ha! vista sucks...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

and that's why it's a beta. xp is solid as fuck. microsoft is too smart to release a product that's inferior to what it already has on the market.

anyone remember the last BSOD theyve had?

I know i had one right when SP2 came out, but after the patch it was solid again.

I used to be a MAC lover, but XP has brought me back out of the darkness. I laugh everyday when our graphics artist comes over. I used to ask, "Mac attack", but now its self explanitory.

I still get BSOD's from time to time. Usually they are driver related.

And I wanna know some more around the back specs of vista... I wanna know if you can install a STRIPPED OUT NO FRILLS version.

Quoted post[/post]]
and that's why it's a beta. xp is solid as fuck. microsoft is too smart to release a product that's inferior to what it already has on the market.

Windows ME. Enough said.

XP is not solid. Programs crash all the time. The memory management in Windows is horrible and its SMP capabilities are far from worthwhile (with dual cores becoming the thing, this will be very important).

And how many gigs for the OS? You've got to be kidding me.

Give me a unix on a multiprocessor system. That's where the power is.

Quoted post[/post]]

hmm xp solid as fuck, that's a negative sir.

I can show you a vast amount of machines running XP that Blue Screen on a weekly basis. One for example is my POS machine at home. I'm going to have to do a fresh install on it. All it does is run basically as a server to hold my ,music/vids/and email and I have to reboot it weekly.
1.6ghz processor, with 2Gb of "Crucial" Registered ECC ram, Tyan MB etc.. good quality hardware.

Now for comparison I have a Netware server here at work with the exact duplicate specs of my home PC and it's been up and running for 300+days now. in the end XP sucks just as bad as any other windows release.

And my laptop that I got Dell inspiron 6000 Installed Kubuntu linux and the only reason it get a reboot is when I forget to recharge the battery and the system shuts down.

i dont get why people have so many problems with M$ installations.

weird thing to note is i have problems with non M$ isntallations!

sabz does have a point about ME, that was horrendous operating system.

this thread reminds me of an article in the last computor edge magazine i read, it was about the possibility of running Mac OSX on a PC... here's a quote.
Speaking from personal experience with the 20-plus XP machines I regularly maintain, it wouldn't be for stability. XP is so stable I'd have to put my computer in my car and drive it into a tree to get it to crash
not only did it crack me up... but it's exactly how i feel. i've been running XP since before it was released and it has crashed on me once. once over the last 5+ years? that's pretty damn solid if you ask me.

i don't claim to be a computer tech guru, but i do maintain the network and 12 computers where i work. there are problems, but they're not os related. xp doesn't crash, programs crash. if MS built the hardware, wrote the OS, and wrote the software (like much of apple computers) i'm sure it'd be a lot more stable.

anyways, i can't get technical about the processing power, efficiency of the code or whatever geeky stuff you want to argue about... i just know what works well for me and has been for a long time.

i can't wait for vista.

i rarely have a problem with my xp systems, but i must've fixed bill's install 7 times in the past couple years. While he's no computer guru, he knows more than the "average user" does, uses firefox, has avg for virus scanning, etc etc...

Quoted post[/post]]
i rarely have a problem with my xp systems, but i must've fixed bill's install 7 times in the past couple years. While he's no computer guru, he knows more than the "average user" does, <u><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">uses firefox</span></u>, has avg for virus scanning, etc etc...
well shit... there's your problem right durr.

the ONLY reason i have FF on my computer is because i have to test my work in it. 1/3 of internet users use firefox, so if my shit doesnt work, i might as well not do it...

i was actually being extremely sarcastic, i used to give brian shit all the time about how bad firefox sucked. but now that the web has moved so much closer to standards now, it's actually a really solid browser.

there are a ton of plug-ins out there that are a huge help to designing/coding websites. there's a view source chart that groups all your tags together to make it easy to see when one shouldn't be there or when they're straddled. there's also a validation plugin which saves a ton of time from running all your pages through the w3c validator.

i highly doubt that 1/3 of the web is on FF, i think you need to check elsewhere for your stats.

IE is still my default browser, mainly just 'cause i'm used to it. i do believe i will be moving to FF in the not too distant future though.

http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=s11hondaswap&r=13

thats where that came from. A lot of my friends use FF, so i figured it couldnt be too far off. Most of them arent too computer friendly and still they have firefox as the default browser.

When i was making computers (while i was working at kroger) firefox and AVG were standard installs for me. Everyone has a lifetime warranty and 24/7 support (via my cell phone). 3 years later i have gotten one call....to build another computer for a previous customer. I probably sold 20-25 computers in a year and a half. Thank God i live in the 'high rent district' so i could give people a good product, not some half assed attempt at something that could only hope to be a computer.

and i have just gotten so used to dreamweaver/notepad editing my sites in them has just become second nature. The boss is making me read up on PHP (hence all the free time) so its starting to look like dreamweaver is gonna die.

http://www.e-janco.com/browser.htm

marketshare is closer to 10% from most reports. HS is higher 'cause brian and all his other ct geek friends which make up most of the visits, are on FF.

yeah, kick dreamweaver to the curb. notepad is alright, but i like the text editor built into CuteFTP. it colors the tags to make them easily identifiable and also only takes two keystrokes to upload your edited page. a lot of people also like edit+ or whatever it is, same kinda deal as the editor built into cute.

<span style="visibleToB:none">php is a great language, very powerful.</span> if you have any expirence with javascript (which i know you do), you won't have a problem picking up php.

Back