1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h23 vs f22 question

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by philyphreak2127, Jan 15, 2008.

1. philyphreak2127

philyphreak2127 Back in the Game

I have a friend who is swapping an h23 into his accord after blowing his f22 motor. The h23 motor was bought without head studs in it or so I told him. He says they are called head bolts if they are oem and head studs if aftermarket. Is this true? I'm a pretty sure I am right on this one but I could be wrong and I figured I would ask you guys to figure out whats what. Isn't a head bolt a totally different bolt? and how many head studs are there in the h23 and f22?

2. dtob

dtob New Member

Yes bolts are just that bolts. Studs thread in and a nut is screwed onto it.

Stock a bolt is used, people use studs when building a motor because they are stronger, can be torqued down more and resist head lift more. They are not needed on a stock motor but can be helpful when building a boosted, high compression, or nitrous setup.

3. philyphreak2127

philyphreak2127 Back in the Game

how many bolts/studs go into these motors? I have heard a few different numbers, I haven't ever messed with a dohc motor. I have arp studs in my d16y8 in my civic though.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted