h23 vs f22b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ludecrasy87

What is the advantage between the two?
Especially if planning the turbo down the road, ive been reading threads that is best to keep f22b2 tranny. Like for me i bought my h22a and i sold it due to my friend needed an engine and paid me double than what i paid for. So with the extra dough im plannin to boost

there pretty much the same engine they both have 160hp but the h23 has slightly high torque rated at 156ft/lbs and the f22b has slightly higher compresson which is 9.3:1 if you got any one of these 2 id say go for the f22b cause itll have alot less miles:D

alright the f22b vtec has only 140 hp . comp ratio is 8.8:1 which is ideal for boost application. also the f series has cast iron sleeves. ready for forged internals. and a low milage f22 will hold 14 psi on a tuned motor. the down side to the f series is a sohc head which doesnt allow for a fine tunning. also there quite expensive to build.

the h23 block isnt as strong as the f series motor due to weak internals and alloy sleeves . Comp ratio is alot higher, dont qoute me but i think there comp ratio is 10.8:1 which is to high for boost. and boosting these motors are not a good thiing without sleeving the block first , Which will run you 1000 or more. the upside of the h23 is the dohc head that allows more tuning especailly for boosting. and h23 heads are stronger than vtec head on the f22b.

which is ideal for the f22 motor is make a hybrid by take in the f22 block and puting the h23 head on it. then boosting the motor. with 14 psi and a dyno tune youll see 250hp.

f series transmission have a wider gear ratio. h series transmissions a closer gear ratio allowing for quicker acceleration. the best transmission option is to get the interga b series transmission. just need the adapter plate.

Last edited:
well the f22b is Dohc, like its non vtec.
Will i be able to use the ECU out of my 96 LX?

if you have a head from a acura cl 2.3 or oddessy 2.3 from the f series motor you will still have to change your ecu. your ecu is vtec know. youll need the ecu from the vechile that the head was pulled from, or any other vechile like it .

Im in a similar situation. I have f22b engine needs heads. I have most of an h23 head and im told thats the way to go. but is it better than the f22b dohc vtec? Im goin turbo also.

Im in a similar situation. I have f22b engine needs heads. I have most of an h23 head and im told thats the way to go. but is it better than the f22b dohc vtec? Im goin turbo also.
the accord never came with a f22 dohc, start researching and reading alot, and this thred is way old

There is no such thing as a dual-cam F22B with VTEC. That motor would be called an H22...

Now if that was a typo and you're talking about the non-VTEC dual-cam F22, then yeah, the H23 Prelude head is essentially the exact same thing, so it would be a suitable replacement.

Oh, and like AHHVTEC said, start a new thread if you have a question. Don't bring old shit back from the dead...

Back