Hacking Away In Fustration

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well anyway ill try the main relay for sure
i think ill do the filter anyway the car got 331,000 km on it so im sure its due
thing is i bought this d16z6 off a guy that come in to were i work and he gave me a good motor with 216,000km which is the one i put in my si and 2 other d16z6 all for $350
the one was fugded timing belt the other just burned oil
between the two i have another full motor
so rebuild
is it worth it or should i just do a b16

For a B16 you are looking more around 160whp and 111wtq but I still agree with you Blanco about the price. When it comes down to it the D16 has just as much potential as the B16. Personally I am an H series guy though. I am sort of learning some stuff about the D series from Blanco here.

Oh I thought that was actually what it was getting to the wheels. Sorry to insult your intelligence. That is very interesting though because I was thinking about doing that swap in my Del Sol but screw that.

Back to this guys problem though, it definitely sounds like a fuel pump or the fuel to me. Might want to check the filter while your at it too. Most likely if it is the pump it will need a new filter anyhow.

tried a new filter before i go and by a pump
managed to get it running but it revs to 3k then drop to 1k and so on
so i read thats a sign of a vacuum leak
we used a spray bottle of gas to get it running but it stayed running for a long time
what kind of pressure should i get out of the fuel rail if i take the return line off and try to start

well where should i start
thanks to everyone whos been nice enough to help me out
i do still have a problem
i did everything u all told me to do and still nothing
but i was looking up coversion from obd0 to obd1 and it said something about a resistor box for the injectors
problem is i cant find the thread i read that in
does this sound right
i twist the 5 wires from the box together?????????

A stock B16 puts down 135-140whp and 95wtq for about $1500 plus another $800-1000 to be able to drop it in.

My Z6 puts down 135.6whp and 111.8wtq. and cost me $1500 to build, using mostly OEM Honda parts. So, to me, the B16 swap isn't worth the money.

I wholeheartedly agree with you blanco, if I was willing to be content with 140whp. However, there are those of us that desire more, say in the ballpark of 170whp, the B-series can pull that reliably. you'd be hard pressed to get numbers like that out of a D without boosting it. then there are those who wish 220whp. those are the few who require K-series (H-series could work here too) power. A really built B could do this, but it wouldn't be very forgiving. but my point is, while cost/performance the D series does have an edge on a stock B, but those who intend to build their B, even lightly then add bolt-ons, would make more power for less money than it would take to make similar numbers in a D. all in a more reliable, more forgiving (read: doesn't blow up,) more drivable engine.

this isn't by any means an insult to your build blanco, I was very pleased with my old mini-me before she let a rod go. this is just to inform others that there are many options out there for them, they just need to set realistic goals and commit to them. my initial plan for my B was to boost it. But once it was in, the car was good, very good. I upped the compression a bit, had the head ported and dropped in some ITR cams and I loved it.

Last edited:
ya i agree its just i have 2 z6 motors and was considering
i think if i do i might sell both for a b
but until then i gotta get this little z6 running
ive done everything ive been told and nothing
i did read i have to remove the resistor box but want confimation of this
do i just tie alll the wires together
also do what do i do with the extra sensor under the dizzy

what exactly does a good builder focus on to eliminate some of that loss? :)threadjack:) <- me

:sorry: but i am curious...
my guess is,how well the parts work with each other,the right setup,the right flywheel,cutch,pressureplate,etc.

also making the motor make the most power as smooth as they can

Buy all the same shit always!!!!!!!!!

If you put any motor in a honda, make sure you always use the wireing harness, intake manifold, ECU for that motor, and wire up the v-tec manually. Honda's suck I owned 5 of them in my life time, and still do this shit

i apologize blanco. i posted having never seen anyone build a n/a D to 170whp and still be streetable. i'd love to see one, and agree it's possible, just i doubt it's possible for $4k without boost, but then it's all about combination. if you really obsessed about blueprinting and balancing everything that even thinks about rotating, then spent countless sleepless nights assembling and double-checking everything, you could build a reasonably fast geo metro too. but why not just drop the extra $1k and have a better platform to build on? even so, the point of my post was "B's contain more potential than D's." just up the whp numbers, say to 200? unless of course you own a 200whp daily driven D. then i'll shut up :p

Last edited:
I never suggested that throwing pricey parts at an engine was a good idea. I only disputed the fact that you claim a similarly powered D can be had by anyone(you never said "anyone" before you point that out, however you implied it) for cheaper than the cost of a swap. some people don't have the knowledge to do any of the build themselves, or the tools for that matter. your cost analysis is based on you doing all of the "grunt work" so to speak, such as removing the engine, disassembling the whole thing, checking what clearances you can, gathering the hard parts needed before the build (pistons and rings especially,) and lugging that all that to the various places they need to be machined at.

not everyone here owns an engine hoist, and therefore can not remove their own engine. not everyone has garage space (or space on their mothers driveway) to stash all their various bolts/brackets/radiators/manifolds/crossmembers/mounts/etc. not everyone is willing to load a greasy block/head/crank into their daily driver and taxi that around. then the most obvious, not everyone has a backup car, and cant afford their daily driver to be scattered across their driveway for a month. without doing all that yourself, the cost of any build goes up substantially.

which brings me right back to my initial post.. Dollar for dollar, the D-series is a great bargain, however it has it's limitations, whatever those may be!

I like you blanco, i think you're very intelligent, and very helpful to the entire site. however i feel that you think this entire threadjack(which i'm sorry for by the way) is in some how an attack on you, or your good word. to put that to rest, it is not at all, so I'll end this rant with this post. feel free to clear up any misunderstanding, then lets move on.

Last edited:
ouch^ lol BLANCO OWNS ANOTHER!!!
and im going to add to it,you do not have to have a lift to pull a motor,you can bring it out from the bottom,
and to further stress what blanco said,,the problem nowadays is that you get ignorant people,that dont do research,their own work or anything,,
they just want to have a fast motor built,so they can one up someone else,they dont bother looking into anything,and they are afraid to even try to learn something..

i pulled my motor out in my driveway,with makeshift lift,i put my own motor back in(with the same makeshift lift) you wanna know who helped me???
my moms boyfriend that has no experience with honda,EFI,FWD,and a small engine bay...

so before you go saying shit isnt capable,maybe you should do some research,and get facts instead of basing of opinions

well first off, i own an engine hoist. i do all my own work on my vehicles. i have built two D's and one B from the ground up. my automotive experience relating to hondas is very small compared to toyotas. i do have a job where i work a minimum of 10 hours a day, 6 days a week (i'm a postal carrier in phoenix, where it often gets over 115degrees in the summer), and have three children, yet still manage to find time and energy to maintain/swap/repair mine, and my friends vehicles. the series of circumstances i described weren't pertaining to myself. i am merely pointing out that there are people who prefer to drop in a more reliable, more powerful engine than taking the time to build one themselves for whatever reason. i assume there are a select few who dont live in southern california with a capable tuner withing 10 miles of their home just waiting to give that "good tune." and no one should ever follow injen's example of a "makeshift" lift. which he likely jacked his car up, put on jackstands, put jack on a block of wood, the repeated. engine hoists can be rented for little money if you look around, and the risk of dropping your vehicle, or engine on one of your loved ones isn't worth saving a few dollars.

but back to blanco, it all boiled down to my own inexperience. i have never seen a D built to that extent (even 170whp) just like you mentioned. but again, my initial comment was that the D was a great bang for the buck, i was mistaken on their capabilities however. with that said, there are still those who will swap in a B rather than build a D, and not out of ignorance, or incompetence. and before either of you do a quick google and find me a tuner in alaska, or maine, who is capable of a good tune, it's all about convenience. some aren't willing to drive their rough running, fresh build 200miles to get to that tuner. besides, there's no need to justify why they did it, if you believe they are ignorant, then by all means, believe it. they are building their vehicle for their own enjoyment, not to please you, or anyone else.

and no one should ever follow injen's example of a "makeshift" lift. which he likely jacked his car up, put on jackstands, put jack on a block of wood, the repeated. engine hoists can be rented for little money if you look around, and the risk of dropping your vehicle, or engine on one of your loved ones isn't worth saving a few dollars. .
you are a fucktard,,an engine hoist...you know,the thing that lifts the motor out of the enigne bay from the top of the car,so you dont have to pull it from underneath?!?!?!
and this makeshift lift has lifted 454's out of trucks,,hell its lifted an entire ford truck off the ground,so before you try insulting my intelligence,well just get a little yourself,to me your just another newb that will move on within the next month or two..so while your here,try to provide useful,knowledgable info,and not useless opinionated info...
thanx, have a nice day:D

Back