Haggling on a CBR?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
Hey folks, what would be a good price to negotiate for a new CBR? I'm looking at a new one or a slightly used 2006, 2007 and putting a steering stabilizer on it. Not sure I'm even gonna get one, just figured I would ask. My buell has shit for power, and I'd like something I don't have to physically push to get to 90.

depends on your market. I believe all the 06s and 07s have a built in dampener.
anywho, if its brand new, maybe high 9s but I doubt you'll find a 2 year old brand new bike.

used? again depends on the local market, check craigslist, ebay, and local dealership stock to see how they're priced.

Why a honda? and are you sure you want to make the jump to a 1000? the CBR600 would spank the buell in everyway posible.

Hey folks, what would be a good price to negotiate for a new CBR? I'm looking at a new one or a slightly used 2006, 2007 and putting a steering stabilizer on it. Not sure I'm even gonna get one, just figured I would ask. My buell has shit for power, and I'd like something I don't have to physically push to get to 90.
do some research buddy.

the 2007 cbr came with hesd. electronic steering stampening.

and you MIGHT be able to find a 2007 new at a dealer that wasn't sold.

edit: stupid meeting. jeffie beat me to it.

do some research buddy.

the 2007 cbr came with hesd. electronic steering stampening.

and you MIGHT be able to find a 2007 new at a dealer that wasn't sold.

edit: stupid meeting. jeffie beat me to it.

by 2 minutes fooool

I just purchased an 07 cbr, new for $9700 out the door. Well, A few months ago anyway. Look up coyote honda in arizona and see if they have any left. They had over a dozen, including the last couple of "new" 2007 repsol editions.. They had a few of each color. You could probably talk them down to 9k out the door with the 09's coming out.

They are a shitty dealership to work with, but hey, I got the bike I wanted at the price I wanted.

depends on your market. I believe all the 06s and 07s have a built in dampener.
anywho, if its brand new, maybe high 9s but I doubt you'll find a 2 year old brand new bike.

used? again depends on the local market, check craigslist, ebay, and local dealership stock to see how they're priced.

Why a honda? and are you sure you want to make the jump to a 1000? the CBR600 would spank the buell in everyway posible.
Yeah, i was talking about the 600rr. My friends got a gsxr, as does everyone around here, and i just kinda wanted something different. not a lot of hondas around here. maybe for a reason?

Well, $9,700 out the door was a 1krr that had a sticker of roughly $11,500.

Hondas put their power down a little differently than most, making little more power mid-range but falling a little short at the top of the RPMs. You can feel them drop some power a hair before redline. Now, this difference, although evident on a graph, is pretty negligible. Anyway, this is why hondas are less popular as far as I can tell. I believe they are more technologically advanced and better refined than the others in the same class / price range.

Read this: 2008 Supersport Shootout: CBR600RR vs Daytona 675 vs ZX-6R vs R6 vs GSX-R600 - Motorcycle.com

Or google motorcycle 600 shootout to get different results for different years.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought the honda, and am 10000% happy with it.

by 2 minutes fooool
yeah, i hit the reply button then got called out in the middle of the post.

anyways, it depends on what you want. don't just buy something to be different.

they are all different. you need to sit on each bike for about an hour and feel which you like best. bikes take more time to pick out than cars.

hondas=mid range power and hesd
gsxr=shorter and narrower seat
r6=lots of top end power
kawi=green

I really like the design of them. I like the exhaust, didn't know about the power range. Not lookin for so much outta the hole that the bike flips over if i get on it. I was talking to the salesman at the local honda store, and he was talking about how the flywheel they use is heavier than the lightweight one they use in the gsxr. that means i don't have to rev it as much. I did ride a gsxr, and it kicked ass, but I had to rev the shit out of it to get it to go anywhere. I actually stalled it out three times pulling into his driveway. would the honda be better for that?

the range of the power can easily be adjusted with a different sprocket. you can take an R6 with all top end, put a sprocket on it, and you have tq like no other. the bikes are pretty much all the same. i mean, there are a couple little differences, but most of it is appearance. get the one you like to look at and feel comfortable on.

or you could just build a supermotard and spank every one out there in the twisties:D:D:D, straights are outa their league but anyone can hold it wide open on the straights

Let me know when you want to try keeping me in your sight on a backroad with me on my GSX-R

anywho OP, bottom line, don't buy a bike for any other reason then its the bike that fits YOUR ass.

hondas=mid range power and hesd
gsxr=shorter and narrower seat
r6=lots of top end power
kawi=green
Your list makes no sense to me. are you talking an R6 and a 1000RR? if so apples and oranges bike wise, the 600RR doesn't have topend issues unlike the 1000RR

Honda 600RR (current) makes about the same power everywhere as the R6 as the GSX-R as the ZX6R...

the Honda 1000RR of 07 and before, had great mid range but not much up top, but that's a whole difference class of bike then the 600s aka R6. the new 1000RR 08+ seems to make great power most everywhere.

The Kawi known for Green, is one of the better performers out there. I think from 06+ the ZX10R has looked like total shit but the 04-05 ZX10R is a bike that even to this day will put most any slightly worse then great rider, right on their ass faster then any other bike period. hell, that bike right after it came out was running low 9s with an exhaust and different sproket.

As of 2008/2009 most all the 600s are like splitting hairs, the 1000s are also very close with looks and ass fit being the main reason for what to buy.

Last edited:
Not lookin for so much outta the hole that the bike flips over if i get on it.

If it makes you feel any better, with it being cold out now, if I want the bike to pull the front end up I have to ease it up, if I hit the throttle the rear tire will just spin.

My stock GSX-R will pull the front off the ground no matter what I do if I'm running at full throttle, (with warm enough pavement to hold the tire) 2nd gear will also come up no matter what, as with 3rd gear, no matter what I do, the front will come off the ground. Very controllable since it's not like it swings up stunter style but it comes up like when you see the moto GP bikes pulling the fronts up as they exit corners.

2nd to 3rd gear shift is right around 130. so top of 3rd gear with the front up is... not slow....

Sounds like you need to get yourself a 600 to start with. Check out used Honda CBR F4is 2001 and 2002 when they had the solo seats. 2003+ they switched to a shitty banana seat to space the bike out a bit farther from the then new 600RR

:D

easy to ride
fun as hell
confidence inspiring
great learning curve
cheap to mod and repair

E: You'll be pleased to know that I'm seriously considering a SM. Honda makes a nice street legal one now.

OP: Wow. You're going to jump from a decently powered bike, onto a superbike. Be sure your will is up to date. You're proposing switching from a buell blast to a sportsbike. Do you know how different that's going to be? If I had a penny every time.............

I want to tell you not to switch right to a sports bike. Especially if you're so concerned about steering stabilization. I don't know, it just seems like you don't know what you're doing yet.

If you want to die fast (pun intended), by all means, get the biggest bike you can afford, and do it. See my previous comments about the will.

Last edited:
Going from a "buell" to a 600cc sportsbike isn't a giant leap. He's on the right track. A buell isn't exactly a moped. No idea what cc it was, but you could easily go from a 250cc to a 600cc sportbike, given that you actually got some good seat time with the 250.

Let me know when you want to try keeping me in your sight on a backroad with me on my GSX-R

um ok, but remember a fireroad counts as a backroad, the ones w/ potholes, ( well jumps in my case), and loose gravel, tree branches and stuff in the way, and maybe even a construction part, which favors in my case since i can just jump over any such obstacles and to keep it fair i'll even keep my slicks on just for you. unless you want to go urban style then we can race across town and see who gets there first, yet again i can rip across parking lots and ride down and up flights of stairs to other parking lots and jump to where ever i feel the need
haha umm but its all good cuz if you drop your bike it prolly wont cost that much to repair it right?:D

Well, i know its a 70hp gain, but i'm not a complete moron to riding. i've ridden my friends gsxr 600 a couple times, and a sportster 1200 with a little build to it. I honestly don't believe the 600 will be too powerful. I know the pecking order on the road. The bike is the boss, and i'm everyone else's bitch.

a 600 will be fine. if you ride it right, you will keep up with a lot of people on 1000s.

i've seen a lot of people who pick an r1 for there first bike, then dump it a couple weeks later.

Back