hacking into a laptop

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

haccord141

At work one of my many bosses gave me a laptop computer so i could hack into it and try and get info they need. They thing is i have no idea what to do.

the os is windows 2000 professional

does anyone know how to hack into one with physicaly fucking the comp. up?

thanks in advance for any help!!!!

peace
Jeff

If you're asking the question I doubt you have the knowledge or understanding of how to go about it.
But if you're trying to bypass the startup password prompt, you can do so by having a win2k install cd. Boot from the CD and you should be able to go around the password or at leats change it. Not sure whether it'll work, but that's what I would try.

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre@Nov 29 2003, 11:04 AM
If you're asking the question I doubt you have the knowledge or understanding of how to go about it.
But if you're trying to bypass the startup password prompt, you can do so by having a win2k install cd. Boot from the CD and you should be able to go around the password or at leats change it. Not sure whether it'll work, but that's what I would try.

i don't have the windows2k cd?

I am open to anything, if anyone knows a little bit, tell me about it and i will try or does anyone know a website or websites to check to do this?

Originally posted by haccord141+Nov 29 2003, 10:29 AM-->
La_Pieuvre
@Nov 29 2003, 11:04 AM

i don't have the windows2k cd?

I am open to anything, if anyone knows a little bit, tell me about it and i will try or does anyone know a website or websites to check to do this?

Well there's not much you can do then...NT kernels are designed not to be broken into easily. I doubt you'll be able to do it. As far as websites, google it up and you'll find a few.
Good Luck

you could take the hd ot and slave it in to another computer then you should be able to get just about any thing you want off the disk. But you will have to have a special adapter to put a laptop hd in a desktop. but this angle should be very efective

how much information needs to be taken off? If it's just a couple of mbs you can export it onto a floppy... I sugguest you first get a windows 98 cd and use it to boot into DOS. After you get into dos, find the files they need and just copy it over to a floppy... it's not rocket science.... :D

i know on desktop computers if you open up the case there are a couple connectors you can remove and then replace in order to erase the startup password. but i dont know where they would be if anywhere on a laptop. i would fuck with it concidering it must not be yours or your bosses computer.

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre@Nov 29 2003, 12:04 PM

even booting off the windows install CD will require the password for the admin account.

97hatch
has the best idea, you'll need to get an adapter for the laptop hard drive to run it in a desktop system, and this system must also be running windows 2000

don't bother with a win98 boot disk or CD because win98 uses a FAT partition table and won't be able to read the win2k's NTFS file system.

other than that all you can do is use brute force to crack the pass word.
there are some utilities out there that will recover the admin account password, but you need to be able to log into the admin account or at least get the OS booted into a users account.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 29 2003, 12:53 PM
ok, before we can offer you advice on how to get "in"

where are you getting stopped?

i turn the laptop on, and it boots up to the " Log On to Windows " screen.

There is no admin account, I had IT come over and look at it.

User name: david
Password: (a blinking curser(sp?))

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Nov 29 2003, 12:52 PM
there are some utilities out there that will recover the admin account password, but you need to be able to log into the admin account or at least get the OS booted into a users account.

What utilities would these be?

I have a laptop that i bought 4 months ago and i got in and changed the password, and i cant remember the fucking password. I can get in thru another user's account, but its a limited one.

ok, for the orig. question--

basically what you need to do is to hack the SAM, or secuirty accounts manager.

do not attempt this if you aren't sure what I'm saying... it could render shit useles.

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM, there are keys and values, which are in turn stored in %systemroot%\system32\config

if you are fat32, boot your MAIN working computer into dos mode via a win 98 floppy...
if you are ntfs, you're going to have to get to the dos prompt the best way you knwo how (i'm not sure what o/s you are on)

once at a c: prompt enter a blank pre-formatted floppy into A:
enter:
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam a:

if it gives you an error, that means its hidden

you need to set attrib -h

then run the copy.

now, time to hack into the laptop.

get to a dos prompt the same way.

basically, what you are going to do is rename the current sam (DO NOT DELETE IT!!!!! (ren SAM SAM_old)
then, copy the A: sam to c:\..\..\sam

reboot normally

login with your normal machines user/pass

you are in.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 29 2003, 08:58 PM
ok, for the orig. question--

basically what you need to do is to hack the SAM, or secuirty accounts manager.

do not attempt this if you aren't sure what I'm saying... it could render shit useles.

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM, there are keys and values, which are in turn stored in %systemroot%\system32\config

if you are fat32, boot your MAIN working computer into dos mode via a win 98 floppy...
if you are ntfs, you're going to have to get to the dos prompt the best way you knwo how (i'm not sure what o/s you are on)

once at a c: prompt enter a blank pre-formatted floppy into A:
enter:
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam a:

if it gives you an error, that means its hidden

you need to set attrib -h

then run the copy.

now, time to hack into the laptop.

get to a dos prompt the same way.

basically, what you are going to do is rename the current sam (DO NOT DELETE IT!!!!! (ren SAM SAM_old)
then, copy the A: sam to c:\..\..\sam

reboot normally

login with your normal machines user/pass

you are in.

also if it is a Win2000 machine, the directory will be c:\winnt\system32\config\sam

:blink:

I knowo my fair share about computer hardware but never got into the hacking side of things. ...that was pretty amazing B.

Originally posted by Circuit@Nov 29 2003, 12:28 PM
how much information needs to be taken off? If it's just a couple of mbs you can export it onto a floppy... I sugguest you first get a windows 98 cd and use it to boot into DOS. After you get into dos, find the files they need and just copy it over to a floppy... it's not rocket science.... :D

unless its built on NTFS... :)

And as far as the a+ exam goes, I took that with a hangover at age 18, using the study manual as a doorstop, and I missed 2 questions on the hardware... Damn 8 pin dot matrix printers.. I couldn't remember how to rebuild the heads... :lol:

if its a bioos password just unplug your power supply, or on old comps even a fan, and replug it in.
by breaking the circuit it refreshes it.

how do you get into ms-dos mode if i can't completely boot up the laptop. It is windows2k?

I went into the w2k advanced opyions menu and this is what i got:

Please select an option:

safe mode
safemode w/ networking
safemode w/ command prompt

enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last known good config
directory services restore mode (w2k domain controllers only)
debugging mode

boot normally

what do i do to get into ms-dos mode without the laptop completely booting up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back