Had your perspective check?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i think i would be willing to be killed if i could learn something awesome like that.

curiosity killed the cat, but at least he died knowing.

i think i would be willing to be killed if i could learn something awesome like that.

curiosity killed the cat, but at least he died knowing.

Dieing for access to a formula is a no go for me. Now if I could get hooked up with a trip into space I would have to seriously consider it.

The correct response is, sure but then you'd have to kill him.

That too- but it really would be worse to tell and then erase than to just not say anything at all.

Dieing for access to a formula is a no go for me. Now if I could get hooked up with a trip into space I would have to seriously consider it.

I could probably arrange to strap you to a missile for a test flight. :lol:

Nope. Would probably be more violent than that though!

I will take 2 dozen to go please. Kthxby!

Extremely fun. :D

I'll have your order right up! Just remember, you have to buy the launcher and all the ground equipment too. :D

"just because our planet is small doesn't mean we are stupid... " Megan C.
Matthews.

you can also determine distance based on the brightness

how do you know how bright it is?

a 50 watt bulb and a 100 watt bulb are both dim lights at 300 yards. :D

that, and the fact that if you leave your camera pointed at a 50 watt bulb with the exposure set to a couple of seconds, you can make that 50 watt-er look like a flood light.

Since I don't want to do any research on my own... I have a question for you astronomy guru's.

Which one of those stars in the comparison would fill our entire solar systems space? As in, the distance from Neptunes furthest reaches in it's orbit from the sun on one side to the other? And, what is that distance anyway?

your question intrigued me, so i did a little research on this....

Neptune at its farthest point is about 2,829,691,160 miles (4,553,946,490 km) from the sun

Betelgeuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Betelgeuse is a red supergiant, and one of the largest and most luminous stars known. For comparison, if the star were at the center of our solar system its surface might extend out to between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, wholly engulfing Mercury, Venus, the Earth and Mars.
In July 2009, images released by European Southern Observatory, taken by the ground based Very Large Telescope, gave a more detailed view of the surface of the star[28]. In the picture a plume of gas is seen extending from the star. This plume extends six times the diameter of Betelgeuse itself[29]. This is comparable to the distance between the Sun and Neptune.
Betelgeuse is a semiregular variable star located approximately 640 light-years from the Earth[5]
VY Canis Majoris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VY Canis Majoris (VY CMa) is a red hypergiant star located in the constellation Canis Major. At between 1800 and 2100 solar radii (approx 2,500,000,000 to 2,900,000,000 km across or 1,550,000,000 to 1,800,000,000 miles), it is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous known. It is located about 1.5 kiloparsecs (4.6×1016 km) or about 4,900 light years away from Earth.

so the short answer is no star could completely engulf the solar system... but the gas cloud around Betelgeuse is about the size of our solar system

:shrug2:

oh.... and this
pluto.jpg

poor Pluto

Last edited:
That is interesting to think about. The largest star we know of is somewhat over half the size of our entire solar systems orbital size.

Also, awesome tshirt.

Some of you guys sound like a curmudgeon. “You and your voodoo whichcraft magic called science“. Haha

Back