Half Shaft Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

quiltyw

I have a 1992 Honda Civic LX which blew a head gasket a while back. I got a ZC engine and a M24A transmission to replace the stock D15B7 engine and the stock M24A transmission. The tranny was slipping also so that's probable what wrecked the engine (so im told). Anyways I get it all put back together. Starts (YEHHHHH) and put it into gear and the passenger half shaft pops out. And a slight grinding sound from the tranny. I put it back on stands and I can pop the shafts in and out with my hands no pry bar or screw driver needed to remove the shaftes from the transmission. Are the transmissions from Japan a diffrent size in the diffrencial? If so what is the correct size of haft shaft for the tranny? Please advise!!!

Wally

Originally posted by quiltyw@Dec 24 2004, 11:08 AM
I have a 1992 Honda Civic LX which blew a head gasket a while back. I got a ZC engine and a M24A transmission to replace the stock D15B7 engine and the stock M24A transmission. The tranny was slipping also so that's probable what wrecked the engine (so im told). Anyways I get it all put back together. Starts (YEHHHHH) and put it into gear and the passenger half shaft pops out. And a slight grinding sound from the tranny. I put it back on stands and I can pop the shafts in and out with my hands no pry bar or screw driver needed to remove the shaftes from the transmission. Are the transmissions from Japan a diffrent size in the diffrencial? If so what is the correct size of haft shaft for the tranny? Please advise!!!

Wally
[post=436774]Quoted post[/post]​

Make sure that the keeper rings are in place on the splines and that the shafts are going in all the way. If they are not snapping in then spread out the rings a little.

Yea, make sure the snap rings are all in place.

OK... Here's the deal. The diffrenal's are diffrenent sizes. I took the old tranny which came out of the car and the new/used one to a tranny guy. He took his special calipers and inspected the differentals of the two transmissions and they are diffrent sizes yet the transmissions are of the same model. The driveshafts that I have are as follows 24 3/4, 37 1/4 the tranny end on the splines is 1.022 and I need it to be bigger any one know what size it should be? Also anybody heard of such a thing? Also what type of a car could I get the shafts out of??

Wally

thats weird, I'm not a d series expert but I thought all d series trans were compatable with each other, and all you need to do is use your stock axle.

I know I had problems with my hub being fucked but a new one solved that fairly simply.

I suggest you wait til someone who know\s more about the d series to chime in.

So BUMP for you.

Just to conclude this issue what I ended up doing is getting two half shafts out of a 92 Acura Integra. Using the End from one and getting the end from a Accord that was the same size but longer to lock in. I simply put the end onto my stock driveshafts. That meant that the passengerside was all good. The drivers side was 98% there the stock oil seal that is on the drivers side was too small insted of the stock 35 X 56 X 8 I needed a 40 X 56 X 8. And now it's all ducky. If I could just fix this ECU problem we'd be set.

Wally

Back