h23a1/h22 vtec head swap q?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dubgkizzle

This question has probably been covered before but im new to this site. I have a 92 prelude si with an h23a1 engine and would like to vtec it. does anyone know if it matters what year range h22 head to use? i found a h22 vtec head from a 98 prelude. I guess what im asking is...can i use a 98 h22vtec head on my 92 h23 block and run it with the obd1 electrical components?

obd1 and obd2 electronics aren't compatible as far as i know. you'd have to get a vtec head, distributor, and p13 ecu from an obd1 prelude. i'm not sure how well the frankenstine motor would run, i've heard mixed things about it. some people say its not reliable, but i've also heard people say they've had no problems with it. if youre just looking for vtec i'd say just do an h22 engine swap, but if youre willing to spend some cash and want more power i'd just turbo the h23.

but if you wanted to attempt at the h22/h23 motor- the head, distributor, and p13 ecu would have to be from a 92-96 prelude

i found out that the h22vtec heads are all the same internally and externally...but you are right i would have to find the obd1 distributor, and ecu. what im trying to do is build an h23vtec instead of spending 2 grand on an already produced jdm h23vtec.I like my h23 over the h22 cause of the longer stroke...my stock h23 pulls from a stock h22vtec so i wanna stay with the 2.3,fully sleeve it, vtec it and then boost it and have it tuned. I wanna build it right the first time, thats why im here.

alright. yeah i wasn't sure if the heads were the same all the years. i'm sure everything will work out fine if you do it right. good luck!

its gonna take me a while to get it done,still tryin to do as much research as i can to get it all to work,minor things like which manifolds to use and timing belt...little things like that. i have a friend that has done many b18 and b16 builds,so i know about running the vtec oil lines externally and wiring in the vtec. im not really getting much help from the engine building forum yet,but imnew around here so illprobably be ignored or bashed alot for a while...but i guess thats how it is as a "greenhorn" around here. lol

yeah i just joined a few days ago too haha. let me know how it turns out bro i'd like to know. i was thinking about doing the same thing to mine eventually once i get everything else i'm trying to do up and running

Why not buy a h22 you can get just the engine for 1000 bucks or less and you've gone from 160hp to 200hp.

Plus then your block will say H22. :)

i like the longer stroke the h23 block has and it has a slightly lower compression ratio wich would be better for boosting right? I debated with myself for a while about an h22 and even though i work for the salvage yards,its a hard motor for me to find in my price range at the moment. I bought a complete jdm h22vtec head(65k mi,solonoid and all) for 200 bucks and i already have the h23 motor,so i figured why not try...not many could say they have a built h23vtec but h22vtecs are all over the road.

I have heard you have to redrill oil passages when doing this head swap. I had planned on building the same motor. Bought the h23 and everything.

Hi .I have a Honda accord coupe f22b5. I have swap h22a8 (european h22a)from Honda Prelude V.
I want to SWAP preluda engine to accord and I need little help.
Information,links, pics and describes about SWAP is needed
I'd like to hear some comments from people who made it (not people who think about it)

hey buddy there are two things you need to do before you get help on this site...first search for the topic on the site yourself. It has probably been covered quite a bit, and start your own thread. Then I am sure people will help you.

i like the longer stroke the h23 block has and it has a slightly lower compression ratio wich would be better for boosting right? I debated with myself for a while about an h22 and even though i work for the salvage yards,its a hard motor for me to find in my price range at the moment. I bought a complete jdm h22vtec head(65k mi,solonoid and all) for 200 bucks and i already have the h23 motor,so i figured why not try...not many could say they have a built h23vtec but h22vtecs are all over the road.

Go for it and good luck.^_^

my buddy used an f22 block with an h23 head that thing pulled pretty hard considering no vtec, a lame short ram, and a ghetto ass cat back exhaust.

well,at this point i need to locate the external vtec oil line kit and then my h22vtec head is headed to an engine building/machine shop to have the vtec oil hole "plugged" and the oil ports matched up. only gonna run me 50 bucks to have the head done right. Thanx everyone for all the input so far. ill keep posted.

Back