bottom end and up the boost. :D

Last edited:
Yes a p05 will work. Um I'm not sure about the 16g I think it's 8psi as well. The dsms they came off of have an electronic boost controller. with the controler it goes up to 11 psi or so and with out thier like 8,,,,I think?

Yes a p05 will work. Um I'm not sure about the 16g I think it's 8psi as well. The dsms they came off of have an electronic boost controller. with the controler it goes up to 11 psi or so and with out thier like 8,,,,I think?

14b's and 16g's all have 8 psi springs.

16G is more like 12psi or higher for the base spring rate on the wastegate.

I have the 16G on my Accord, it holds to redline but starts blowing more heat then anything up top. I usually shift right at 6K to minimize it, no need to run all thru the rev range with a turbo car rly.

I have a DSM mani modified with a Big 16G and all the piping and crap too for sale. PM if you're interested.

Back