H23vtec build plans.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bjfisher

well i'm currently getting ready to start purchase things for my h23vtec build at the end of feb.i'm looking for opinions on my desired setup as of right now, and would like to know what you think i should change if anything.my plans are to have a streetable race car, i will first do everything to complete the vtec conversion,build the bottom end FOR TURBO, drop the motor in and run it as is until i have money to get the turbo.i want to go ahead and build low compression and whatnot for the turbo app even tho i will be turbo-less at the beginning, i just dont want to build n/a now then rebuild later this year for f/i.
as of right now, after completing the vtec conversion, i will be going with the following for my setup.
(this is kind of the order also)

-H22 tranny

-CP Pistons 9:1 C/R

-Eagle H Beam Steel Rods OR Crower Econo Billet Rods ---WHICH??

-Sleeves -- Yet to be determined

-Piston rings -- WHAT KIND??

-Flywheel/Clutch

what else am i gonna need?my block is tore down to the bare block right now....any suggestions and help is great, thanks in advance

(yes i've searched and read many things)

its gonna be a pig with low comp pistons and no boost...

you can still hold decent boost with 10:1 and it won;t be a complete slut without the turbo..

and what do you mean vtec conversion? you aren;t using a non vtec h23 block are you??

what kind of block and what year?

Ummm yeah, why would you do a VTEC conversion just to turbo it? VTEC was developed to help N/A engines breathe better at higher RPM, partly by increasing valve overlap (it also increases duration). When you turbo it, you're (hopefully) just going to tune out the overlap, because it's detrimental to a turbo setup. Why not just get a set of N/A cams for your non-VTEC head that meet the duration requirements that you need?

i was kinda hoping he meant a vtec swap in his car, and not a nonvtec h23 vtec conversion...

Even so.....why pay the extra cash to start with something like a rare H23 VTEC, only to strip out the cool qualities it has for N/A (high CR, VTEC, etc)? Save a couple of thousand dollars and just use an H23A1.

i would choose a obd1 h22 over the h23...

h23's bottom ends blow and they are way too expensive for what you're getting

If your going Turbo VTEC is a waste of money in my opinion! But do as you would like! I would just rebuild the motor, then go Turbo,, Yay!@!@!

Gaaawwsshh
-Napoleon Dynamite

i'm using a h23 block (non vtec of course) and h22 head.....

i know it wont be at full potention w/9:1 cr pistons til turbo, but it wont get driven much til after turbo so i'm not concerned, i dont wanna rebuild again in a few months and i dont want 10:1 cr pistons either

and yes the overlap will be tuned out nice and smooth

btw, a BUILT H23 block is not gonna blow.....

i'm using a h23 block (non vtec of course) and h22 head.....

huge mistake

maybe its just me but i would never use an h23 bottom end for anything performance related... built or not...

dohcvtec_accord - i want a smooth transition on the dyno....

reckedracing - thanks for your opinion....i'm still doing it

Originally posted by bjfisher@Feb 1 2005, 02:52 PM
dohcvtec_accord - i want a smooth transition on the dyno....
[post=454669]Quoted post[/post]​

No no no.....I mean, why go through the trouble of putting a VTEC head on a non-VTEC block, only to tune out the characteristics that VTEC brings in the first place?

and i'm curious if you know how much this head swap will cost you...

would an h23 block not be fine if it was sleeved and shit? that's what i have and for future reference i was wondering if it'd be better to build the h23 and turbo it or swap a h22 in (built) and turbo it. i honestly don't think the h23 block is that bad.

I agree the h23 isn't a bad block at all. It all goes back to what you want to get out of your setup, what is the goal. I would turbo the h23. Save money and have a little easier time with tuning.

i'm not tuning out vtec, just making a smoother transition

yes i do know how much it costs

theres no reason a built h23 block wouldnt be fine,stock h23 wouldnt work but i'm talking about built here.

Essentially, yes you will be tuning out VTEC, if you want to be making optimum power out of that head. As I said - in part, VTEC creates more overlap, which is specifically bad for a turbo application. If the overlap gets tuned down to a almost non-VTEC level, that only leaves you with the increased lift, which is much more easily accomplished by just getting some custom cams ground to your requirements.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 2 2005, 03:56 PM
Essentially, yes you will be tuning out VTEC, if you want to be making optimum power out of that head. As I said - in part, VTEC creates more overlap, which is specifically bad for a turbo application. If the overlap gets tuned down to a almost non-VTEC level, that only leaves you with the increased lift, which is much more easily accomplished by just getting some custom cams ground to your requirements.
[post=455316]Quoted post[/post]​

alright, then i WONT tune vtec out, sorry

I think you're missing my point.

However, since you seem hell-bent on having a turbo H23/VTEC, I won't offer any more advice on that end. Good luck with your project.

Back