H23A1 Buildup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ricerocket24

Hey ive got a 94 Accord with the stock F22B2 motor in it but im planning to build up my H23A1 that i have laying around. Im wondering if it will bolt to the stock tranny or if a different tranny will be needed. Im also planning on a turbo install. Will a performance rebuild kit (pistions, rings, bearings, etc.) provide the needed strength for the boost? Im such a noob at this motor swap thing so i needed some tech info...thanks.

yes the tranny will work. If you use anything but stock pistons in you will need to resleeve the block. Otherwise you should be in a good starting spot.

PS...my girl friend calls my car a rice rocket too....im starting to like the term.

Hey i was just wondering about the ECU once the motors have been swapped. Will i need to convert ECUs also? When i was looking at parts for the H23A1 i noticed a VTEC conversion kit. Would this be beneficial or is it just 200 bucks down the drain for a small gain in power? Help me out thanks!

yeah...p14s are kinda rare. if phillip didnt chunk it when he moved, he has one (my old one...didnt know what i was getting rid of).

he might be willing to sell to you, but im not sure if he will ship or anything.

A better idea would be to get a p28 or p72 and chip to use crome (or if you want to pay for tuning software get hondata). Then just tune your car...your going to turbo anyway and a p14 wont do you any good.

http://www.intercrew-racing.com

Sorry this is the last one, but considering im planning a turbo install, i shouldnt worry too much about a compatable ECU because im gonna need the motor tuned after the rebuild? I checked out that link and i read about the ECUs and Hondata, what would u recommend for my build? What do u think about the whole VTEC conversion idea? Is it pointless or is there benefits? Thanks for your help man...would have been up a creek!

well you should worry about a compatable ECU...a P28 or a P72 with crome is a LOT cheaper than any standalone system, and if you get a piggyback (VAFC/E-manage) i will come track you down and beat the ever living shit outa you (unless you live in dallas...in that case, just give me a call when your new engine explodes...ill build ya a new one).

Id recommend getting a P72, crome pro (spend a lil extra cash to get the ease of real time datalogging) setting up a base map, street tuning it, and then taking it to get dyno tuned ASAP.

If youve got an H23 you might as well keep it the way it is and build up from there. The H23 head has a unique quality...its extremely similar to a 4g63 head in exhaust design (meaning you can steal a turbo manifold from an eclipse gst/x or a talon tsi), and that similarity will save you a bit of cash. Also with the H23, you can basically take an entire eclipse turbo setup (dont forget the injectors), replace charge piping and get a FMIC. Call it a done build. Good luck.

Back