Had your perspective check?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
:ph34r:

frLHu.jpg

there have been alot of these types of pictures/animations popping up. very cool stuff indeed.

gonna have to show this to my buddy Marc, he's a space nut.. has his own theory on blackholes/wormholes and everything.. lol

So let me get this straight, what Kim Kardashian snorted for breakfast doesn't matter to the entire universe?????

I don't understand how they can measure these things.

like 8 billion light years. How do you know it's that far away unless you've been recording it for 8 billion years?

I don't understand how they can measure these things.

like 8 billion light years. How do you know it's that far away unless you've been recording it for 8 billion years?
Parallax

honestly, sometimes, not all of the time, they just throw numbers out there to sound amazing.

i can't imagine the decimal points.

1 degree at 100 feet is a few inches off course.

1 light year is 5,878,630,000,000 miles.

8 BILLION of those?
thats 8 billion times ~ 6 trillion.

4.8 × 10^22

or
Code:
miles away
if my math is correct.
bring that down to feet! X5280!

it's absurd to think that anything can be remotely accurate, even using the paralax. You'd have to turn it into something the size of the empire state building, zoomed into pixels to get your .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000124xxxxxx degrees you need to make it happen.

And then of course, the earth roates.... so, you almost have to factor in Pi somewhere. lol
and I'm fairly certain these other objects are in motion as well.... so you need to factor in pi of them as well as their circumference (or something to that effect)

It's absurd with a +/- estimation of error of like 10 billion miles. lol

Getting our math geek on in this thread we are. I think it amazes me more that we have humans that are capable of figuring this stuff out. Even if the +/- is in the billions. My hat is off to them.

B, we really can be that accurate. You should see the crap I deal with all the time.

Back